123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SSD Upgrade, how to I organise files?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
af1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: SSD Upgrade, how to I organise files? Reply with quote

Hi,
I recently installed snow leopard, looks great and apart from a few bugs It seems to run ok! but i'll post about these in another topic.

After a re-install and re-organisation of all my files/programs i seem to have filled up the original 80gb hard drive..

So if i wanted to upgrade i could get an SSD maybe 64gb or 128gb... but it will just get full of all my junk..

am i right in thinking that the operating system and all my programs MUST be on the internal drive, but my itunes folder etc. and all my files must go on the external drive, is there a way, a script perhaps that would automatically put things that would usually go to my home directory (downloads, itunes etc.) on the external drive?

Thanks in advance
thelastbeatle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all my photos, movies, music and documents on an external. There are certain steps to move your iTunes library to an externl. I hate to say do a search on google cause you never know what your gonna get. I would tell you how I did it but I'm not the best person to ask. be patient and someone will help.

I thought it would be as easy as moving the folders to the external then putting aliases of those folders in the original location.
so you replace the originals with aliases and put the originals on the external.

as far as apps. if you move apples apps out of the applications folder, they won't be updated through "software update". just something to keep in mind. also, I've installed all my pro apps onto an external with no problem. so all my iLife and non pro apple apps stay in the main app folder. but the other third party apps are on the external.

now I probably won't keep it like this because I just found out that an internal drive is much faster than a external due to the faster interface. so in the future Im just going to get a nice big 320gb internal drive for all system files and apps. everything else like itunes library and documents will go on an external.

FYI in some circumstances the external could be faster. but my 5400 rpm internal connected via the internal SATA is faster than my external 7200 rpm FireWire 400. but if I had FireWire 800 then the 7200 rpm drive would be faster than the 5400 rpm internal with the SATA connection.
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelastbeatle wrote:
... but if I had FireWire 800 then the 7200 rpm drive would be faster than the 5400 rpm internal with the SATA connection.

Not sure I believe that. Philip, can you shed some light on this assertion?
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
thelastbeatle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarification: Though the 5400 SATA drive is comparable, its not faster

My 5400 rpm SATA drive is comparable to my 7200 rpm FireWire 400 drive when it comes to copying one file to itself.

Copying from the 5400 to the 7200 was faster (because the 7200 writes faster?)
Copying from the 7200 to the 5400 was slower (because the 5400 doesn't write as fast?)

Connecting the 7200 drive with FireWire 800 should widen the margin even more. But basically im saying two things here. The SATA connection improved the performance of the 5400 drive while the 7200 drive was faster on FireWire 400 because of its rpm speed.

Its my understanding that using firewire or usb is slower that a SATA connection correct?

But this is my experience, theres others here with more knowledge.

PS, i think the original poster wanted info on how to store files and apps and itunes on an external drive.
gigaguy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have wrestled with this question, first I thought I would put all media on external drives, and keep apps, on the internal. but now I have somewhat reversed this. I just replaced the 120gb internal with a faster 320gb drive in my Mini, I keep photos, music (for now) and movie projects I make in iMovie on the internal.
other movies and non-iTunes music I put on externals.
I found it annoying with itunes music, say, kept on an external, that if you open iTunes, and the external is not on, Mac will reset up iTunes in the default area on the internal. also as I have been moving media around I was afraid, that links would be lost, say in my iMovie project that has photos, music, and home movies media that it links too.
SO, I am moving most essential media back to the 320gb internal that the iLife apps use just to simplify things. Maybe as I get better at moving libraires I will feel more comfortable with all media on externals, but for mow I have lots of room on the internal. I like the keep the internal with plenty of free space too.

it;s a work in progress. I find moving librairies and linked media a little harrowing and it rarely goes as smooth as the instructions say, for me.
hope it makes sense.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you best move is building this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150386365091&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT

but it is not low cost. this gives you 2 hdd's and they don't dropout connections like externals.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
gigaguy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, a little marketing. Wink
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: SSD Upgrade, how to I organise files? Reply with quote

af1 wrote:
am i right in thinking that the operating system and all my programs MUST be on the internal drive, but my itunes folder etc. and all my files must go on the external drive,

There are no rules as to what MUST go where. You can have the OS on an external firewire drive and run the system completely from there if you wish. I occasionally do that as I have cloned images of my systems on external HDD as backups and I occasionally boot up from them to check things are working as they should.

af1 wrote:
is there a way, a script perhaps that would automatically put things that would usually go to my home directory (downloads, itunes etc.) on the external drive?

I use an app called Hazel http://www.noodlesoft.com to do a similar thing.
With Hazel your create rules which you assign to specific folders. Hazel sits in the background watching those folders and gets trigger as the rules are met. So you could have Hazel monitoring your documents folder on the internal drive and have it move anything that lands there over to a similar folder on the external. You would just create the rules to fit what you want.

iTunes wouldn't need to do that nor would iPhoto as you would just set things up so that your libraries were on the external drive.

BTW you can if you want to, set your home folder to be in a different location than /Users/yourname. I'm not sure what would happen if you moved it to an external drive and during boot up the external drive wasn't connected though. I'm guessing it wouldn't be a good position to be in Wink.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigaguy wrote:
hmm, a little marketing. Wink

it is sold already!

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: