123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you getting the H1N1 (swine flu) vaccine?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Are you getting the H1N1 (swine flu) vaccine? Reply with quote

I actually can't decide myself. I remember getting the regular flu shot a few years ago and getting sick as a dog a couple days later. I just wonder how proven this thing really is? Neutral
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope. none 4 me. (ambiguous Austin Powers line) "I too, live dangerously." I've never gotten a regular flu shot, why would I get a "new" one? I'll save my money for more Mac Gear.... Wink Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually not getting it. I had H1N1 two weeks ago. Damn near killed me. My parents were visiting and got it as well. Mom got better in 4 days, dad was rushed to the intensive care unit half dead and spent a week in the hospital. I talked the doc into some Tamiflu ($160 for ten pills) and don't think it was worth a damn. I get influenza every year regardless if I get a shot or not. Being that I am the audio visual director for a large conference center I am exposed to thousands of people from all across the U.S. every month. It wasn't a question of "if" I get it but "when" I get it.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's scary Tony! Hope everyone comes out in good shape. What were you overall symptoms?

I'll probably get both of the shots or spray. I work in schools around students some of the day and they already have the regular flu running wild.
iLife's a Bitch!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope - not gonna do it. Every year the ex would get the flu shots, and then get the flu. Then she stopped getting the shots and didn't get the flu.

H1N1 might be a bad arse strain, but I am of the opinion that if I were to get the dormant version, I'd end up with the active version a day or two later.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
usarcher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
Wow, that's scary Tony! Hope everyone comes out in good shape. What were you overall symptoms?

I'll probably get both of the shots or spray. I work in schools around students some of the day and they already have the regular flu running wild.

I work for a school district too, and will be getting both shots. Normally I wouldn't but my son is going to be born within a week and I don't want to be bringing it home to him and my wife.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:

For me it was extreme fever, high heart rate (130bpm), body aches, kidney's took a serious beating. Settled in the chest a bit as well.
For some H1N1 will be a mild flu not even very noticeable. For other like myself and my father it will damn near kill your a$$. I almost thought about blogging it day by day because it was just silly how delirious the fever made me.

There is huge controversy around the companies who are contracted to make the current vaccine. I have heard they have immunity if anything goes screwy with the vaccine. The government wanted to "fast track" this vaccine to get it out to the public, doing so they had to take a calculated risk.
A. get it out fast and hope nothing is wrong with it and it is for the right strain.
Or
B. Develop it and test the hell out of it and jump through all the FDA's hoops and hope we don't get caught with our pants down.

I think they chose A.

This is a great PSA from the 70's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxLB9k2sSIM

There is a lot of misinformation media hype out there on H1N1. I perceive it to be just the same nasty, highly contagious, influenza that we all deal with every year, just by a different name.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: no shot Reply with quote

29 of 32 deaths were asthmatic

28 of 32 deaths were more then 5 months pregnant.

that means a minimum of 25 were both pregnant and asthmatic.

over 2 million have had it. so your odds of death at worst are 7 in

twomillion if you are not an asthmatic pregnant woman.

your odds of death could be as low as 4 in twomillion.

vaccine deaths last year were about 1000. so being a compulsive

gambler in a program. I am forced to make a bet. since I have asthma I was

going to get the shot. first info i had was 29 of 32 deaths were asthmatic. I

figured I need to get it. well with the new info since I am a non pregnant man even

though I have asthma the math still favors no shot.

Since I am in a program about gambling and have 19 years without betting I

have talked this over with a lot of people. I also have a degree in accounting. I am

okay with the no shot choice.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the doctor's office last week to get a regular flu shot.

For the first time in I don't know when I didn't get deathly sick right after. Actually, no effects at all.

As for the H1N1 shot, I'll likely pass. I'm not particularly comfortable with something that's been rushed to market. The gov't. assurances that it's safe doesn't hold any particular sway with me. In fact, it makes me trust it even less.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usarcher wrote:
I work for a school district too, and will be getting both shots. Normally I wouldn't but my son is going to be born within a week and I don't want to be bringing it home to him and my wife.

Yeah, you better be extremely careful with a little one on the way. I would also start stocking up on the Purell. I mean, almost 30% of one of our schools was out sick yesterday. No confirmed cases of H1N1, but I have a feeling that it's coming.

Smithcraft wrote:
Nope - not gonna do it. Every year the ex would get the flu shots, and then get the flu. Then she stopped getting the shots and didn't get the flu.

My wife and mother-in-law feel the same way. Then in the next breath, they tell me to get one. They don't want me brining anything home. Rolling Eyes

TonyMontana wrote:
For me it was extreme fever, high heart rate (130bpm), body aches, kidney's took a serious beating. Settled in the chest a bit as well.
For some H1N1 will be a mild flu not even very noticeable. For other like myself and my father it will damn near kill your a$$. I almost thought about blogging it day by day because it was just silly how delirious the fever made me.

Wow, that doesn't sound fun. I can get pretty delirious with the regular flu. I usually end up curling up in a ball under a blanket and staring at the walls. I can't even follow a show on television. Heck, I could never get online and post something.

How long did it take for them to get your tests back confirming H1N1?
iLife's a Bitch!
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how you can describe your near death experience symtoms in one breath and then in the next say you don't need to get a shot. Well, maybe not YOU NOW, because you already had it, but I think the risk, especially for older people, is too great to ignore. I got the regular flu shot last week and had no problems with it. My first one too. In fact, the new needles are so small, you don't even feel the poke. If the opportunity comes around for the H1N1 shot, I'm gonna take it. Better safe than sorry.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't normally, but I am this year for my wife. It's scary as shit hearing all this stuff about pregnant women dying from H1N1. I really don't even want to think about it.

Okay, time to lighten things up on this subject. My daughter told me this joke a couple weeks ago. I thought it was pretty cute.

Q: What's the difference between the bird flu and swine flu?

A: For the bird flu you need tweetment. For the swine flu you need oinkment.

Oh well, I thought it was cute. Smile
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
I don't know how you can describe your near death experience symtoms in one breath and then in the next say you don't need to get a shot. Well, maybe not YOU NOW, because you already had it, but I think the risk, especially for older people, is too great to ignore. I got the regular flu shot last week and had no problems with it. My first one too. In fact, the new needles are so small, you don't even feel the poke. If the opportunity comes around for the H1N1 shot, I'm gonna take it. Better safe than sorry.

And this is one of the many good arguments in this matter. As I have heard a few experts comment on the vaccine. "What's the worst that can happen if you do get the shot... you could get the flu, and if not, you could be vaccinated against it." This is a calculated risk for some people by not getting vaccinated. For others it's a "no brainer".

But then there are reports like this.

"There is a precedent for pandemic influenza vaccine disaster. In 1976 USA initiated a nation-wide vaccination campaign to counteract what was perceived as a life threatening outbreak of swine influenza. In those who were vaccinated, there were 58 deaths and more than 550 cases of Guillain-Barré paralysis, attack and death rates about ten times greater than that which occurred prior to the campaign. The swine flu pandemic never occurred."
http://vran.org/about-vaccines/specific-vaccines/influenza-vaccine-flu-shot/h1n1-pandemic-influenza-vaccine/

I attended a state-wide conference on H1N1 prior to getting H1N1. There is simply just a lot of mis-information between the CDC, doctors, health care workers and the public health administrators. My community now has weekly meetings to address info and concerns between all aspects of public health in regards to H1N1.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
Guillain-Barré

One of my friends from high school came down with that. It was so bad he had to be airlifted to WUSM in St. Louis. He like almost died.

I'm not going anywhere near this shot for now.
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noooooo. WheelSpinners, so he was airlifted to Washington University Medical Center? The hospital it's linked with for student doctors/nurses is very good. Barnes-Jewish Hospital.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: