123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

broken (possibly wet) track pad...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
af1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: broken (possibly wet) track pad... Reply with quote

Hi i have an ibook g3 900mhz model

I used it when i had wet fingers (oops) and the trackpad started becomming unresponsive.. now it doesn't work.. clicking works and thats it, this was a day ago! If you press really hard you can get a little bit of movement, untill i got the hair dryer out to try and dry it out, now it dosnt seem to work at all, the connection to the logic board is fine and not corroded, have done a pmu and pram reset but nothing, do you think it will sort itself out?
I prefer using a mouse tbh but its a shame to not have everything working as it should, getting these old ibooks open is a right ball ache!!

Alan
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: broken (possibly wet) track pad... Reply with quote

Alan, If I were you, I'd see if I could dis-assemble the trackpad / keyboard etc. Then I would let it all dry out for about a week.

My advice is based on experience.

In my case, I did something much worse to my Ti Laptop.

In my case, while my machine was on, I spilt a glass of wine all over the keyboard & trackpad.

Within seconds of doing it. I forced 'switch off' of the machine, then quickly turned it upside down to let the liquid pour off.

I then I soaked off whatever surface fluid I could see with paper towels.

Shortly after that, I removed the battery pack & Cmos battery & levered the keyboard off the machine.

I then soaked up what liquid I could see internally.

Finally, when all that was done, I let everything dry out separately for a week.

From my POV.

There is nothing to be gained in force drying with a hair dryer. Chances are you will miss some spot in the circuitry & then you will most certainly fry the machine when you re-assemble it.

After doing all the above, I reconnected the various parts and to my astonishment; the machine booted up perfectly.

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: