123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can a new 2010 Mac Mini run Leopard 10.5?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saxman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Can a new 2010 Mac Mini run Leopard 10.5? Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

Just joined the forum!

I've been a mac user for over a year and I'm considering a new Mac Mini as an addition to my other two Macs, laptop & desktop, and my concern is this.....

Can I remove Snow Leopard 10.6 on a new Mac Mini and install Leopard 10.5 instead?

Thanks!
Undo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've had 10.5.8 running on my late 2009 Mac mini from an external disk. It's actually pretty unusual to be able to do that. Nearly every other new Mac I've bought has required the version of OS X that it came with, or newer. That's not to say there might not be a change which would preclude it.
saxman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you think it would be possible running Leopard 10.5.4, which is what I have, from an external hard drive only?

I need to run an audio DAW software for recording and mixing which the software version that I use is not compatible nor will it ever be compatible with Snow Leopard.
Undo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect the Mac mini would run with 10.5.4 but I haven't tried it. I also haven't tried running 10.5.8 from the internal drive but it would probably work. If you want to be sure, you might want to look for an early 2009 mini instead. That would work for sure, and the computers are nearly identical except for processor speed.
ADent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to run the latest OS that was shipping when that model of Mac was introduced. Sounds like the mini has not changed HW wise. 10.5.6 was the original shipping version - so basically any version of 10.5.7 should work on the early 2009 minis.

So you would need to acquire 10.5.7 install disks or early 2009 mac mini install disks or build a 10.5.7 disk on an older Mac.
Undo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADent wrote:
You have to run the latest OS that was shipping when that model of Mac was introduced. Sounds like the mini has not changed HW wise. 10.5.6 was the original shipping version - so basically any version of 10.5.7 should work on the early 2009 minis.

So you would need to acquire 10.5.7 install disks or early 2009 mac mini install disks or build a 10.5.7 disk on an older Mac.

Good points. Since the early 2009 mini first shipped with 10.5.6, nothing earlier is likely to work for any of the 2009 minis. It's simple enough to install any 10.5.x on an external disk, upgrade it to 10.5.8 and then clone it to an internal drive, if you have all the available hardware. That would accomplish what the OP wants to do.
JustAnnuthaDewd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a new 2010 Mac Mini run Leopard 10.5? Reply with quote

saxman wrote:
I've been a mac user for over a year and I'm considering a new Mac Mini as an addition to my other two Macs, laptop & desktop, and my concern is this.....

Can I remove Snow Leopard 10.6 on a new Mac Mini and install Leopard 10.5 instead?

Yes. I actually did so myself using a known workaround. You can't install it directly because the hardware support isn't there until you get patched up to 10.5.8.

First, attach the mini to another Mac that is compatible with 10.5, then reboot the mini using Target Disc Mode.

Next, insert your 10.5 install disc into the Mac that is fully booted up. You will be installing 10.5 to the mini as if it were a connected external firewire drive.

Once 10.5 is installed, reboot the older Mac using the mini as the boot drive. Do NOT reboot the mini. Once booted up, update the OS up to 10.5.8. Once done, shut everything down, disconnect, then go at it. The Mac mini should be able to boot fine with 10.5.8.
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and then try running "Activity Monitor" and post back the results.

In my case I received an error "Application cannot run due to unsupported hardware", or something very close to that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: