123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The 2009 Mac Minis Support 8GB of RAM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LE Studios wrote:

Dude you could have a 27" Quad Core iMac for that price! Rolling Eyes

No, the trick is the tiny little box, filled with the world's most powerful computer, free to be as flexible in any configuration you can imagine! Wink
LE Studios

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
LE Studios wrote:

Dude you could have a 27" Quad Core iMac for that price! Rolling Eyes

No, the trick is the tiny little box, filled with the world's most powerful computer, free to be as flexible in any configuration you can imagine! Wink

Yeah I got a 2GHz Core Duo 2 2009 Mac mini yeah it amazes me what I've done but I want to either a more powerful processor to get off of 4GHz combined processing power to 5GHz or more! I may get a iMac but I still get two Mac mini Servers!
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=W1066SB4GH

213 for 1 4gb stick use Haunt10 for a 10 dollar discount so 203 plus 9 to ship. total 212

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
saul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
https://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=W1066SB4GH

213 for 1 4gb stick use Haunt10 for a 10 dollar discount so 203 plus 9 to ship. total 212

Nice but limit one. My wallet's hurting so I will be waiting a bit.

Thanks for the alert!
LE Studios

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone post a XBench results with a 8GB DDR3 in 2GHz Early 2009 Mac mini yet? Is so please post. Thanks. Very Happy
jguther

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? More memory does not automatically make a computer faster. For all practical purposes, the benchmark results will be the same as for a 4GB Mini.

There seems to be a misconception that more memory by itself increases speed - it doesn't.

Only if more memory avoids swapping to disk, then it will dramatically increase performance. However, there aren't many situations where a 4GB mini will swap at all.

For instance, a 1GB mini will start swapping as soon as you open a couple of applications simultaneously --> spinning beach ball. Going to 2GB will avoid swapping in most cases --> huge performance increase, no spinning beach balls. Going further to 4GB will allow you to have many applications plus one or two virtual machines open at the same time without much swapping.

Unless you have an insane number of applications plus several VMs running at the same time, 8GB will do nothing for you - for 99% of all users it would be a complete waste of money.

Most benchmarks will run happily in 1GB (no swapping), so the results won't change much if you add main memory.
LE Studios

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jguther wrote:
Why? More memory does not automatically make a computer faster. For all practical purposes, the benchmark results will be the same as for a 4GB Mini.

There seems to be a misconception that more memory by itself increases speed - it doesn't.

Only if more memory avoids swapping to disk, then it will dramatically increase performance. However, there aren't many situations where a 4GB mini will swap at all.

For instance, a 1GB mini will start swapping as soon as you open a couple of applications simultaneously --> spinning beach ball. Going to 2GB will avoid swapping in most cases --> huge performance increase, no spinning beach balls. Going further to 4GB will allow you to have many applications plus one or two virtual machines open at the same time without much swapping.

Unless you have an insane number of applications plus several VMs running at the same time, 8GB will do nothing for you - for 99% of all users it would be a complete waste of money.

Most benchmarks will run happily in 1GB (no swapping), so the results won't change much if you add main memory.

Yeah I figured that out day before you posted. It seems like a futile effort to spend resources on a Mac mini. I came to the conclusion so I'm selling my Mac mini and 24" LED Cinema Display to get the iMac 27" i7 Quad 2.8GHz with 8MB Level 3 Cache that can handle 16GB DDR3. It really dawn on me dealing with 1080p/24fps and 720p/60fps playback and put it under scrutiny with various settings I seen a processor limitation. I decided to scrap it ALL. My goal is Canon EOS 1D Mark IV and whether video and or photography the i7 iMac can satisfy my needs. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: