123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for buying advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WD-40

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Looking for buying advice Reply with quote

I'm trying to decide between buying an iMac or Mac mini. This will be my first leap into OS X. The Mac mini is a great deal, but the iMac is more powerful. Right now it's a coin toss between the two. I have a question related to Apple switching to Intel. Will both of these computers be obsolete in 2 years? Will Apple's next generation OS (Leopard and beyond) be available on the PPC platform once they switch to Intel? Is there any kind of roadmap out there? This all seems very vague to me.

William
Ranter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, if you have a very nice display already that you really like, buy a Mac Mini and save some money.

If you do not have a display you are especially pleased with, buy an iMac because the displays are absolutely gorgeous.

I do not believe that any Mac you might buy this year will be obsolete in 2 years, except for the fact that virtually any computer you might buy is automatically obsolete in 6 months.

I received a Mac Mini as a gift in May of this year, and thus started my sweet addiction to Macs.

I bought a Power Mac last summer, and my PowerBook to be just left Shanghai China on its way here this morning. I'm stocking up on Apple computers now while I'm still working, as I'm very old and may soon retire.

But I fully expect to be completely happy with all of these computers in 2 years time.

I'm certain that Leopard will support G4s, G5s as well as Intel chips.

The installed base of PowerrPC Macs is still growing, despite the coming change. It seems that many computer users share my belief that the best time to buy a Mac is immediately.

As I've gotten older I've come to realize that the only things I regret are the risks I did not take, the cliffs I did not climb.

Go for it, you won't regret it.

Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them.
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
boneca

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranter wrote:
First, if you have a very nice display already that you really like, buy a Mac Mini and save some money.

If you do not have a display you are especially pleased with, buy an iMac because the displays are absolutely gorgeous.

I do not believe that any Mac you might buy this year will be obsolete in 2 years, except for the fact that virtually any computer you might buy is automatically obsolete in 6 months.

I received a Mac Mini as a gift in May of this year, and thus started my sweet addiction to Macs.

I bought a Power Mac last summer, and my PowerBook to be just left Shanghai China on its way here this morning. I'm stocking up on Apple computers now while I'm still working, as I'm very old and may soon retire.

But I fully expect to be completely happy with all of these computers in 2 years time.

I'm certain that Leopard will support G4s, G5s as well as Intel chips.

The installed base of PowerrPC Macs is still growing, despite the coming change. It seems that many computer users share my belief that the best time to buy a Mac is immediately.

As I've gotten older I've come to realize that the only things I regret are the risks I did not take, the cliffs I did not climb.

Go for it, you won't regret it.

well said Ranter Tup...
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for buying advice Reply with quote

WD-40 wrote:
I'm trying to decide between buying an iMac or Mac mini. This will be my first leap into OS X. The Mac mini is a great deal, but the iMac is more powerful. Right now it's a coin toss between the two. I have a question related to Apple switching to Intel. Will both of these computers be obsolete in 2 years? Will Apple's next generation OS (Leopard and beyond) be available on the PPC platform once they switch to Intel? Is there any kind of roadmap out there? This all seems very vague to me.

William

All good questions Smile As a recent switcher I can tell you that I faced the exact same choices. Here is my opinion on your questions:
- First off, you will love OS X. It is amazing and easy to pickup. Leopard and all other software will be supported in both formats for a long time to come (the Powermac is scheduled to continue to use PPC chips well into 2007). On top of that there is a huge PPC user base out there that will not make the quick move to Intel for several years. I have heard that there will be support for the PPC platform for at least 5-7 years after the switch to Intel. So, no worries Smile

- You next decision is a more dificult one. Since I already owned a brand new 19" Samsung flat screen, my decision was easy. I went with a loaded Mac Mini (1.5, Superdrive model). With the monitor, 1GB of RAM, keyboard and mouse the grand total was close to $1100. So, since I did not need the monitor this was an easier choice for me. My other concern on pricing was that I really did not want to go smaller than 19" with the monitor so that means I would have spent over $1800 on the 20" iMac with 1GB of RAM.

- Now, if you need a monitor then you should look very closely at the iMac. You will still spend more money on the 17" iMac vs. buying the Mini with an LCD, but you will get a faster processor, better graphics chip, and a bigger and faster hard drive. If you buy the 20" iMac you are spending more than $700 more.. That is a lot of money.

I personally think the mini is a perfect starter Mac and has served its purpose well for me. It seems plenty fast enough (get 1GB of RAM) for everyday use, and it seems more than capable in handling all the basic photo and movie editing that I have done to date. I also went with the mini due to the fact that I will most likely buy an Intel powerbook sometime over the next few years, and the money saved by buying the mini will get me closer to that purchase.

Personally, these are both excellent choices. The iMac will have some performance advantages over the mini, but the real question is it worth the $400-800 difference in price (assumming you are buying a new LCD monitor. If you already have one, the difference is even more). I say go with the mini. I think you will be very pleased.
WD-40

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranter, ack_mac

I cannot thank you guys enough.

Ranter wrote:

I have a two year old Dell 17" LCD with DVI. I should be all set that way.

Ranter wrote:

I can agree with that statement. It just seems like there are more unknowns with Apple moving to x86. That's one of the major reasons I'm leaning towards buying the Mac mini. $599 isn't that big of an investment for me. The 20" iMac at $1699 is a larger investment into the unknown. But, they sure look nice and have some impressive specs. I also wouldn't mind having Front Row out of the box with the iMac. Even though many suggest it will be brought to other systems in the future.

ranter wrote:

It sounds like you are developing an expensive addiction. By the way, how old are you? You know - You're only as old as you feel. I'm getting up there myself.

ack_mac wrote:
the Powermac is scheduled to continue to use PPC chips well into 2007

Did that come from an article or something?

ack_mac wrote:
I personally think the mini is a perfect starter Mac and has served its purpose well for me. It seems plenty fast enough (get 1GB of RAM) for everyday use, and it seems more than capable in handling all the basic photo and movie editing that I have done to date.

I would mostly use the iMac or Mac mini for simple daily chores. Email. web browsing, calendar, and contact management to name a few. I plan to max-out the memory with the Mac mini.

William
ozwald

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the Mini now. With 1 GB of ram, it's a suprisingly capable machine. You won't regret it. Very Happy
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a long time Apple Mac user I recently had an oportunity to use a 2ghz 20" G5 iMac for an extended period of time and if money were not a question I would buy an iMac in a heart beat!!!! I was blown away with how much more capable the iMac is over the Mini. It is much more responsive and it was so nice not to have to wait for iMovie renderings and other CPU/ memory intensive programs. Don't get me wrong I love my Mini I really wish I could justify getting a new iMac with the iSight and Front and all the other goodness that goes along with it! Plus I think that with the iMac it will not leave you wanting for more power as soon as the Mini might!

Just my humble opinion! Cool
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Silver Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a monitor go for the Mini.
I was also in the same dilemna, but I chose the iMac since I didn't have a monitor to use and was tired of waiting for Apple to officially announce the new revision.
But the Mini is a capable machine, I'm trying to get the gf to get one Smile
Enjoy!
Ranter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD-40 wrote:

Ranter wrote:

I'm using my Mac Mini with a 17" Dell DVI LCD and the display is fabulous!

WD-40 wrote:

It sounds like you are developing an expensive addiction. By the way, how old are you? You know - You're only as old as you feel. I'm getting up there myself.

Well, I'm not really that old, I'm just tired of working for a living. And I'm at a time in my life when I can afford a few extra toys, so I'm going for it.

You're going to love OS X!

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
WD-40

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ranter"]
WD-40 wrote:

You're going to love OS X!

I have the Dell 1703FP. What model do you have?

Thanks! I'm looking forward to dumping Windows!
Ranter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD-40 wrote:

I have the Dell 1703FP. What model do you have?

Thanks! I'm looking forward to dumping Windows!

Mine is an UltraSharp 1704FPT 17-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor that I bought in June of this year.

What was really fun for me was taking the hard drives out of my deceased Windows PCs, putting them into Firewire enclosures, and using them to back up my Macs. It instantly wiped out any viruses or malware that Winders might have been infested with. Including XP which definitely is an infestation.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
andp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozwald wrote:
Get the Mini now. With 1 GB of ram, it's a suprisingly capable machine. You won't regret it. Very Happy

I'll second that. It would be nice if Apple offered something between the Mac mini and iMac. Maybe something like a single processor G5 machine for $999. A true headless iMac! Although, once Apple switches to Intel they could put a Dual-core Pentium M into the Mac mini. That would be a pretty sweet machine and have tons more zip compared to the G4. The next year or so should be fun!
WD-40

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouieMacGoo wrote:
Plus I think that with the iMac it will not leave you wanting for more power as soon as the Mini might!

Just my humble opinion! Cool

Thanks for the input! You bring up a good point. I've read a few complaints about the Mac mini being somewhat underpowered. The iMac should have a longer technical life-span with new software. I just read some news today about Intel PowerBooks coming out earlier than originally thought. That makes me wonder if I would be better off waiting until the first of the year to make a decision. The Macworld conference takes place in January. Apple mightl make some Intel announcements at the event.
Leander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been reading some stories on the official apple forums about the imac.

they seem to fail more than mac mini's.

usually fans making loud noises or power supplies cutting out straight out of the box.

i was thinking of getting one but reading some of the stories has put the frighteners on me.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leander wrote:
i've been reading some stories on the official apple forums about the imac.

they seem to fail more than mac mini's.

usually fans making loud noises or power supplies cutting out straight out of the box.

i was thinking of getting one but reading some of the stories has put the frighteners on me.

I hate AIO computers. Always have, always will!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: