123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who's tried Windows 7?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacMini87

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Who's tried Windows 7? Reply with quote

Hey all.

So Windows 7 comes out tomorrow (22nd) I'm in the UK

My Mini exceeds the spec (As can be seen in my signature below)

Anyone actually used it on the Mini? I know it's not officially supported by Apple (Or is it now? I dunno) so am I likely to run into problems?

Just don't want to spend £80 on the Home Edition and then find out, for example, my F/W400 doesn't work, or whatever.

Thanks all

New iMacs look gorgeous too! Had an email from Apple this morning Very Happy I'll add it to my "When I can afford it, I'm buying list"
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently using W7 on my Dell. Not the commercial edition, but the ultimate edition released as an RC just a few months ago.

Its not bad, but not as good as OSX in many respects, though it tries hard to emulate it.

Still, it's usable, and faster than Vista by a country mile.

But as to whether many companies, families & individuals will want to fork out loads of $$$ given that so many are quite happy with XP, is another matter altogether.

All the glitz & razzmatazz won't help sales if people don't see any value in it, beyond the eye-candy.

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running the Windows7 RC on my P4 peecee. It runs great. At some point I will either fork over for Ultimate on Craigslist, or pick up Home Premium full install version.

I have no desire to ever go back to XP!

Unfortunately, I haven't run it on my Intel mini, so I can't really answer your questions, however Apple will hopefully have updated Bootcamp drivers, if they don't already.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Windows 7 day!!! Laughing

I was running the beta and RC on a 1.66GHz Mac mini, but recently sold it for a 2009 Mac mini. I can't wait to get it going again on this Mac mini. It should even do better with the faster chip and 4GB of RAM. I know we all like to hate on Windows, but Windows 7 is pretty sweet. I'm just hoping my copy gets here today, which doesn't look good at this point.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
I know we all like to hate on Windows, but Windows 7 is pretty sweet. I'm just hoping my copy gets here today, which doesn't look good at this point.

Hi there Scoops,

Mate, its not that I necessarily hate Windows ... I just hate watching a company pour billions of dollars into making an OS that is using the same olde engine, with newly rimmed pistons, lube job plus retreads and chugs along at 30 mph.

Even a bunch of amateurs tinkering with Linux can come up with a better OS.

In my books, they (Miscrosoft) should have started from scratch.

Like Apple who transitioned from OS-9 to OS-X, they should have taken courage to hand and built Windows 7 on a Unix core; then given it away to all the suffering Vista users.

Ah but then why should I be encouraging the opposition with such eminently sensible ideas.. Wink

Aqua

Which would you choose?

MacMini87

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent guys, some really useful feedback and information posted here, much appreciated.

I can kinda see it from all angles tbh, no doubt (At least to me) OS X has for more advantages over Windows, I've only been a Mac user since Feb this year, but I have to say I've loved the generally faultless computer experience.

I'm happily using XP at the moment, just for a second I think I started to buy into the Windows 7 thing, maybe might be a good idea to anyone who's wanted to shell out the money, wait for a few months and get some real reviews from people who use there PC's day in day out.

Another thing I can't believe is the price of Windows 7? I mean I guess you could say Windows 7 is Vista with a refined GUI and a service pack, so it could be seen as an "Update" for Vista users.

Snow Leopard was an upgrade for Mac users, so Microsoft have basically done the same thing? Upgraded an "Old" OS and gave it a new name, but they're charging a hell of allot more for what is simply an upgrade.

See my point??

I'll stop rambling here, for now though am going to stick with XP until some positive reviews come about for Windows 7

Dan
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 7 pricing is a joke.

USA pricing.

Ultimate at $219 when you can get Snow Leopard (ultimate) for $129.

That's nearly 100% more costly for an OS that doesn't deliver even as much as its predecessor : Vista... let alone any previous version of OS-X.

If I were an exclusive Windows user, I'd be spewing over the price.

As one blog I went to today said...

"That means on a $500 laptop, your forking out nearly half again for OS-7. No wonder PC Manufacturers are being squeezed for margin."

Aqua

Which would you choose?

SlipperyRock

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No complaints here, I pre-ordered my copy of Windows 7 for $50. It should be here today, so this should be a fun weekend. Next week should also be fun with Fusion 3 coming out.

MacMini87 wrote:
I'm happily using XP at the moment, just for a second I think I started to buy into the Windows 7 thing, maybe might be a good idea to anyone who's wanted to shell out the money, wait for a few months and get some real reviews from people who use there PC's day in day out.

Windows 7 was in public beta for a long time. I mean, there are plenty of reviews out there. I really don't think there are any surprises this time around. And, no more Vista disk thrashing!!!!!

MacMini87 wrote:
Snow Leopard was an upgrade for Mac users, so Microsoft have basically done the same thing? Upgraded an "Old" OS and gave it a new name, but they're charging a hell of allot more for what is simply an upgrade.

One could say the same thing about Snow Leopard, but I think Windows 7 offers enough to be worth the money. But like I said before, I got mine at the pre-order price of $49. I do think you'll want to upgrade from XP though. That sucker is growing so long in the tooth. The Explorer and system search are like archaic.
saul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pre-ordered Windows 7 as well. I got an email today that it is shipping and will arrive next Wednesday. Evil or Very Mad

Microsoft ships the day after and then via UPS surface. Apple made sure that it arrived at my door on the day of release. What a difference in how they treat customers.
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had tried the RC version that expired and like it. Recently I had to make some changes/choices and now will be running WinVista as main OS for awhile. I'm going to take the A+ certification test by the end of the year and need to practice with Vista.

As far as buying Win7, I doubt it, but sometimes the job will let me install a copy for home usage.

Thnx.
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really burns me that there is no upgrade path from XP to Windows 7; you have to buy Vista, then Windows 7 or do a clean install, which means replacing all your software from the original disks. Hard to do with 4 year old PC's. It's Microsoft's revenge on everybody who didn't buy their broken Vista OS! I'm going to stick with XP when I port it to the Mac Mini. Who needs it? I can get all the eye candy I need from Snow Leopard.
strollin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
It really burns me that there is no upgrade path from XP to Windows 7; you have to buy Vista, then Windows 7 or do a clean install, which means replacing all your software from the original disks. Hard to do with 4 year old PC's. It's Microsoft's revenge on everybody who didn't buy their broken Vista OS! I'm going to stick with XP when I port it to the Mac Mini. Who needs it? I can get all the eye candy I need from Snow Leopard.

There is no requirement to buy Vista, true you need to do a clean install to go from XP to Win 7 but that really isn't that big of a deal. Only a crazy person would jump thru the hoops of buying Vista to upgrade fro XP then turn around and upgrade that to Win 7. I don't believe MS would ever recommend someone to do that.

Just as with upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard, it's probably best to do a clean install instead of an upgrade-in-place.
strollin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saul wrote:
I pre-ordered Windows 7 as well. I got an email today that it is shipping and will arrive next Wednesday. Evil or Very Mad

Microsoft ships the day after and then via UPS surface. Apple made sure that it arrived at my door on the day of release. What a difference in how they treat customers.

I guess Apple doesn't treat all of it's customers equally. I pre-ordered SL about a month before the ship date from the Apple Store. They didn't ship it until a couple of days after the the release and I got it a week after the release.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got done installing Windows 7 for my wife tonight. I have to admit, it's pretty darn slick. I really like that new taskbar and the jump lists. The Start menu is also improved from Vista. It also seems to perform much better than Vista. I'm not sure about the rest though. It seems pretty much the same as Vista at first glance.

Last edited by devo on Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My A+ 2009 books just arrived. I might see if I can pick up a real cheap PC that comes with Vista and an upgrade to Windows 7. I won't be studying Windows 7 but I may as well get it as it will likely become the "new XP". It will likely be the future OS to know and study.

I've actually never worked with Vista other than for 5 minutes at a Best Buy. I've had a fair bit of experience with Windows 2000 and XP. My primary knowledge is in Windows 95/95. I never worked with ME either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: