123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AOpen Mini PC Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> More News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: AOpen Mini PC Review Reply with quote

AOpen Mini PC Review
"Apple has produced some of the simplest yet elegant designs for computers, MP3 players, displays, and even little accessories such as the iSight. Every time Apple launches a product there’s always another company attempting to make a pseudo look-a-like—Lian Li’s 1000, various MP3 players, and now the AOpen Mini PC. AOpen’s Mini PC first appeared at Computex 2005—five months ago. There was plenty of interest in the Mini PC and it was only a matter of time before AOpen would start selling the Mini PC to consumers."

http://www.sfftech.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=714
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere in the middle of this thousand-page review (I hate when sites do that to pump up the hit count...) it incorrectly states that the Mini comes with no software other than the operating system.

Doesn't exactly give me confidence in the review, the reviewer, or the website, as the high level of included software on Macs is not exactly a state secret.

Shocked

Jamie
andp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the comparisons are between the mini PC and PowerBook. Um… where's the Mac mini?

Quote:
The downside is the annoying whine that comes from the blower fan. This makes it less attractive to silent PC aficionados as the system isn’t really silent.

It looks like the Mac mini wins in that department. But what could this mean when Apple switches to Intel? Is AOpen's design lousy, just a noisy fan, or does the Pentium M require a more active fan for cooling?
Tuanies

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
Somewhere in the middle of this thousand-page review (I hate when sites do that to pump up the hit count...) it incorrectly states that the Mini comes with no software other than the operating system.

Doesn't exactly give me confidence in the review, the reviewer, or the website, as the high level of included software on Macs is not exactly a state secret.

Shocked

Jamie

My mistake, forgot about iLife 05, but we did group the applications as part of the OS.

All the comparisons are between the mini PC and PowerBook. Um… where's the Mac mini?

We weren't able to get a Mac mini in time so we settled on the next closet thing, specification-wise at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
andp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuanies wrote:

We weren't able to get a Mac mini in time so we settled on the next closet thing, specification-wise at least.

That's ok! I still enjoyed your review. One question - Is Voodoo PC the only one selling these in the US?
Tuanies

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. So far VoodooPC is the only one selling it for the time being and they're a bit pricey.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Direct and Linspire are going to start selling them later this year.
NeoGeo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind seeing Apple include a S-Video port like this Mini PC has on the back of the Mac mini. They might be able to add one where the modem used to be. It would be great if Apple released a Mac mini with a dual-core Yonah processor, built-in S-Video, Front Row, and Apple remote at MacWorld Expo. That would be one sweet little machine for 600 dollars.
kuro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeoGeo wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing Apple include a S-Video port like this Mini PC has

Why? S-Video is a legacy connector. Apple should just bung an Apple DVI-to-Video or DVI-to-HDTV connector in the Mac mini carton.

[edit: fix caps]

Last edited by kuro on Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
NeoGeo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuro wrote:

Apple should just bung an Apple DVI-to-Video or DVI-to-HDTV connector in the mac Mini carton.

I'm all for that! It's almost as bad as Apple not including the AC adapter with the new iPod.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> More News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: