123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plex 0.8.3 Released
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Plex 0.8.3 Released Reply with quote

Plex 0.8.3 Released
Monday, October 26, 2009
Posted by: Kenan

The team over at Plex today announced the release of Plex 0.8.3, an update to their media center software for the Mac. New features in this version of the software include a revamped shutdown options menu, Mixdown Volume Boost for AC3 and DTS audio, captions for iPhoto photos, support for one-click install of plug-ins, ratings support for plug-ins, context menus in plug-ins, support for auto-refresh in directories, toggle to full screen option in Dock menu, and integration of code from IOSPIRIT to improve support for the Apple Remote in Snow Leopard. This ties into the release of Candelair that we mentioned about last week.

According to the release notes, Plex 0.8.3 also includes the following fixes:

- Fixed 5.1 audio issues in Snow Leopard.
- Fixed an issue with the new caching system that could cause some MKVs and other files to stutter when played over the network.
- Video playlists work again.
- Multi-part videos display thumbnails again.
- Crash reading GPS EXIF data from photos.
- Fix for crash when displaying subtitles.
- A few crashes in the Media Server (custom iTunes genre artwork, and playing Netflix movies).
- First WebKit play on a fresh install didn't work.
- App Store would sometimes not show up on a fresh install.
- GForce visualizer for iTunes causes Plex to crash.
- TVDB image issue.
- Posters issue in IMDB scraper and issue with cast lists.
- DTS downmixing method reverted to use libdts.
- Make keyboard backlight feature optional. You can access this setting in the advanced Cocoa preferences area under the Videos tab.

Plex 0.8.3 weighs in at 104MB and requires Mac OS X 10.5 or later.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1359.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Gator Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why, but my fan is running crazy mad now with Plex open.
Harmory & Apple remotes
2 X FreeAgent Desk for Mac drives.
LE Studios

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gator Fan wrote:

Not mines I got 18 1080p MKV Movies that's ripped from Blu-Rays and Plex looks good! Very Happy
Grover Time

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really use Plex anymore, but it doesn't seem to be hitting the fan any harder. CPU levels seem to be the same as well.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LE Studios wrote:
Gator Fan wrote:

Not mines I got 18 1080p MKV Movies that's ripped from Blu-Rays and Plex looks good! Very Happy

Did you use this new version of Handbrake or are you pirating movies you have never owned as you suggest is your SOP?
http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=173491&highlight=#173491

LE Studios wrote:

Apple don't care about Blu-Ray and I really don't care either, so time to hit the torrent sites for HD Movies I see they already got 1080p Blu-Ray rips of G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra, Star Trek, Transformers Revenge of the Fallen and Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs already.

Shame on you...hopefully you you learn what is like to have things stolen from you: over and over again.
9to5Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems with the fan here. the Apple remote also seems to be working better with Candelair.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I'll download, but I'll wait to install.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
lh_newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pausing within Hulu plugin works again, too! Smile
Zuma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lh_newbie wrote:
Pausing within Hulu plugin works again, too! Smile

Candelair pretty much fixed everything for me. Very Happy
TechnoCrat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Plex 0.8.3 Released Reply with quote

admin wrote:
Plex 0.8.3 Released
Monday, October 26, 2009
Posted by: Kenan

The team over at Plex today announced the release of Plex 0.8.3, an update to their media center software for the Mac. New features in this version of the software include a revamped shutdown options menu, Mixdown Volume Boost for AC3 and DTS audio, captions for iPhoto photos, support for one-click install of plug-ins, ratings support for plug-ins, context menus in plug-ins, support for auto-refresh in directories, toggle to full screen option in Dock menu, and integration of code from IOSPIRIT to improve support for the Apple Remote in Snow Leopard. This ties into the release of Candelair that we mentioned about last week.

According to the release notes, Plex 0.8.3 also includes the following fixes:

- Fixed 5.1 audio issues in Snow Leopard.
- Fixed an issue with the new caching system that could cause some MKVs and other files to stutter when played over the network.
- Video playlists work again.
- Multi-part videos display thumbnails again.
- Crash reading GPS EXIF data from photos.
- Fix for crash when displaying subtitles.
- A few crashes in the Media Server (custom iTunes genre artwork, and playing Netflix movies).
- First WebKit play on a fresh install didn't work.
- App Store would sometimes not show up on a fresh install.
- GForce visualizer for iTunes causes Plex to crash.
- TVDB image issue.
- Posters issue in IMDB scraper and issue with cast lists.
- DTS downmixing method reverted to use libdts.
- Make keyboard backlight feature optional. You can access this setting in the advanced Cocoa preferences area under the Videos tab.

Plex 0.8.3 weighs in at 104MB and requires Mac OS X 10.5 or later.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1359.html

havent tried Plex for a bit and one of my wish lists where to be able to sort by date... I umm "archive" a lot of media and would like to be able to sort it by date so i can know what I have watched.. is this a feature I'm missing out on?
LE Studios

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
LE Studios wrote:
Gator Fan wrote:

Did you use this new version of Handbrake or are you pirating movies you have never owned as you suggest is your SOP?
http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=173491&highlight=#173491

LE Studios wrote:

Apple don't care about Blu-Ray and I really don't care either, so time to hit the torrent sites for HD Movies I see they already got 1080p Blu-Ray rips of G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra, Star Trek, Transformers Revenge of the Fallen and Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs already.

Shame on you...hopefully you you learn what is like to have things stolen from you: over and over again.

Hey I was willing to pay for Transformers Revenge of the Fallen on iTunes either Michael Bay and or Paramount is screwed up but either way I'm working on my new achievements: To destroy the hope of studios success with Blu-Ray, get over 100 1080p HD Movies MKV files, Destroy ALL Torrent sites in the process and invest in more Apple stock and watch iTunes Movies sales surpass Blu-Ray sales! Very Happy
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LE Studios wrote:
Hey I was willing to pay for Transformers Revenge of the Fallen on iTunes either Michael Bay and or Paramount is screwed up but either way I'm working on my new achievements: To destroy the hope of studios success with Blu-Ray, get over 100 1080p HD Movies MKV files, Destroy ALL Torrent sites in the process and invest in more Apple stock and watch iTunes Movies sales surpass Blu-Ray sales! Very Happy

You can try to justify it, but it is unjustifiable. Your antics of bragging about piracy and then saying it is because you are attempting to show the man really appear to be more of a smokescreen of your true intention: theft. Just because you aren't patient enough for movies to show up on iTunes doesn't make piracy excusable.
LE Studios

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
LE Studios wrote:

You can try to justify it, but it is unjustifiable. Your antics of bragging about piracy and then saying it is because you are attempting to show the man really appear to be more of a smokescreen of your true intention: theft. Just because you aren't patient enough for movies to show up on iTunes doesn't make piracy excusable.

Well shut the torrent sites down. Stop individuals all over the world from uploading the files then. How does it feel to know, there are some things you have no control. No matter what you say nor what you do. Welcome to the real world. Twisted Evil
LE Studios

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..but seriously. I do like the quality of iTunes content but this does contrast the benefits to owning a AppleTV. If I have to use the Mac mini to playback HD MKV files on Plex then what's the purpose of owning a AppleTV. This is why I bought content on iTunes in the first place. If these studios want to be greedy with their crap to hone it on a Blu-ray format. No I'm the consumer that's not what I want. I would love to have a 720p or even a 1080p Digital Version from Version of ALL the 480p Movies I already brought on iTunes and yes like to have it direct from the studios but since they really don't care about us so they can manipulate us to buy a Blu-Ray player and whatever to go with it, I'm not supporting that. That is a position I'm not going to back off of, so either they going down or we are. Evil or Very Mad

Not to get too off topic Plex 0.8.3 looks alright with RAW 1080p with the MKV Files but I don't know what processing settings to make it look best. Because 720p looks crappy compared to VLC which looks better but it seems it have issues with playback on larger files, maybe due to having multiple audio tracks and subtitles. Confused
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LE Studios wrote:
Well shut the torrent sites down. Stop individuals all over the world from uploading the files then. How does it feel to know, there are some things you have no control. No matter what you say nor what you do. Welcome to the real world. Twisted Evil

Interesting reasoning. At the end of the day it's immature to think that the studios are going to give you everything you want and think that they care about you. Keep up the good fight of your personal revolution, as confused as it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: