123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Software to turn movies into an iPhone app?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Software to turn movies into an iPhone app? Reply with quote

Jamie Oliver has brought out a recipe app called "20 minute meals", complete with shopping lists, video clips and still photos. I can't imagine how much he paid the development team, but I'm sure that it's a damn sight more than I could afford to pay.

But this got me thinking. Suppose you stripped out the fancy graphics and GPS awareness and just had a standalone iPhone app that basically behaved like a DVD; the opening screen would have a number of selectable menu items each of which leads to a video clip.

Does anyone know of a Mac application that can take a few movies and turn them into a standalone iPhone app with a selection menu? My Google searches have come up with nothing.

P.S. If it doesn't exist, I'll be wishing that I could code in Objective C. There's a metric buttload of money waiting for the person who develops this...
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't be difficult to do. Even if you don't know much about Objective C the iphone sdk examples are pretty easy to follow and change.

Why do you think there is a shed load of money to be made from a video selector?
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris..S wrote:
It shouldn't be difficult to do. Even if you don't know much about Objective C the iphone sdk examples are pretty easy to follow and change.

I don't want the app that creates apps to run on my iPod Touch, I want it to run on my Mac.

I want to be able to drag (say) 4 five-minute QuickTime videos that have been resized to the iPhone screen resolution (360x240) from my HDD into my imaginary Mac app (let's call it "iPhilm" because I am a branding genius Wink Very Happy ). Then I want to give iPhilm a text label for each movie. Then I want to hit the "Export" button. At this point, iPhilm outputs either the code for an iPhone app (to be run using the iPhone SDK) or just outputs an iPhone executable. This is now a standalone app that combines the movies, the movie viewer and the selection menu.

When I run the app on my iPhone/iPod Touch, the front end is a menu of the four text labels. When I tap any of the labels, the chosen movie runs.

Chris..S wrote:
Why do you think there is a shed load of money to be made from a video selector?

Many eBooks are available as formatted text files that one can import into an eBook viewing app. However, it's also possible to buy some eBooks as a self-contained iPhone app that includes the book and the viewer. By selling this way, publishers avoid the plethora of eBook formats, avoid the hassle of ensuring that an eBook is compatible with all eBook viewing software and get the advantages of the anti-piracy measures that are built in to the iTunes store.

If it was possible to give all of these advantages to people who want to sell videos I think that there would be many takers.

Just think about it: offering a means of generating iPhone apps without knowing a line of code. Oh yeah, that'd make some money.... Cool
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the nearest that I've come to automated iPhone app creation is Adobe's "Packager for iPhone". But it doesn't package movies, it packages ActionScript projects....

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashcs5/appsfor_iphone/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: