123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

soundzen corner
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundzen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for electronics such as hifi, tv, fridge-&-alike and computering, i do have dedicated stores but many dont have the windows 7 in stock except staples where i go to buy office consumables.

as for apple there is no physical store, only online one and they deliver it to your adress so in compensation there is few apple resellers... like FNAC who does have a dozen stores in all country.

i counted 4 stores 100% dedicated to mac, in all lisbon capital and city skirts (non-FNAC)
soundzen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: tricks on youtube Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJS_-mH4OYs

well, im to embarrased and dont want to bother you by asking you guys constant questions about how to do tricks on my mac mini and some basic ones may be so hold school for you or worse: already been answered somewhere here which im to tired of looking up - so i looked-up in youtube for osx tips and found this kid with his videos of tricks and i learned 5 new things today for my mac, weeee!

- shut down the volume click while using it
- hide the lower dock
- zoom in and out a window
- do maths in the top finder
- draw the apple in a text

a shame that in his 3 videos of tricks he doesnt explain how to put the dots under the app which are running in order to shut down what you are not using no more and light up the process... so far i had to put the dock on the left side and only then i could see a dot in front of the running app!

Wink
soundzen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys, all well with you and ur macs? hope so because me im stuck in a simple action i use to have and use often and now its gone or not responding... as well as a missing icon on the top bar of my finder (see ? symbol in pic below).

when i open the finder and enter a folder to get a file i dont have the patience to do it like on windows - right mouse COPY then PASTE it to the desktop... on mac im use to tag the file and DRAG it directly to a corner of my desktop in order to copy it.

now when i drag, no file tags along with my mouse move... i must open OPTIONS in finder and do the COPY/PASTE routine prior to selecting my desktop in order to drop the file there!

picture below shows the finder opened with a file inside it but on the visible desktop behind, there is no such file to work with - so how do i activate that function back, please?

Crying or Very sad

Last edited by soundzen on Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
soundzen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi again, i have a doubt about time machine... if i buy a WD 1tb minimax and format it to become my time machine, can i use it later as a regular usb external drive? since the file is not compatible for time machine it will erase all content and format it to time machine language so it cant be undone later... what will my WD minimax loose?
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundzen wrote:
hi again, i have a doubt about time machine... if i buy a WD 1tb minimax and format it to become my time machine, can i use it later as a regular usb external drive? since the file is not compatible for time machine it will erase all content and format it to time machine language so it cant be undone later... what will my WD minimax loose?

Time machine will not interfere with using the drive and it won't format your drive; you won't lose anything. You can continue to use the drive along with Time Machine or use it in the future. I'm not familiar with the drive you are speaking of, perhaps it is formatted for Windows use. If so use Disk Utility to format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newegg mini 1tb is this the enclosure?

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
soundzen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i apologise - ive been comparing external drives that i mixed up the names: the one i want to buy is:

IOMEGA MINIMAX 1TB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822186126&Tpk=iomega%20minimax%201tb

probably thats the reason why, when i put a usb pen the mac asked for me to format it if i wanted to use it as time machine source - its probably in windows format and not ready for mac job... now im reluctant to use time machine on any external disc because it warns me that mac format is permanent and cant be undone.

time machine takes images of the mac settings and restores the files and original structure as it was prior to a crash, right? imagine theres a backed-up movies folder with AVI files, i want to copy/paste to my usb pen and take it to the office: the mac formated time-machine external drive wont allow the file to be recognised in a windows pc?
soundzen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pls help me with my latest problem... i drag files to the desktop but then they become invisible but actualy exist and are listed when i open the desktop trough finder! a mistery... Question
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundzen wrote:
i apologise - ive been comparing external drives that i mixed up the names: the one i want to buy is:

IOMEGA MINIMAX 1TB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822186126&Tpk=iomega%20minimax%201tb

I would advise against this product. It was designed by an idiot. The Firewire and USB Hub are mutually independent. If you use the Firewire port, all the USB ports are disabled and visa-versa. The company even admits this is by design in the link you provided from the comments of other puzzled owners.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
soundzen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mac, but visuals (mac mini lookalike stackable) is important to me and yes i read about that but from the 7 usb available (5 mini + 2 keyboard) i only use 2 so there is no shortage problem there... my doubt is the way i plug the iomega - how many options i have and which one is the fastest? mac usb 2 iomega firewire OR firewire 2 firewire?
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy a ministack from owc if you have a firewire 800 mini. if you have a firewire400 mini buy the iomega. what is your mac mini?

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
soundzen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi phil, its the latest september 2009 mac mini:

2.26GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo
hdd 160GB
2GB memory
8x double-layer Super Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
Mac OS X Snow Leopard + iLife
firewire 800 port
5 usb ports

so i would go for the iomega 1Tb...

but how do i plug it to the mini?
> firewire out on iomega and usb in on mac?
soundzen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: dear santa: to pod or not to pod? Reply with quote

well its xmas and choices for my gift for myself is short and simple... since money is short and i want to enjoy more of my hifi speakers, an ipod is at the top of choices (it won the battle against bicycle brakes & iomega minimax 1TB *both for january*)

now the problem remains the songs format recognition among flac, mp3, wma, aac and ipod only work with itunes and the app has this annoying order that is to ask us if we want to synch it to the in-use computer library by erasing the mp3 content (either that or no synch!... at least when i bring my office win-xp ipod to my home mac itunes)

since i have various formats and dont want to erase and re-synch each time between office and home, im inclined to look for a mp3 other that ipod but none is as cool, as multi-tasker and as unique as an apple ipod...

so, should i ignore 20% of my playlist with its non-mp3 format anf get an ipod OR go for a mp3 universal player and look over-rated?

either way, all mp3 plays my songs on the hifi trought 3.5"/RCA cable!
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: IOMEGA Reply with quote

You might try starting a new thread to ask your iPod
MP3 question.

Also, be careful. Their are different versions of that
IOMEGA HD enclosure. Some only support 1TB HD's
or 1.5TB or 2TB. READ THE FINE PRINT.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
soundzen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi bill thx 4 reply... unfortunetly my nokia was stolen and i bought a new one E63 with a 8gb card for my mp3 music... the sound is not as good as ipod but that way i have phone and player in 1 kit... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: