123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who's tried Windows 7?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Posts: 5393
Location: Dunwoody, GA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
My A+ 2009 books just arrived. I might see if I can pick up a real cheap PC that comes with Vista and an upgrade to Windows 7. I won't be studying Windows 7 but I may as well get it as it will likely become the "new XP". It will likely be the future OS to know and study

Why don't you just pick up an OEM copy of Windows 7 and install it on your Mac mini? I probably would make it the "Pro" version though. It has a couple more features geared towards business that you might want to know about going forward. Like for the certification and possible career change. I mean, most companies didn't even snuggle up to Vista. I know we didn't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 779
Location: Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I mean, most companies didn't even snuggle up to Vista. I know we didn't.


My company not only didn't snuggle up to Vista at all, they don't plan to leave XP and snuggle up to Windows 7 for at least two years!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Posts: 2372
Location: AUS-USA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
My company not only didn't snuggle up to Vista at all, they don't plan to leave XP and snuggle up to Windows 7 for at least two years!


Yep, agree on that point.

There seems to have been something of a mad rush of PC users wanting to buy Windows 7. But I suspect that the Business end of town is probably going to hold onto its cash for now.

They are going to be the tougher market to crack.

Most companies will be looking at their bottom line and wondering how this new system W7 will add more income. If the answer is zero or relatively little extra profit, then they will probably hold off until their current systems can no longer keep up with their business needs.

Their IT departments might like to have W7 today, but in the end it's all about maximum profits with minimal costs.

That's where sticking to their XP Pro machines makes sound economic sense in these tough economic times. Most especially since it seems that unlike Vista users, all the XP users will have to pay full upfront prices to get to W7.



Aqua
_________________
Of the four X systems in the world.

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 779
Location: Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:
Most especially since it seems that unlike Vista users, all the XP users will have to pay full upfront prices to get to W7.


Imagine 1,000 XP computers needing to do a clean install of Windows 7 and re-install all their applications in a business environment? I can't even imagine the IT nightmare that will involve. I think even after two years, only new machines will come in with Windows 7 and they'll live with a mixed environment.
_________________
Retired: Altair 8800, PET, TI 99/4A, Apple II
Mac Plus, Mac II, Mac SE/30, Quadra,
20th Anniversary Mac, iMac Purple, G4 Blue & White, iBook Clamshell
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 25 Aug 2007
Posts: 1413
Location: STLMO (usa)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
My A+ 2009 books just arrived.

Which A+ books did you buy? I'm looking for a good one.

Yes, most businesses are very slow to switch over to newer OSes and some other applications. They are not in any big hurry to jump ship. Alot of them wait for service packs, then they may switch after thorough testing.

Thnx.
_________________
G4 Mac Mini | 1.25ghz | 1gb | 40gb | OS X 10.4.11 | 37" Westinghouse HDTV
AAOne | 1.6ghz | 1gb | 160gb | Mageia 2 & Win XP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Posts: 2372
Location: AUS-USA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it incredible to witness how often Microsoft manages to shoot itself in the foot by alienating the very customers it needs to win over to W7.

Why force the teeming ranks of XP users to pay full price for W7 ($219) ; while fellow Vista users, (who are by far the minority) get to have W7 for $40 or $50 dollars.

This is supreme idiocy on the behalf of Microsoft.

It reeks of payback pettiness.

Given the resistance thai many XP users felt towards Vista; surely the sensible thing would have been to lay out the red carpet for all Xp users, so that they could all transition to W7 without fear of losing any of their valuable files etc.

Indulging Vista users while snubbing/punishing Xp users is an incredibly stupid thing to do.

I bet the Apple CEO's will be shaking their heads in disbelief... or relief..or laughter..or all of the above.


Aqua
_________________
Of the four X systems in the world.

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.


Last edited by Aquafire on Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 5985
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdawg wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
My A+ 2009 books just arrived.

Which A+ books did you buy? I'm looking for a good one.

Yes, most businesses are very slow to switch over to newer OSes and some other applications. They are not in any big hurry to jump ship. Alot of them wait for service packs, then they may switch after thorough testing.

Thnx.


I don't think it make much difference which kit you get as long as it covers the 220-701 and 22-702 exams, but this is what I went with. Presently there isn't much to choose from for 2009.

Right now I don't have the extra time to study. I'm focused on school. However after looking at these books they really make me appreciate OS X. Today I was looking at this book with interest. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 779
Location: Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:
Indulging Vista users while snubbing/punishing Xp users is an incredibly stupid thing to do.

I bet the Apple CEO's will be shaking their heads in disbelief... or relief..or laughter..or all of the above.Aqua


I agree completely! It is very bizarre given that Microsoft depends on all those IT departments buying Windows OS upgrades to sustain their business model. Bahlmer's revenge for business not buying into Vista!
_________________
Retired: Altair 8800, PET, TI 99/4A, Apple II
Mac Plus, Mac II, Mac SE/30, Quadra,
20th Anniversary Mac, iMac Purple, G4 Blue & White, iBook Clamshell
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 25 Aug 2007
Posts: 1413
Location: STLMO (usa)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I need the complete kit. I already have this one book, CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide by Michael Meyers, but it's not the latest. And no, he's not the Holloween guy!

I'm thinking of getting this one, CompTIA A+ Practice Questions Exam Cram (Essentials, Exams 220-602, 220-603, 220-604) (2nd Edition) (Paperback), but the 3rd edition is coming out next month.

Then after reading it, I'll go for the test. With over 10 years PC experience I should pass.

Thnx.
_________________
G4 Mac Mini | 1.25ghz | 1gb | 40gb | OS X 10.4.11 | 37" Westinghouse HDTV
AAOne | 1.6ghz | 1gb | 160gb | Mageia 2 & Win XP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 5985
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdawg wrote:
I'm thinking of getting this one, CompTIA A+ Practice Questions Exam Cram (Essentials, Exams 220-602, 220-603, 220-604) (2nd Edition) (Paperback), but the 3rd edition is coming out next month.


Are you aware that the 600 series is for the 2006 exam. You will have until Feb 28 2010 to write the 2006 exam.

http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed/a.aspx

Sorry for going off topic guys. I won't talk about A+ any more Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
saul
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 22 Mar 2008
Posts: 443
Location: PA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
I agree completely! It is very bizarre given that Microsoft depends on all those IT departments buying Windows OS upgrades to sustain their business model. Bahlmer's revenge for business not buying into Vista!


Actually, it is more complicated than that. First, as most businesses have a three year refresh cycle, PCs out there were purchased with a Vista license and downgraded to XP. Second, Microsoft gets a fixed yearly fee from big businesses as they "rent" the O/S, Office, and Server apps. If these businesses upgrade or not does not affect Microsoft's revenue much at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
strollin
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 12 Jun 2009
Posts: 48
Location: N. Calif.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it doesn't make economic sense for corporate IT departments to do a wholesale upgrade of their users to Win 7 because there isn't any advantage to it. However, as new purchases are made they will most likely come pre-installed with Win 7 (provided Win 7 is more accepted than Vista was). There will be a mix of OSs across the organization but eventually most users will be migrated to Win 7.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 5985
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
My A+ 2009 books just arrived. I might see if I can pick up a real cheap PC that comes with Vista and an upgrade to Windows 7. I won't be studying Windows 7 but I may as well get it as it will likely become the "new XP". It will likely be the future OS to know and study

Why don't you just pick up an OEM copy of Windows 7 and install it on your Mac mini? I probably would make it the "Pro" version though. It has a couple more features geared towards business that you might want to know about going forward. Like for the certification and possible career change. I mean, most companies didn't even snuggle up to Vista. I know we didn't.


I agree, it's just the way that the exams work Windows 7 won't be on an A+ exam until 2012. Your point is 100% valid after a bit more thought and research I may hold off on the A+ certification. In a way the 2006 certification makes more sense at this point and then renew in 2012.

Regarding businesses adopting Windows 7 it's a no brainer this time around. M$ was smart enough to build a Windows XP mode into the
Professional and Ultimate versions.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/products/compare

Security and compatibly will likely be to motivation to move. This time around people aren't going to custom order their new hardware with an old OS. I think Windows 7 is going to be a hit like XP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 13 Jul 2007
Posts: 3954
Location: West Sussex, South-East England

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saul wrote:
Second, Microsoft gets a fixed yearly fee from big businesses as they "rent" the O/S, Office, and Server apps. If these businesses upgrade or not does not affect Microsoft's revenue much at all.

Some years back, Microsoft were encouraging British educational institutions to do the same -- pay an annual subscription to MS for the software in return for perpetual updates to the latest versions. Quite why a 12-year-old can't get his/her schoolwork done with apps that are 1 or 2 years old is beyond me, but the schools were probably bullied into paying up.

Thankfully, the tide is now turning. The University of Westminster is switching from MS apps to Google apps, saving the institution about £1 million/year. And the Daily Telegraph (London newspaper) has done the same thing.
_________________
Intel Mini 2.0GHz C2D (4GB/120GB/SuperDrive/10.5.8 ), 120GB WD Passport, Logitech ergo k/b
iPod Touch (32GB, 3rd gen), iPod Shuffle (512MB, 1st gen)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Posts: 2372
Location: AUS-USA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

Regarding businesses adopting Windows 7 it's a no brainer this time around. M$ was smart enough to build a Windows XP mode into the
Professional and Ultimate versions.


Well that can be read two ways. A foot in each camp. But on the other hand businesses are going to ask..why spend extra money on a new OS, if most of the usage will still be based on XP ?

Bandit Bill wrote:
Security and compatibly will likely be to motivation to move. This time around people aren't going to custom order their new hardware with an old OS.


That's true : Businesses aren't going to order new 'custom made' computers only to put XP on them.

What they are more likely to do next time around, is buy stock standard 'off the shelf' computers like Dells or HPs to put on each desk. The days of 'custom-built' are nearly over. Especially since the big computer manufacturers now offer much more flexibility in terms of bulk purchase, education discounts (schools & universities) or rental offsets and warranties.

And as for security....? That's debatable... Wink

From Security Perspective, Windows 7 Off To A Rocky Start

Bandit Bill wrote:
I think Windows 7 is going to be a hit like XP.


Windows 7 has already shown itself to have a much higher acceptance level than Vista ever had. Adobe has come on board quickly so that's a sign of things to come.

Still, businesses will only take it on as they upgrade their entire computer needs. That in the end will depend more so on economic decisions, than anything MS says or does. Besides which MS has a habit of issuing massive upgrades as well as lowering its price on OS's after a year or so.

So best wait & see.

Aqua
_________________
Of the four X systems in the world.

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.