123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I Really Need to Upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fouadbakht

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Do I Really Need to Upgrade Reply with quote

I know this might sound kinda silly but..........here it goes.........

I just paid a fortune and bought a 13" MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz) this November 2009. Its got 4GB DDR3, Nvidia 9400, 250GB HDD.

With the Core i7 and i5 round the corner, do I need to upgrade just to future proof? I use Aperture 2 and Final Cut apart from everyday computing. I got a 24" Dell 2409 LCD that I use for real estate.

Please put me wise. Thanks
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I would consider upgrading is the drive, with a higher capacity 7200 rpm drive and there's no hurry to do this. There is some debate as to whether you get the biggest speed benefit from faster spindle rotation (7200 vs 5400rpm) or data density (higher capacity drives have higher data density), but you can get both pretty cheaply nowadays in a single 2.5" drive. Or you can wait for the price of SSD's to decline, which they are doing rapidly.
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Future proof is a marketing gimick. Does the laptop do what you need it to do?

If the answer is yes, you're fine. If its no, you shouldn't have bought that laptop one month ago.

Laptops don't stop working when the manufacturer upgrades its product line. In the 2-3 year life of a laptop, they are bound to go through 2-3 sets of upgrades. Buy when you need, sure you can wait 6 months and get a better laptop for less, but can you do without a laptop for 6 months?

My personal opinion. If you can wait, you're particularly after bang for buck and feel your likely to be pushing existing hardware, then now is not the time to buy. In 6 months or so, high end laptops should have i5/i7, next gen nVidia or AMD graphics, usb 3.0 and sata 3.0 (important if you want an SSD). I'd reckon 15" MBP will be upgraded in that time period, probably longer for a 13". That was the situation one month ago too.
fouadbakht

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris & Fox
I guess one cant outrun the tech race. And yes I think that my current purchase is good enough for maybe another two years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: