123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Are Your First Impressions of Snow Leopard?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KoderKev

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Widgets broken? Reply with quote

I'm having problems with two of my Dashboard widgets. Can anyone confirm that Dashquit and Twidget are broken in SL?

KK

2.3 ghz 2011 mini w/ 250 SSD & 8 gb RAM
2 tb ext. Time Machine HD "Superman"
1 tb ext. media HD "Batman"
32gb iPhone 5c
MalzyWheels

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One old school way to really judge SL's speed and power:

I still use a Sony Mavica camera that uses a 3.5" diskette to save it's pictures on. I transfer the picture file(s) to iPhoto from the disk by dragging the file(s) from the Finder to the iPhoto icon in the dock. Dong this in Leopard, transferring 1 photo could eat up the better part of 5 seconds. In Snow Leopard, the transfer is instantaneous - after dragging the file I cannot bring up iPhoto fast enough to witness the actual transfer, the picture will just be in my library as if it was there all along.

This is something I'd never expect from the upgrade..
1961 HH Scott 299C integrated Amplifier (7591 Output Tubes)
B&W DM302 speakers
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalzyWheels wrote:
My Mini started up faster today then it did yesterday - by far. Think the caches are being optimized. And startup is now way faster than Leopard.

Yeah, I'm seeing that now MaltzyWheels -- I've booted the Mini, clicked on Safari and BANG! Half a bounce of the icon and it's on the screen and ready to go!

Maybe I won't revert back to Leopard after all... Wink Cool
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Widgets broken? Reply with quote

KoderKev wrote:
I'm having problems with two of my Dashboard widgets. Can anyone confirm that Dashquit and Twidget are broken in SL?

KK

I can't speak for Dashquit, but Twidget seems to be broken. It won't flip after you enter your account information.
KoderKev

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the confirm on Twidget, Scooper. That's the same behavior I'm seeing.

KK

2.3 ghz 2011 mini w/ 250 SSD & 8 gb RAM
2 tb ext. Time Machine HD "Superman"
1 tb ext. media HD "Batman"
32gb iPhone 5c
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Snow Leopard for the most part, but what's up with Safari 4? It's so slow on certain sites. Take the Apple Start Page for example. The content in the center takes forever to load. I see this same behavior on dozens of sites. Sad
LE Studios

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmen65 wrote:
I like Snow Leopard for the most part, but what's up with Safari 4? It's so slow on certain sites. Take the Apple Start Page for example. The content in the center takes forever to load. I see this same behavior on dozens of sites. Sad

Well I thought it was me! Surprised
MalzyWheels

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:

I honestly thought about reverting for about a day in a half, but then I really started to notice the speed, and I started to using things like the new expose actions, and those things are really superior, once you use them. I'm mondo content with SL. Outside of the stoopid HP printer driver debacle, I have run into a few minor bugs. Nothing to be dramatic over. Everything will be fixed soon enough.
B&W DM302 speakers
LE Studios

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalzyWheels wrote:
JohnnyBoy wrote:

I honestly thought about reverting for about a day in a half, but then I really started to notice the speed, and I started to using things like the new expose actions, and those things are really superior, once you use them. I'm mondo content with SL. Outside of the stoopid HP printer driver debacle, I have run into a few minor bugs. Nothing to be dramatic over. Everything will be fixed soon enough.

What HP Printer do you have? Confused
LE Studios

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody have their 2009 Mac mini connected to a home theatre system? Do you use the optical out? Because since I upgraded to Snow Leopard. It sounds clearer and detail like there's an improvement, but everything is the same setting on my sound system and on the Mac mini plus I checked the Audio MIDI Setup it's still 44.1KHz and 2ch-16-bit sound. Yeah I'm still getting 5.1 Audio output on iTunes Movies. I just want to be sure it's not just me! Laughing
MalzyWheels

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LE Studios wrote:
MalzyWheels wrote:
JohnnyBoy wrote:

What HP Printer do you have? Confused

It's a PSC 1410.

According to HP, the drivers for all PSC1400 series printers were shipped with SL. I relied on that info and installed SL, but that info turned out to be bunk. This is a multifunction machine, but the scanner drivers were available in SL. I also figured out that I could use the printer drivers for the PSC 1500 series.
B&W DM302 speakers
FishKepr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MalzyWheels"][quote="LE Studios"]
MalzyWheels wrote:

It's a PSC 1410.

According to HP, the drivers for all PSC1400 series printers were shipped with SL. I relied on that info and installed SL, but that info turned out to be bunk. This is a multifunction machine, but the scanner drivers were available in SL. I also figured out that I could use the printer drivers for the PSC 1500 series.

Have you checked out the HP thread on the Apple discussion forum?

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/posting.php?mode=quote&p=169736

For our C4480, we needed to uninstall ALL of the HP software using the uninstaller, THEN installing the Snow Leopard HP drivers.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishKepr wrote:
For our C4480, we needed to uninstall ALL of the HP software using the uninstaller, THEN installing the Snow Leopard HP drivers.

I haven't even tried using my Canon Pixma MP130 all-in-one since installing SL, purely out of fear that it won't work and I'll have to wrestle with drivers to fix it.
MalzyWheels

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="FishKepr"][quote="MalzyWheels"]
LE Studios wrote:
MalzyWheels wrote:

It's a PSC 1410.

I did read the HP faq at the Apple Discussion Forums, and the 1410 was discussed as one of the machines that were touted by HP to have their drivers included with SL but, oopsie, they weren't. I actually uninstalled the HP leopard drivers before starting the SL upgrade. When trying to install the printer via system preferences, I went through the rigamarole of attempting to download the drivers, but got told that the drivers for the 1400 series were/are not available. Think that's pretty definitive, especially since I installed the 1500 series drivers this way without issue.
B&W DM302 speakers
LE Studios

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MalzyWheels"][quote="FishKepr"]
MalzyWheels wrote:
LE Studios wrote:
MalzyWheels wrote:

It's a PSC 1410.

I did read the HP faq at the Apple Discussion Forums, and the 1410 was discussed as one of the machines that were touted by HP to have their drivers included with SL but, oopsie, they weren't. I actually uninstalled the HP leopard drivers before starting the SL upgrade. When trying to install the printer via system preferences, I went through the rigamarole of attempting to download the drivers, but got told that the drivers for the 1400 series were/are not available. Think that's pretty definitive, especially since I installed the 1500 series drivers this way without issue.

Yeah I got a HP ALL-In-One Photosmart C7180

An three HP Photosmart 8450

All these printers work. Honestly I think there easy to deal with ALL four are Network Printers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: