123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I tried to wait, but who wants to use Winders?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: I tried to wait, but who wants to use Winders? Reply with quote

I've been wanting a PowerBook ever since my son bought one and found it completely satisfactory. One thing that was holding me back was the relatively low screen resolutions in the PowerBook line. So when Apple upgraded the 15" PowerBook to 1440 by 960 I was very, very tempted. But I thought I'd wait a while longer.

Well, this week I had occasion to use my dusty old Sony notebook, which is infested with the world's least secure operating system. So much updating, rebooting, giving permission to the firewall, updating the anti-virus software, almost a half an hour went by and I was still just getting caught up with the 53,000 newest malware threats. It had been a few weeks since I booted it up. I mean, who wants to use Winders?

So finally this morning I could no longer resist. I ordered a 15" PowerBook with a gig-o-RAM and a 120gb hard drive.

I just have one question. Is it here yet?

Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them.
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
caulktel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sort of did the same thing. I sold my IBM Thinkpad and tomorrow I am going to buy a new 12 inch iBook at our local Apple store. Today is going sooo slooow, I can't wait till tomorrow.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your new purchase! You are going to love that new screen. I'm going to hold off until they ship with an Intel Processors. I really want a 15" PowerBook in the worst way. Look at my signature! Laughing It used to say waiting for G5 powered PowerBooks. Fortunately I have my Mac mini and iMac G5 to hold me over. Reply back with how you like the screen once you get it.
iLife's a Bitch!
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I tried to wait, but who wants to use Winders? Reply with quote

Ranter wrote:
So finally this morning I could no longer resist. I ordered a 15" PowerBook with a gig-o-RAM and a 120gb hard drive.

You were supposed to order two of them. Did you forget that I wanted one too?

Razz Wink

Jamie
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I tried to wait, but who wants to use Winders? Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
Ranter wrote:

Razz Wink

Jamie

Yea, I said "I" was wating for Intel. Make that three! Wink
iLife's a Bitch!
ufauxreal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just sort of did the same thing. I sold my IBM Thinkpad and tomorrow I am going to buy a new 12 inch iBook at our local Apple store. Today is going sooo slooow, I can't wait till tomorrow.

If you purchase it through Amazon.com, you can get the $100 rebate. It took about 10 days for my iBook from Amazon to get here.

I guess it depends on which you have more of... patience or $$$'s Smile
Ranter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I tried to wait, but who wants to use Winders? Reply with quote

picaman wrote:

I guess I'm so old I've gotten forgetful. What was it I forgot? Smile

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
AndyMac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux is just as good as OSX.
Ranter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyMac wrote:

For running a web server, I'd say Linux is better than OS X. For using Dreamweaver and Photoshop Linux is not an option.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
AndyMac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranter wrote:
AndyMac wrote:

For running a web server, I'd say Linux is better than OS X. For using Dreamweaver and Photoshop Linux is not an option.

True. Windows is only as good as its user. Millions of corperations use Windows and it works fine. Aslong as your copy of Windows is up-to-date, your running an OS just as good as OSX. I myself Use Windows Everyday at work but i come home to a mac running osx. My Windows machine ran great. I had no problems with spyware or anything else.
Ranter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my PowerBook arrived on the date that Apple said they would ship it. That's not so bad. I did the Target disk move applications thing and that went pretty well. Oddly though, my Power Mac threw a kernel panic when I first powered it up after having transferred the files. It seems to have recovered OK.

Between the copying of applications and syncing with .Mac, it sure was easy to get it going.

I did have trouble at first getting the Airport connection going with our Netgear Wi-Fi router. We are using 128bit WEP encryption, and the Airport control applet seemed to want to truncate the key. I finally got it working, but I'm not certain that I know how I did it.

The build quality seems up to the extremely high standard of all Apple products.

My first impression is very good.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caulktel wrote:

I sorta did what you did as well. However I turned in my thinkpad to my now former employer and bought a 12" iBook. Had it for over a month now and really love it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aristobrat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranter wrote:
My first impression is very good.

I'm on week #3 with my new 15" PB. Drove 5 hours (round-trip) to an Apple store the day that they were announced and picked up one for me and one for my other half. Smile Still loving every minute of it!

Hadn't had them for a day or two before our friends started asking how much we'd part with our mac mini's for. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: