123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mac mini s-video out...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cubed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: mac mini s-video out... Reply with quote

i am getting a mac mini tomorrow and i will be using it as part of my home media center. the problem is that I only have the composite(red-white-yellow) ports on my tv.

does anyone know what the quality will be like?

are there other programs to make it better or adjust the resolution or flicker rate?

thanks
j
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: mac mini s-video out... Reply with quote

The quality should be pretty good. Not as good as DVI, but totally acceptable. Did you buy the DVI to video adapter??? You know it doesn't come with the mini. DisplayConfigX is an awesome utility for adjusting your resolution and refresh rate.

http://www.3dexpress.de/
iLife's a Bitch!
cubed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"NOT SUPPORTED: TV output (svideo), interlaced timings, composite sync or sync on green"

since I am using composite video with my mac mini and tv does this mean that it is not supported?
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a standard definition tv the overall resolution will be very low if you compare it with your regualr monitor but if viewed from a distance it should still look ok.[/quote]
druber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're watching DVDs or other video, it should look comparable to a DVD player or other digital source. Count on your desktop and text to look pretty poor, especially when viewed from up close. I've used Apple's DVI-composite adapter with my tv, and it looks every bit as good as I could expect it to. What text are you quoting there?
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am talking about for regular use ie. browsing the web. as the standard resolution for a monitor is about twice that of a tv. but for dvds etc there should be no problem as tv's use the same res. as dvd's. sorry for any confusion.
admanimal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any tips for correcting overscan on an analog TV? By default the my Mini underscans and it looks pretty bad on my TV, but when I turn overscan on, it the bottom and top get chopped. Is this something DisplayConfigX can fix?
sikosis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I'm curious about how to get rid of the "black bars" as well ... Manually turning Overscan on seems to do it, but then you can't use the desktop as normal on the TV. Also, on reboot, it's turned off.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had problems with the overscan. It looks so much better with it on. What a tease. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: