123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which 1GB Ram do I look for? + other questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calico

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Which 1GB Ram do I look for? + other questions Reply with quote

Hello all,

Not all of the resellers of Ram make it easy to see which Ram to buy for the mac mini. I'm bewildered to say the least.

I looked in your archives, but can't find this specific topic.

(1) Which brands are prefered?

(2) When I am on a site with a search box, what specs do I enter to make sure i'm getting the right Ram for the Mini?

(3) Does anyone recommend a specific reseller?

(4) Is $100-$120 about the going price?

About me: I don't have my mini yet. I've used Macs since 1997. Have opened (successfully) the old Powermac 7300 and 8500, so I feel I can probably successfully open and upgrade the mini if I take my time and follow good directions. Currently have an eMac and will sell it to finance the Mini with new 19" monitor. (fingers crossed) I use it mostly for design of web and print, photoshop being the most intense of my apps. All told, 1gb of ram in the eMac allows me to do everything I need power-wise. So, I should also be okay on a mini, right?

Thanks everyone Smile

PS: One worry, I am looking at the refurbed mini's from apple for $379. I read something about some models being upable to support some monitors. What do I need to know to make sure my refurb model will be okay?
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Which 1GB Ram do I look for? + other questions Reply with quote

calico wrote:
Hello all,

Not all of the resellers of Ram make it easy to see which Ram to buy for the mac mini. I'm bewildered to say the least.

I looked in your archives, but can't find this specific topic.

(2) When I am on a site with a search box, what specs do I enter to make sure i'm getting the right Ram for the Mini?

About me: I don't have my mini yet. I've used Macs since 1997. Have opened (successfully) the old Powermac 7300 and 8500, so I feel I can probably successfully open and upgrade the mini if I take my time and follow good directions. Currently have an eMac and will sell it to finance the Mini with new 19" monitor. (fingers crossed) I use it mostly for design of web and print, photoshop being the most intense of my apps. All told, 1gb of ram in the eMac allows me to do everything I need power-wise. So, I should also be okay on a mini, right?

Thanks everyone Smile

PS: One worry, I am looking at the refurbed mini's from apple for $379. I read something about some models being upable to support some monitors. What do I need to know to make sure my refurb model will be okay?

You can find cheaper RAM, but I always recommend and use RAM from Crucial. They make it really easy for you, you just tell them what model of Apple computer you are buying and they will ensure you get the correct t RAM:
http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodel.asp?cat=RAM&mfr=Apple&productline=Mac+mini&submit=Go

Looks like RAM at crucial (fro 1GB) is running around $140 (that includes shipping). Like I said, you can find cheaper RAM out there, but after experiencing two bad RAM sticks with my PC, I always try to buy Crucial now..
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Which 1GB Ram do I look for? + other questions Reply with quote

Quote:

Crucial, Corsair and Kingston

Quote:

PC2700 or PC3200 Synchronous DRAM (SDRAM) , 2.5 volt, 8-byte non-parity, 64-bit wide, 184-pin module, unbuffered—do not use registered or buffered SDRAM, maximum height of 50 mm
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300572

Quote:

Newegg and Crucial

Quote:

You should be able to get something for around $100.
iLife's a Bitch!
calico

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Thank you both very much.

I was able to find the right ram from Crucial is actually about $145+free shipping once I click their sale link (they shouldn't bother with making people click that sale link, I almost didn't realize there was a discount and almost passed them by as an option), and then I followed the links from Corsairs web site for their recommendation for the Mini to New Egg where they sell it for $157+shipping of about $3.

I looked up Kingston, but their price is quite a bit more.

I feel good about these choices.

Thanks so much!
3balls

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get a stick from mushkin for just a little under $100. check out their web site.
miknee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mushkin- that is one confusing website!
chinarut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crucial came highly recommended to me from several sources. In fact, a specific recommendation not to go with the cheapest RAM out there for reliability reasons.

My 1GB stick (as well as an ext fw HDD) is now in the mail - can't wait! Smile
SonOfJObs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Hi there! Reply with quote

I just bought some RAM, looks like I got the wrong sort.

Kingston 1GB PC3200 CL3 (not 2.5) 184 PINS DIMM.

This will not work, will it?

Best regards,

Klaus
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi there! Reply with quote

SonOfJObs wrote:
I just bought some RAM, looks like I got the wrong sort.

Kingston 1GB PC3200 CL3 (not 2.5) 184 PINS DIMM.

This will not work, will it?

Best regards,

Klaus

The RAM will work. It doesn't matter if the stick has a CL 3 or CL 2.5 CAS latency.
iLife's a Bitch!
boxerfreeflow00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would this be ok?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141429
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boxerfreeflow00 wrote:
would this be ok?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141429

That should work..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: