123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mini in October?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EliotGT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: New Mini in October? Reply with quote

I was asking a friend who works for Apple at the Genius Bar about getting a new Mac Mini to replace my 1.42 G4 and he said "Wait until October."
I tried but couldn't get any further details out of him.
dannyv45
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mini in October? Reply with quote

EliotGT wrote:
I was asking a friend who works for Apple at the Genius Bar about getting a new Mac Mini to replace my 1.42 G4 and he said "Wait until October."
I tried but couldn't get any further details out of him.

And so starts the rumor mill
MrBabou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I guess you could say nothing's impossible... But it is highly unlikely since the new model was released just last March...

Rolling Eyes
newbie1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Any further reports Reply with quote

Hi

I'm also after a new mac mini - prob the 2.26 but would wait if i knew there was a better one on the way!

Anybody out there know anything more??

VERY CURIOUS!!

btw - does anyone know if there is a difference in noise levels b/n the 2.0ghz and 2.26 ghz?
cheef

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hazard a guess that it's more likely that there will be a price reduction, rather than a new model - hence...

"wait until October [when it's going to be cheaper]"
iMac 27" i5 2.66GHz, 12GB
MacBook Air 11" 1.4GHz, 4GB
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, not the "new Mini" rumours, not again.... Crying or Very sad
CrisisDog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an article that said one of the biggest complaints of the new mini was the lack of the 9600M graphics chip compared to the 9400M. I even received an online survey from Apple a month ago that dwindled on this subject a bit.

If anything, they may have slightly faster processors again or a price drop, and I can only hope a faster graphics chip, but I won't hold my breath due to the refresh earlier this year.
saul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The web site states
Quote:
QuickTime H.264 hardware acceleration

requires a Mac with an NVIDIA 9400M graphics processor.

So for video needs wouldn't the 9600 be worse?

Anyway. My guess is that they keep the price the same but have a bigger hard drive. Possibly bump up the processor speed. Apple invested some money upgrading the logic board so a redesign of it is not likely. Saying that, if the 9600 is just a chip swap then it would be in all the iMacs already so I think that we will be keeping the 9400 for a while.
CrisisDog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saul wrote:
The web site states
Quote:
QuickTime H.264 hardware acceleration

requires a Mac with an NVIDIA 9400M graphics processor.

So for video needs wouldn't the 9600 be worse?

Anyway. My guess is that they keep the price the same but have a bigger hard drive. Possibly bump up the processor speed. Apple invested some money upgrading the logic board so a redesign of it is not likely. Saying that, if the 9600 is just a chip swap then it would be in all the iMacs already so I think that we will be keeping the 9400 for a while.

I don't know where you go the QuickTime spec, but I would assume that's a minimum requirement for hardware acceleration. The 9600M will also support H.264 decoding in hardware.

The MacBook Pro 15" and 17" have both a 9400M and a 9600M chip in them. There's a setting in the power preferences to switch between them. The 9400M uses less power, but also has less performance. The 9600M helps with better performance in 3D video games and HD video playback to some extent.

As for the iMacs, why yes, the top of the line unit does have a 9600 in it, but they (Nvidia) decided to rebrand it as a GT130, while the GT120 is a 9400.

So, with that all pointed out and said...

I would assume it would be somewhat possible to plop a 9600 into a Mac mini, seeing that they are in the MacBook Pros and the iMacs already, along with the 9400. A little circuit board redesign for the chip and voila! I would assume a holdback would be the additional heat produced by a better performing GPU though, the left side of my MacBook gets pretty hot when the 9600 is enabled. I don't have that happen with the 9400 running.
saul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Quicktime info is from Apple's tech specs page: http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html - If it is a minimum they should have better stated it.

Why isn't it in the base iMac? Heat and power don't matter much there. Probably costs Apple a lot more for the 9600M.

You may be onto something with the heat issue. More power usage would go against the mini's green marketing.
CrisisDog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saul wrote:
The Quicktime info is from Apple's tech specs page: http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html - If it is a minimum they should have better stated it.

Why isn't it in the base iMac? Heat and power don't matter much there. Probably costs Apple a lot more for the 9600M.

You may be onto something with the heat issue. More power usage would go against the mini's green marketing.

I have no doubt the 9600 is not in the base iMac due to cost. That doesn't mean a more expensive mini shouldn't be available as a "configure to buy" option though, much the same way we can get a 2.26GHz processor. But true, they would have to make sure that heat wasn't an issue.

EDIT:

I just did some quick research on the H.264 stuff. You're correct to a point, it seems that Apple has only implemented hardware acceleration on the 9400M series for some reason, but in reality, the 9600M, the GT130, the GTX285, and the Radeon 4850 and 4870 can support hardware acceleration, as it has been done on the "Windows" side of the world. Why Apple has chosen not to take advantage of this on all capable hardware, I don't know.
saul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the Apple's tech specs, all of the 9600M all have dedicated video memory. Looking further nvidia's page says that the 9400M includes a memory controller but I don't see it for the 9600M. That's probably where cost, heat, power, and speed come in as they use dedicated memory chips.
saul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrisisDog wrote:

I just did some quick research on the H.264 stuff. You're correct to a point, it seems that Apple has only implemented hardware acceleration on the 9400M series for some reason, but in reality, the 9600M, the GT130, the GTX285, and the Radeon 4850 and 4870 can support hardware acceleration, as it has been done on the "Windows" side of the world. Why Apple has chosen not to take advantage of this on all capable hardware, I don't know.

My guess is that Apple ran out of time. Too many other things to get finished. Probably will be in the 10.6.2 release....
CrisisDog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo, another thought...

Maybe if there is a refresh coming in October, they'll include Blu-Ray drives?!?!
mdgm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrisisDog wrote:
Oooo, another thought...

Maybe if there is a refresh coming in October, they'll include Blu-Ray drives?!?!

If Blu-Ray is ever supported I would expect to see it as a CTO option on the Mac Pro first, well before becoming a CTO option on the Mac Mini. I can't see Blu-Ray on the Mac Mini any time soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 1 of 28

Jump to: