123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turn Off/On Mac Mini with apple remote?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kld

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Turn Off/On Mac Mini with apple remote? Reply with quote

I just bought a Mac Mini a week ago with the new Apple Remote made of alluminium. The remote has a fantastic quality. I have installed XBMC on the mac.

My question is: how can the mac mini powered on by just pressing the menu button on the apple remote?

XBMC has a setting to power off the whole mac mini.

Currently I quit xbmc , leave the mac mini on the desktop screen and let the energy saving settings do the rest. I'm only back in the evening, I'd like to save a little energy on the power consumption...
Fazzy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only sleep and wake with the Apple Remote. Sleep by holding down the play button and wake by basically pressing anything. On the bright side, the Mac mini pretty dang energy-efficient. You are not wasting a ton of electricity by having it in sleep mode.
dannyv45
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazzy wrote:
You can only sleep and wake with the Apple Remote. Sleep by holding down the play button and wake by basically pressing anything. On the bright side, the Mac mini pretty dang energy-efficient. You are not wasting a ton of electricity by having it in sleep mode.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I though you hold down the "menu" button for 5 or more seconds puts the mini to sleep.

I use a harmony remote so its been a long time since trying it with the apple remote.

A very frequent question here on the forums is "Is it safe or will it burn out my mini" to only use sleep mode.

The answer is it is actually the prefered way. It actually creates less ware a tare on the mini. The reason for this is your not jolting the mini with frequent start-up voltage. It uses very little power in sleep mode because power is not supplied to hardware components such as hard drive, CPU, fan etc. When asleep, Just a small amound of power is supplied to keep volatile system state data stored in memory intact. It allows you to get back to work faster because you don't need to wait for a full boot.

I've been sleeping my mini for at least 2 years and never had problems..

Last edited by dannyv45 on Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Art Vandelay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play/Pause is how you sleep a Mac with the Apple Remote.

Sleep uses about .5 - 1 watt more than a powered off Mac. Even when powered off, computers are still drawing power.

Lastly, turning a computer off and on does not stress a computer nor has it for many, many years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: