123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WD My Passport for Mac 320Gb extHD-buyers beware!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ServiceTag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject: WD My Passport for Mac 320Gb extHD-buyers beware!? Reply with quote

helping my friend who was mistreated by Apple and since they couldn't fix it they did compensate him with this external USB 320GB 2.5" HD, model # WDBAAB3200ACH-NESN.
His idea was to upgrade his MacBook's original 80Gb HD for something bigger....

Well, after I took apart this a little puppy (BTW, worst case design ever - it's almost impossible to open it w/o breaking some clips no matter how careful you are..) I would expect only two possible scenarios for internal HD hook up - SATA or IDE, right?
Wrong!?
Some air head from WD (and I am sure other will now follow) came up with brilliant solution - internal 2.5" drive with no interface whatsoever!
Obviously, no way to reuse it in any laptop, MM or in any other HD case.

Can't believe this was all done because of cutting manuf. cost.....
ahatterschivalry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry what ??

How was he mistreated by apple ?

Which model mac ?

[also the thread title is pretty irrelevant]
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the Western Digital drive out of my 250GB enclosure without breaking the enclosure. I then installed it in my mini and it's working just fine.

Perhaps you should have watched a video on how to open the case. There are plenty on the internet.
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you referring to the external hard drive or the Mac Mini?
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat tangental, but I just picked up an Iomega Prestige 320gb external HD on a Boxing Day sale. I tried opening the case and got it 3/4 open, but couldn't figure out how to pop the last part unless there are screws under the rubber pieces. Anyone have this drive and know how to open it?

The other odd thing about it is that when you look at the drive under System Profiler (USB), it lists the drive, itself as Iomega. I didn't think this company made drives, just enclosures.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ0bgz3tyNk
This video clearly shows the SATA interface being removed from the drive.
You may want to turn down the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITObQxytdH4
This video shows how to open the case without breaking anything. This guy is sloppy as heck, he's using nail clippers and he didn't break the clips. The idea is to crack the case slightly and then slide the drive out of the clips. If you continue pulling up once the drive case is cracked then you will break the clips.

So crack, then slide.

Sorry Fox, I haven't had any experience with the Iomega case. I searched Youtube and couldn't find a video.
ServiceTag

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I took the Western Digital drive out of my 250GB enclosure without breaking the enclosure. I then installed it in my mini and it's working just fine.
Perhaps you should have watched a video on how to open the case. There are plenty on the internet.

Bandit Bill wrote:
...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITObQxytdH4
This video shows how to open the case without breaking anything. This guy is sloppy as heck, he's using nail clippers and he didn't break the clips. The idea is to crack the case slightly and then slide the drive out of the clips. If you continue pulling up once the drive case is cracked then you will break the clips.
So crack, then slide.

Sorry, but till you try to open this specific model you have no idea what I am talking about.
It's similar to the drive in this second video, but clips are different. No need to watch video for somebody who can fix Swiss watch....

I guess nobody got my message!
This 2.5" drive has integrated logic board and interface into one piece - there is NO way to install it in mini or anything else. This is the first time I ever seen something like this....
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ServiceTag wrote:
Sorry, but till you try to open this specific model you have no idea what I am talking about.
It's similar to the drive in this second video, but clips are different. No need to watch video for somebody who can fix Swiss watch....

I guess nobody got my message!
This 2.5" drive has integrated logic board and interface into one piece - there is NO way to install it in mini or anything else. This is the first time I ever seen something like this....

Interesting, I specifically search the 320GB model you mentioned. They are obviously different models than yours. It would be great if you could post a pic as I've never heard of anything like this either. Doesn't surprise me that Western Digital would do this to save a few bucks and perhaps encourage people to buy their raw drives for upgrades.

Thanks for the heads up. Sorry if it sounds like I bashed you. It's just what you said seemed hard to believe.
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the two videos. What a pain in the butt! What is the point of doing this? It would be much simpler and cheaper to buy a plain drive at Fry's, format it and stick in the Mac Mini than to bother prying one out of an enclosure like this.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
I watched the two videos. What a pain in the butt! What is the point of doing this? It would be much simpler and cheaper to buy a plain drive at Fry's, format it and stick in the Mac Mini than to bother prying one out of an enclosure like this.

In my case, I bought a 250GB WD external for about $80. I installed the 250GB in my mini and put the 80GB dirve from the mini into the enclosure to use with my laptop. It seemed like an alright thing to do at the time. I'm not to sure if today's HD prices would dictate this being a good way to go, but it worked for me at the time. Originally I hadn't even planned on doing the swap.
Undo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this on more than one occasion myself....buy a portable drive and swap its disk with the smaller one in your computer. What you have left is a usable portable drive to use for backups or whatever. I prefer this method to buying an empty enclosure and bare drive.

But I've never heard of a portable drive you couldn't do this with!!!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I found another unswitchable portable, the Iomega Prestige 320 that I asked how to open. I got it open far enough to see that it didn't have the usual SATA connector; the connection looked to be soldered to a board. Good thing I happened to read this thread or I wouldn't have known what to look for. I got this drive on a Boxing Day special for $70, but once I saw what it was I returned it for a refund. No way I want this kind of drive even for a good price. If the enclosure goes South, you have no options.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes wd makes the 2.5inch 1tb with a hard wired usb connection. I wrote about this on an older post wd makes the newr 2.5 inch 750gb with a hard wired usb connection.

newegg bad portable

go to this page all the long ones are good by long 5" they can be turned into a normal sata.

by short 4.3" these are all fu

newegg 5 inch good 4.3 inch no good

all the 4.3 inch have hard wire usb connectors with no chance to convert to internal they have software you can't erase in short they are no what i want in a usb protable

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
go to this page all the long ones are good by long 5" they can be turned into a normal sata.

by short 4.3" these are all fu

newegg 5 inch good 4.3 inch no good

Great info. Phil. We'll pay more attention next time you post Smile

While we are on the topic of messed up externals. In another post I indicated that HP integrated their back-up software into their enclosures firmware. You can't get rid of it unless you ditch the enclosure. That's assuming they haven't started integrating controllers into 3'5" drives. Then you are totally messed up.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how was your friend 'mistreated' and how was he compensated? Did they just give him that drive? What was it that was needing to be fixed to begin with? There seem to be holes in this story.
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: