123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is DVI Video Better Than VGA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Is DVI Video Better Than VGA? Reply with quote

I have a new monitor that works with both VGA and DVI-D. I bought my computer with the mini-DVI to VGA converter. The new monitor works really well with the VGA input. Would the picture look better if I bought a mini DVI-D to DVI-D converter? The resolution is 1920 X 1080.

If the picture quality won't change then I won't bother with it. The monitor doesn't have speakers so needing to connect audio isn't important. I use external speakers.

Smallwheels
www.MrMoneyHelper.com
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say yes, I also know someone who would say no. Doesn't the new mini come with a mini DVI to DVI connector?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Raz0rEdge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a little higher resolution with the DVI cable, but if you aren't interested in that, the quality of the video between the VGA and DVI connector will be the same..

Regards
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would say yes. When connected thru VGA, I find that the picture on a monitor is 'softer'.
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Mac Book Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I would say yes, I also know someone who would say no. Doesn't the new mini come with a mini DVI to DVI connector?

SC

I didn't say which computer I am using. It is a Mac Book.

I have been using my Mac Book for most of my activities. My new Vista computer is used for streaming movies because the service I use only works for Microsoft computers. Lately I've been wanting some type of switch that would allow me to just use both computers with the one monitor. The Vista computer has both DVI and VGA video outputs. I have the Apple mini-DVI to VGA converter for the Mac Book.

Doing research I've learned about KVM switches. So far I don't know of any that work really well without breaking within a year. The ones I've seen use VGA connectors. I haven't seen any that can use both VGA (from one computer) and DVI from another computer.

Has anybody connected two computers to one screen using VGA from one computer and the DVI from the other one? If I turned off one of the computers would I need to also unplug it or would the monitor still be confused and not work if both remained plugged in?

Smallwheels
www.MrMoneyHelper.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I do. The mini is connected via DVI, and the peecee is connected via VGA. My Xerox display does not have an option to switch between inputs, but some displays do. I don't need to disconnect the cables, I just shut down the computer I don't need(if I sleep the mini, it wakes up when I disconnect the USB hub). The display doesn't detect anything and goes to sleep, and I turn on the other computer. The display detects the signal and comes back to life.

You can get a USB switch, which is what I'm gonna do. Sadly they are low volume items and are a bit pricey.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: DVI VS. VGA Reply with quote

I found my DVI cable that came with my monitor and used it to connect my Vista computer to the monitor. I left the VGA cable connected to my Mac Book. I did turn off each computer before viewing the monitor, meaning only one computer was on at a time so as not to mess up the monitor or confuse it with signals from two machines.

I watched a DVD on the Mac Book using the VGA and it looked good. I then took the same DVD and put it in the Vista computer connected using the DVI-D cable. To my eyes, with this movie, the movie images looked better using the DVI-D connection.

The only problem was when connecting the DVI cable I must reset the screen resolution on the Vista computer.

Each time I turn on the Mac Book I must use the built-in monitor and then switch to the external monitor. When doing this I must rearrange the desktop icons. Another problem is that for some reason some windows open too far to the left which moves the browser controls off the screen. I must drag the window onto the screen each time.

I need to reset the alignment of the screen each time I connect it to the Mac Book after it has been connected to the Vista computer. This is not convenient because the auto-adjust feature doesn't do a good job and I must do it manually.

I wonder if I had both computers using the DVI connection or the VGA connection would I need to keep adjusting the screen. I think that tomorrow I'll try using just the VGA on both the Mac Book and Vista machines. I'll just need to unscrew the cable from my mini-DVI to VGA connector on the Mac Book and switch it to the Vista Machine. If that keeps the monitor from changing its settings then I'll buy a mini-DVI to DVI connector for the Mac Book so that I can have the better picture.

Smallwheels

www.MrMoneyHelper.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: