123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Are Your First Impressions of Snow Leopard?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KoderKev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmen65 wrote:
I like Snow Leopard for the most part, but what's up with Safari 4? It's so slow on certain sites. Take the Apple Start Page for example. The content in the center takes forever to load. I see this same behavior on dozens of sites. Sad

Don't know what that's about, the content is SLAM/BANG instantaneous for me, even the center stuff. You might try clearing out your Safari caches or something.

KK

2.3 ghz 2011 mini w/ 250 SSD & 8 gb RAM
2 tb ext. Time Machine HD "Superman"
1 tb ext. media HD "Batman"
32gb iPhone 5c
pietje.puck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: More noise from DVD drive because of Snow Leopard Reply with quote

Hi All,
I have noticed a very disappointing difference after upgrading to Snow Leopard; I'm curious to here if you experience the same:
I use my Mac Mini (early 2009, before that a PPC 2006) a lot for watching DVDs. After the intromenu, the drive would slow down, and you could hardly hear the Mini, and can enjoy watching the DVD. Now, however, the drive continues to spin at full speed, the noise is quite loud; this spoils the whole experience.... Crying or Very sad
I'm really thinking of re-installing Leopard, as the DVD player is an essential use of the Mini...
I have tried to install the firmware update that was released last week, but that was not applicable. Note that the drive doesn't make noise at start-up, only during DVD playing.
Did I miss some Preference setting somewhere?
Thanks
pietje.puck

Update: I cleaned the drive using a cleaning CD (with small brushes)
It now works fine again!!
It was just a coincidence that the problem started after the update to Snow Leopard (or maybe the animal left some bits behind....) Very Happy

Last edited by pietje.puck on Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HP deal is my only disappointment. I kept a clone of 10.5.8 so it's not like I'm out of business. In spite of what HP says, their included drivers; in many cases, do not work. Nor does their jury rigged work arounds. My Deskjet F4180 will scan through Image Capture or Preview; but, will not print. It will print a test page when the driver is bypassed through the Printer Set-Up Utility, though. Actually, I have never been a fan of HP. They always seemed a little slip-shod. I may use this as an excuse to get a new all-in-one. Smile

There is some change, as well, in the way that Applescript handles dates.

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/releasenotes/ScriptingAutomation/RN-AppleScriptSL/index.html

I had a favorite script that displayed an elapsed time since the last reboot. It had to be completely overhauled. But, it seems like I had to do the very same thing going from Tiger to Leopard.
Other than the HP cluster, I am pretty pleased.
LE Studios

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: More noise from DVD drive because of Snow Leopard Reply with quote

pietje.puck wrote:
Hi All,
I have noticed a very disappointing difference after upgrading to Snow Leopard; I'm curious to here if you experience the same:
I use my Mac Mini (early 2009, before that a PPC 2006) a lot for watching DVDs. After the intromenu, the drive would slow down, and you could hardly hear the Mini, and can enjoy watching the DVD. Now, however, the drive continues to spin at full speed, the noise is quite loud; this spoils the whole experience.... Crying or Very sad
I'm really thinking of re-installing Leopard, as the DVD player is an essential use of the Mini...
I have tried to install the firmware update that was released last week, but that was not applicable. Note that the drive doesn't make noise at start-up, only during DVD playing.
Did I miss some Preference setting somewhere?
Thanks
pietje.puck

Update: I cleaned the drive using a cleaning CD (with small brushes)
It now works fine again!!
It was just a coincidence that the problem started after the update to Snow Leopard (or maybe the animal left some bits behind....) Very Happy

Yeah, you full of bits. Very Happy
somefreak90

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that my webcam doesn't work anymore, but hopefully they'll fix that with an update. Or I can just reinstall the drivers.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what i a have seen Nice upgrade easy to install very fast 10.6.1 update didn't slow down snow leopard.

So far very happy.
KoderKev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
From what i a have seen Nice upgrade easy to install very fast 10.6.1 update didn't slow down snow leopard.

So far very happy.

Me too. They sure got the first bug fix out fast this time!

KK

32gb iPhone 5c
LE Studios

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KoderKev wrote:
macmanmacman wrote:

So far very happy.

KK

Cool, I have no problems.
LE Studios

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LE Studios wrote:
KoderKev wrote:
macmanmacman wrote:

So far very happy.

KK

You know what bothers me I got more problems with iTunes 9 then I ever had with Leopard or even Snow Leopard! WTF? Confused
FishKepr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday (09/22), Logitech put out an update to the Logitech Control Center to support Snow Leopard.

I really like the ability to use the tilt wheel as a forward and back button in Safari and Firefox.

Last edited by FishKepr on Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishKepr wrote:
Yesterday (09/22), Logitech put out an update to the Logitech Control Center to support Snow Leopard.

SteerMouse also got an update for Snow Leopard a couple days ago. Smile
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
LE Studios

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LE Studios wrote:
LE Studios wrote:
KoderKev wrote:
macmanmacman wrote:

So far very happy.

KK

You know what bothers me I got more problems with iTunes 9 then I ever had with Leopard or even Snow Leopard! WTF? Confused

Apple did a iTunes 9.01 Update and everything is good and fast now! Very Happy
tukom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not noticed too many changes, but I welcomed the iTunes 9 upgrade as I like the black playback functions on fullscreen mode. I feel that the video quality is a bit better on 2.5mbs video files...
WahWahWatson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tukom wrote:
I have not noticed too many changes, but I welcomed the iTunes 9 upgrade as I like the black playback functions on fullscreen mode. I feel that the video quality is a bit better on 2.5mbs video files...

There are some things I hate about iTunes 9, but the new look black controls aren't one of them.
KoderKev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Try a Finder copy! Reply with quote

I just had to copy my iTunes folder to an external drive because it is out-growing my available HD space on the Mini. MAN! I used to copy stuff in Terminal windows because the Finder was so slow. It isn't anymore! It's ripping through a 40GB file copy so fast I can actually see the progress bar move. I've never seen the Finder handle a large file copy so fast!

OK, I'm sold: Snow Leopard rocks.

32gb iPhone 5c
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: