123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates Mac Mini and Intros Server Model
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheef

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I'm wondering what the inside of that sever looks like. Anyone seen a picture yet?

The same as the non server apparently (expect for the lack of OD of course).
iMac 27" i5 2.66GHz, 12GB
MacBook Air 11" 1.4GHz, 4GB
mdgm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Futa_Mill wrote:
The server model isnt even a server how can you call it a server with 5400 rpm drives like come on apple. I know it keeps down cost but it also keeps down prodcutivity. A faster processor ain't gunna help you when you got slow drives.

This is now my biggest gripe against Apple HD offerings in the mini, macbook and at least the small macbook pro. I don't need a high capacity drive, but I want a decently performing one and I can't get it in a 5400 rpm model. I have a 1.83 ghz C2D mini with upgraded RAM and a 7200 rpm internal drive. This feels noticeably faster to me than my new 13" macbook pro, which has a 160 gb 5400 rpm drive and 2 gb RAM. The Seagate 7200 rpm drive I put into my mini made a big difference and it's only a matter of time until I put one in my macbook pro.

Would I notice extra noise if I got a 7200rpm in a Mac Mini. I use a HTPC so wouldn't mind extra speed for encoding video so long as it isn't too noisy.
Huff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought about it more and I'm inclined to wait around a couple weeks for a refurbished server. There may be a higher incident of returns with the targeted market. I mean, if that makes any sense.

@mdgm. Adding a single 7200rpm drive doesn't increase the noise that much. Now, going with two in a server might be a slightly different deal. It might also kick up the fan noise for cooling.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigaguy wrote:
They took philiparcario's double drive Mini creation!

Actually, iFixit was probably the first one to go with dual drives in the 2009 Mac mini after it went SATA for the SuperDrive. I think they were even selling kits for a short time, but then discontinued them for some reason.
iLife's a Bitch!
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iFixit had the wrong mounting kit. it did not allow inside cooling.

the tray i found on ebay and later found the source newmodeus.com

acts as a heatsink and it allows more venting . dual hdd minis with the sata-sata tray run cooler then single drive mini's

http://newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=31_32&products_id=201

this is the link for it.

one more thing about iFixit kits they were used with the evil drive ( I think you know the one i am dissing it is batting 6 for 14. so if you do the math that drive works for 3 months 57 percent of the time. since it is a dual drive mini 57 percent squared is about 32.5 percent.

So if you built a dual drive mini with a pair of momen??? hdd's (will not mention them). you would have a failure rate over 67 percent in 3 months! Those little drives cost me 5 returns of mini's must of driven iFixit nuts they sold a lot of kits and everyone wanted the 2.5 inch 500gb 7200rpm S#$G@te's. So lots of dead drives.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say my dual minis use hitachi 500gb fine for the bottom try. toshiba 640gb fine for the bottom tray. and wd scorpio blue 750gb fine for top drive. waiting for new mini to setup a wd 640gb with a wd 1tb.

oh and to show I am not against seagate. my freeagent for mac runs great. i am look to get one more.

DaMoleMan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sort of embarrassed to ask the question, but can you run Time Machine backups to the second hard drive inside the Mac mini server? I have no experience with Macs having two internal drives, but I would probably rather do that than mirror the drives Embarassed
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the diy ones i build yes. I sold one on ebay last week.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150368541490&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT#ht_500wt_1014

I used an external seagate 1.5tb to backup both internal drives. I use one drive for programs /iTunes and the second for tv shows.

As for snow leopard server I never ran the software. I can tell you this much it is a good price.

If i built a 500gb dual hdd with a 2.53ghz cpu and snow leopard it would cost almost the same price as they are charging.

they give you snowleopard server software with an unlimited client use. My setup would just give snow leopard. we need to find a snow leopard server user and ask away.

g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for filling in the blanks about iFixit. The caddy from Newmodeus looks like a much better solution. I didn't even think of that before. I know they've had them around like that for Thinkpads for a long time.
iLife's a Bitch!
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The $799 model seems like a pretty good deal. I might have to buy one down the road.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
acts as a heatsink and it allows more venting .

I can maybe get the heatsink, but how does it allow more venting if the HDD is encapsulated in the caddy? Didn't iFixit just have the drive sitting up in the same compartment? I'm thinking it should have been fine with the opitcal slot basically open. This server model doesn't even have that with the solid front.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
philiparcario wrote:
acts as a heatsink and it allows more venting .

I can maybe get the heatsink, but how does it allow more venting if the HDD is encapsulated in the caddy? Didn't iFixit just have the drive sitting up in the same compartment? I'm thinking it should have been fine with the opitcal slot basically open. This server model doesn't even have that with the solid front.

the caddy has a bezel remove the bezel two screws and you have an opening that lines up with the dvd slot. if you place a wet finger in front of the dvd slot you will feel air moving. the bezels were made for note book use to dress up the side of a notebook. so what you have is a natural drafting taking place.

http://newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=188

look at this link click on the small image of a dvd and a caddy tray that has a silver faceplate/bezel. when you do the install you don't use the faceplate. i know it runs cooler with the second drive in and the face plate removed.

pmjoe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if you get a Mac mini server and want/need to reinstall the OS, can you do that from a drive on the network, or do you have to buy the external SuperDrive?
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151182&cm_re=samsung_usb_dvd-_-27-151-182-_-Product

this works with the server. only 50 bucks.

K.C.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMoleMan wrote:
I'm sort of embarrassed to ask the question, but can you run Time Machine backups to the second hard drive inside the Mac mini server? I have no experience with Macs having two internal drives, but I would probably rather do that than mirror the drives Embarassed

You could do either. Out of the box it's designed to run from one drive and backup to the other. There's no reason you couldn't run the drives with software RAID 1 or 0, though you'd have to reinstall the OS obviously.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: