123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Announces Black Friday Shopping Event
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Apple Announces Black Friday Shopping Event Reply with quote

Apple Announces Black Friday Shopping Event
Monday, November 23, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

Not a huge surprise, but Apple has announced they will be holding a special one-day shopping event on November 27th for Black Friday. The day after Thanksgiving in the United States, known as Black Friday, is the beginning of the traditional Christmas shopping season. The teaser page for this year's event simply reads:

Come back to the Apple Online Store the day after Thanksgiving for a special one-day-only holiday shopping event. You'll find dozens of great iPod, iPhone, and Mac gift ideas - all with free shipping.

Mark your calendar now. And until then, start your research by browsing the Apple Online Store to find iPod, iPhone, and Mac gifts for everyone on your list.

So what, if anything, might you be looking to buy this year?

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1386.html
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if they discounted the Mac mini this year. I would think about buying one for like a $100 off.
jrt1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add might have leaked.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2009/11/applebf.jpg
solchitlins

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm not going to do any better than a refurbish Mac Mini even though I could use an education discount on a new machine?

$98 for MS Office home & student? Can I do better than that?
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solchitlins wrote:

iWork for $79. Wink

That is a good deal. MacBU also has this deal going on for students, but the other version will do you just as well.
imola.zhp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing I can't live without. Toyed with the idea of an ATV, but I think I'll use the mini as an ATV/HTPC when I get a 13" MBP sometime in the future...

Current
32g iPhone4; 13" MBP 2.4/4g Ram/250g hd; 1TB TC; 2 ATV2's; Airport Express

Previous
8g iPhone Edge; 32g iPhone 3gS
8g iPod Nano (2nd); 16g iPod Nano (6th)
Mini 2.0/4g Ram/120g hd
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been that impressed with Apple's Black Friday specials. You can do better most of the time with Amazon and MacMall with the tax savings alone. That said, I did pick up an Airport Express once.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
I've never been that impressed with Apple's Black Friday specials. You can do better most of the time with Amazon and MacMall with the tax savings alone. That said, I did pick up an Airport Express once.

Apple is smart that way. They would rather sell you something for full price today, rather have you wait until Black Friday and sell it to you cheap. Even the bargain deals that they come up with have you scratching you head as to whether you should buck up and spend a little bit more, to get a little bit more.

One way or another, Black Friday will be interesting. Online shopping is the way to go. Lot's of good deals to be had.
heulenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Free Shipping? Reply with quote

Quote:
You'll find dozens of great iPod, iPhone, and Mac gift ideas - all with free shipping.

I hate to be persnickety, but don't iPods and iPhones normally come with free shipping from their online store? I understand that free shipping may provide significant savings for a Mac Pro with a 30" screen but, iPods???
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solchitlins wrote:
I guess I'm not going to do any better than a refurbish Mac Mini even though I could use an education discount on a new machine?

In the UK we can get it for £35 inc VAT with a two computer licence. I guess that would be around $50, but you guys normally pay less than we can get it for so I'd expect a similar deal over there you'd be able to get it for $40.

The student deal in the UK is MS Office 2008 for Mac you may have a similar thing available to US students.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
One way or another, Black Friday will be interesting. Online shopping is the way to go. Lot's of good deals to be had.

We're going to do most of our Black Friday shopping online this year. This way we can avoid the flu and stampedes. Wink

heulenwolf wrote:
I hate to be persnickety, but don't iPods and iPhones normally come with free shipping from their online store? I understand that free shipping may provide significant savings for a Mac Pro with a 30" screen but, iPods???

Yes. It just sounds like they are trying to drive the point home to me. I hear you though.
YesHD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imola.zhp wrote:
Nothing I can't live without. Toyed with the idea of an ATV, but I think I'll use the mini as an ATV/HTPC when I get a 13" MBP sometime in the future...

I was toying around with the idea of getting an ATV for another TV too, but I can't see biting at anything over $150. I did notice the 40GB refurbs selling at that price, but I just don't think that is enough storage.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
solchitlins wrote:

iWork for $79. Wink

That is a good deal. MacBU also has this deal going on for students, but the other version will do you just as well.

I agree with aquaman ...go with iWork, it lets you be a bit more creative. You could get a better deal on it if your willing to buy it on Ebay (I remember I got a copy for around $50). The only annoying part is that you need to convert it to be Office compatible for your non-Mac owning friends.

...but if you really need Office, does your school have a book store (I'm not sure if you're still in school - you mentioned education discount)? I got Office 2008 at my school last year for about $60 - I only got the disk and activation code cause apparently my school has a deal with Microsoft and Adobe (I got CS4 Master Suite for about $600 too).
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
I agree with aquaman ...go with iWork, it lets you be a bit more creative. You could get a better deal on it if your willing to buy it on Ebay (I remember I got a copy for around $50). The only annoying part is that you need to convert it to be Office compatible for your non-Mac owning friends.

But that's becoming pretty rare these days. I mean, someone without a Mac. Wink
imola.zhp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will they allow these discounts in conjunction with Education discounts?

anyone?

And/or, will they be running specials on refurbished units?

Had someone make a "good" offer on my mini, thinking about jumping into a 13" MBP...

I've got $1,273 in my mini including tax, extended warranty, ram upgrade, 22" samsung monitor, monitor extended warranty, wireless mouse and wireless keyboard...

Everything about 20 months old, offer is $500.

Thoughts?

Current
32g iPhone4; 13" MBP 2.4/4g Ram/250g hd; 1TB TC; 2 ATV2's; Airport Express

Previous
8g iPhone Edge; 32g iPhone 3gS
8g iPod Nano (2nd); 16g iPod Nano (6th)
Mini 2.0/4g Ram/120g hd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: