123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much time I'm looking to spend?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boneca

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: How much time I'm looking to spend? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

All my upgrade parts are finally arrived. I'm trying to figure out more or less estimate as how much time this upgrade will take.

The upgrades are: Super Drive, Hard Drive and AirPort/Bluetooth Kit. I might do overclock as well but I’ll see about that.

TAIA
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rough estimate 1-2 hours. That includes a fresh install of OS X. I had mine down to the motherboard to look for those jumpers.
boneca

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Rough estimate 1-2 hours. That includes a fresh install of OS X. I had mine down to the motherboard to look for those jumpers.

thanks

on that note, what do you think about jumpers? I mean this is exactly what I'm planning to do. I want to see how they look like and at that point I want to make a decision ether to do the overclock or not.

I don't have a soldering gun and I was thinking just to remove 2 jumpers to do 1.5GHz overclock from 1.25GHz.
Box cutter will do, just cut it in the middle or else?
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to see them. I'm not the best person to ask about removing them. The other stuff is a breeze to take out and replace.
boneca

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to update you guys with my results.
Its all took me about 30min (without installation the OS of cause), pretty easy task(s).

I can feel noticeable performance gain after upgrading the HD from 42K to 72K RPM, I haven't tested the SuperDrive yet (it did read fine while installing Tiger), the AirPort and Bluetooth working fine even I'm not planning to use AirPort since I'm on wired LAN.

Thanks everybody for the help.
p.s. after looking at jumpers and reading some suggestions here and there I decided not to do overclocking at this time.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boneca wrote:

p.s. after looking at jumpers and reading some suggestions here and there I decided not to do overclocking at this time.

I think that's a smart move. It sounds like you're all ready to roll! Very Happy
Ranter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boneca wrote:

My choice is the same as yours. I think overclocking is best left to those who feel that their computer is too reliable.

Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them.
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: