123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with 10.4.3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinuk42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Problems with 10.4.3 Reply with quote

since loading 10.4.3 my mail app wont load. Tried to install the combo version but says that it wont mount, tried to load back on 10.4.2 but wont let me do that either.

What do i do?!? I think when i downloaded 10.4.3 it didn't do it properly, so i have a dodgy OS running now, but i cant do anything to change it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated as i am close to crying!! HELP!! Do i need to re-install my OS from scratch?
caulktel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been following your other thread, and what I would do is backup anything you don't want to loose, then reinstall using the DVD that came with your machine, then before installing any additional software apply the 10.4.3 update. I think you will be okay then. Sorry you have been having these problems. I think you may have had a bad install from the begining, because this is not normal.
PeteC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem too. In the end I re-installed 10.4.2 but picked the "save my settings" type option. I then installed the combo update to 10.4.3

Everything worked like a charm. I was very impressed. I was expecting to have to install all my apps again and re-setup OSX just how I liked it, but it kept all my installed apps and user settings as well as all my data.

Initialy I thought OSX was performing so kind of voodoo magic to pull this off but having slept on it I've decided it's probably more to do with some technical trickery.

Cheers,
Pete
kevinuk42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeteC wrote:
I had this problem too. In the end I re-installed 10.4.2 but picked the "save my settings" type option. I then installed the combo update to 10.4.3

Everything worked like a charm. I was very impressed. I was expecting to have to install all my apps again and re-setup OSX just how I liked it, but it kept all my installed apps and user settings as well as all my data.

Initialy I thought OSX was performing so kind of voodoo magic to pull this off but having slept on it I've decided it's probably more to do with some technical trickery.

Cheers,
Pete

Hey i downloaded 10.4.2 from apple, but it wouldn't install it, the dmg file wouldn't mount, so do i need to install the old OS from the original disk i had with mini, is that where the option to 'save my settings' appears?
PeteC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinuk42 wrote:

Hey i downloaded 10.4.2 from apple, but it wouldn't install it, the dmg file wouldn't mount, so do i need to install the old OS from the original disk i had with mini, is that where the option to 'save my settings' appears?

Yep - that's the fella.

Sounds like you've had exactly the same problem I had. SOME dmg's would mount, but not the one for the update. Re-installing was a last resort so I was pleasently surprised when I found that it had kept all my installed apps as well as the settings etc.

Oh - but if it goes wrong it's not my fault disclaimer Wink

Cheers,
PeteC
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From MacFixIt:

Combo updater disk image refuses to mount We've received reports from several readers for whom the Mac OS X 10.4.3 combo updater refuses to properly mount from the disk image file.

MacFixIt reader Dave Kupiec writes:

"I've repeatedly downloaded the new OS 10.4.3 Combo Updater, and each time, the .DMG fails to mount, giving an Invalid Checksum error."

In some cases, repairing disk permissions with Apple's Disk Utility (located in Applications/Utilities) will resolve this issue. If the disk image still fails to mount after performing a disk permissions repair while booted from your normal startup drive, try starting up from the Mac OS X 10.4.x retail disc, or an alternate Mac OS X 10.4.x startup drive and repair permissions on the target volume again.

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20051107082716836
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: