123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does keyboard/mouse have to directly connected?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Does keyboard/mouse have to directly connected? Reply with quote

Trying to free up a port on my Mini, I tried moving the keyboard USB connection to my USB hub. When I booted up the Mini, I saw an error "USB low power!"

Moved keyboard back to direct connection & all was well.

Setup:
Apple keyboard with Apple mouse attached to it
DLink powered USB 2.0 hub

Only thing connected to USB hub right now is Epson printer.
Firewire has external drive & iPod daisy chanined.
travism

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be the printer drawing to much power. But you would think since its a powered hub you wouldn’t get such a message. I would just leave it be and plug things into the Hub. Sorry not much help! I did Google it out of curiosity and came up with these.

http://matias.ca/tactilepro/support/index.php

http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB3&Number=283623&page=12&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Mini powered since 2-22-05!
nalenb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Belkin 4 port powered hub with a printer, card reader and dvd writer on it without problem. I also have my mouse and keyboard on another hub (KVM switch). Note also that the Apple keyboard has 2 usb ports on it.
numediaman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have serious concerns about the USB and FW ports on the mini.

In any case, some people have had issues with USB hubs (like me). The issues cause low power warnings, and devices disappearing. The solution for me was to reconfigure my USB devices so that it was either connected directly (keyboard) or connected through my ACD, eliminating the hub. For FW, though, I couldn't do that without serious daisy chaining. At first I could be come up with a solution that worked. I packed up the mini in order to take to the Apple Store and reinserted my laptop into the mix. Everything worked fine with the laptop. I took the laptop out and reinserted the mini and suddenly everything was fine again. Strange.

That was almost three weeks ago and I've had no problems since.
idave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

numediaman wrote:
I have serious concerns about the USB and FW ports on the mini.

In any case, some people have had issues with USB hubs (like me). The issues cause low power warnings, and devices disappearing. The solution for me was to reconfigure my USB devices so that it was either connected directly (keyboard) or connected through my ACD, eliminating the hub. For FW, though, I couldn't do that without serious daisy chaining. At first I could be come up with a solution that worked. I packed up the mini in order to take to the Apple Store and reinserted my laptop into the mix. Everything worked fine with the laptop. I took the laptop out and reinserted the mini and suddenly everything was fine again. Strange.

That was almost three weeks ago and I've had no problems since.

Could this be some sorf of USB/Firewire power management bug? Like the mini powers them down to save power and they’re waking up grumpy.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
rdhazrd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since the first iMac came out Apple has said the keyboard should be directly plugged in to computer and not a hub.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: