123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 7 32bit or 64bit which works best?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newbie1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Windows 7 32bit or 64bit which works best? Reply with quote

HI

I'm new to apple mac mini...just bought a new 2.53,500hd,4ram and would like to install windows 7

Can anyone tell me if it is best to stick with 32bit for less problems or does 64bit work better and just and faultless on the mac mini?

Also do i need to update any software for this to work properly in bootcamp?

Cheers Very Happy
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Newbie1.

Interesting question.

The Mini supports 64 bit.

But if you've got access to both versions (32bit & 64bit) why not do an install comparison.

Seems to me, it might ultimately be the only way to find out which is best for you & your situation.

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
newbie1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:
Hi Newbie1.

Interesting question.

The Mini supports 64 bit.

But if you've got access to both versions (32bit & 64bit) why not do an install comparison.

Seems to me, it might ultimately be the only way to find out which is best for you & your situation.

Aqua

Thanks for your help

I phoned apple Oz to ask if bootcamp suppports windows 7 as there was something on the website about it coming out latter this year...but they said the software update hasnt been released yet.....so why is it that people can still install and run windows 7? Or will the support just allow for better recognition of mac drivers etc?
mdgm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use Virtualisation software to run Windows 7.

Vista drivers should work for most things in Windows 7 and a bit of driver hunting on the internet should solve most of the rest when using Boot Camp.
2011 Mini Server
NAS - 10 x ReadyNAS units
bigbird888

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running windows 7 64-bit on bootcamp. Not a problem.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newbie1 wrote:
why is it that people can still install and run windows 7? Or will the support just allow for better recognition of mac drivers etc?

People have been running it since the first RC version. It is supported 'unofficially', but with caveats. Since W7 is built largely around Vista, so most of the stuff works....(well as best as MS can make it work Wink).

In my opinion, the reason in part why Apple has been slow in releasing the Boot-camp support for W7, has probably much to do with the fact that Microsoft releases major Service Pack upgrades within 12 to 18 months. At least that has been the case with Vista & XP. Apple is left to deal with a certain amount of 'unknowns' that have to be accommodated for. So they're probably waiting to let the dust settle a bit more.

In the meantime, as other posters have pointed out, you can always chose virtualization options.

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Signore Rossi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Windows 7 64bit Reply with quote

Hello there,
I have made very good experiences with Win7/x64 on my late 09 Mac Mini.
I didn't use Apple's drivers, but downloaded the newest from Nvidia's site (chipset nForce 730i, graphics Geforce 9400M) and Realtek's site (high definition audio codec). Also, I installed the Apple Bootcamp 64bit tools from the SL DVD.
It really runs awesome! Much faster then WinXP/SP3 and more reliable! And when you switch off aero it doesn't even hurt the eyes... Laughing
Greetz from Germany.
Gerd
newbie1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Windows 7 64bit Reply with quote

Do you know if it is possible to purchase an upgrade version ( which is cheaper than the full) and upgrade from XP....(or can it only be VISTA??)

Am i restricted to buying a full version of W7 and installing in bootcamp?
Signore Rossi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Windows 7 64bit Reply with quote

newbie1 wrote:
Do you know if it is possible to purchase an upgrade version ( which is cheaper than the full) and upgrade from XP....(or can it only be VISTA??)

AFAIK, there is a possibility to do that, you have to search the net for the "workaround" to do this. And, if you have a legal version of XP, it's legal, too.

In Germany, it's not necessary. Here, it's legal to buy a Systems Builder version, which is similar to the full version in installation process and has a similar price to the upgrade...

Gerd
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: VM Solutions and XP Reply with quote

I have recently tried the latest versions of Parallels and VMWare on the Mac Mini with Windows XP Pro, SP 3. It's taken me about two weeks to get a working transfer from my existing PC Laptop. VMWare is supposed to work over an ethernet network link between the two computers, but I was unable to get that to work. Parallels offers a USB cable in their switch to mac box which I was able to get to work. However, it took four transfers to get a working system. Windows authenticates after the transfer over the internet and that seemed to work OK even though I repeated the process four times. However for my wife's computer which is an OEM version, it did not work. You must have an upgraded version of XP apparently and not a virgin OEM version that came with the laptop. Generally Parallels seems a bit faster but it has a flaw in running up 100% of the CPU and preventing mouse clciks. Only repeating the transfer fixed the problem. So far, it hasn't returned, knock on wood. As to performance, both VM versions are considerable faster than my PC Laptop they are replacing. If you get either version to work, the other version will import it which is how I got VMWare to work, by importing the Parallels version so I now have two 80 GB images on my Mac Mini. I'll delete one when I am convinced which one is the most reliable.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
Squonk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick aside on this. I did have Win7 32 bit installed under Boot Camp and then I had Fusion picking up that installation from the Boot Camp partition. Does that work equally well with 64 bit as it seemed to with 32 bit?

I can't try this right now as the MacBook Pro I had it on was stolen shortly after I installed Win7 - possibly that was a judgement on me putting Windows on there Laughing Still waiting for the replacement machine - but when I do get it I would plan to put a minimal Win7 installation on there too so I just want to pre-arm myself as to whether to go 32 bit or 64 bit. I have access to both versions via Technet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: