123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.2 [U]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Apple Releases Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.2 [U] Reply with quote

Apple Releases Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.2
Monday, August 31, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

Apple has released the Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.2 via their Software Update utility and on the Web. According to the company, this update improves compatibility with the latest Apple memory kits on Mac mini computers. To complete the firmware update process, users should follow the instructions in the updater application (/Applications/Utilities/Mac mini EFI Firmware Update.app). The updater will launch automatically when the installation is complete. The Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.2 weighs in at 2.4MB and requires Mac OS X 10.5.7 or later.

Apple also released the SuperDrive Firmware Update 3.0. This update should eliminate the noise made by the optical disk drive during system startup and wake from sleep on your Mac. It works with both the iMac EFI Firmware 1.4 and Mac mini EFI Firmware 1.2 updates. The SuperDrive Firmware Update 3.0 weighs in at 18.3MB and requires Mac OS X 10.5.7 or later.

Update: These firmware updates are for the 2009 Mac minis. The SuperDrive Firmware Update 3.0 isn't required on all machines though. Please follow these steps to find out if your Mac mini requires this update and if the update is successfully installed:

- From the Apple menu in the upper-left menu bar, choose About This Mac.

- Click More Info, then select Serial-ATA in the Hardware section of System Profiler.

- Select the DVD entry, and inspect the Revision field in the window below.

- If you see Revision: 2AHF, your Mac mini needs this update. If the update has been successfully applied to a Mac mini computer, the field will be 2AH1.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1301.html

Last edited by admin on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:26 pm; edited 7 times in total
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: update EFI firmware Reply with quote

Is this for all Intel MiniĀ“s?
saul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: update EFI firmware Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:

Nope. Only shows up on my 2009 version.
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: update EFI firmware Reply with quote

saul wrote:
James T Kirk wrote:

Yeah, that appears to be the case. Did the SuperDrive Firmware Update 3.0 also show up for you? I'm not seeing anything on our 2009 Mac mini with a clean install of Snow Leopard.
saul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No SuperDrive update seen. Maybe only certain versions? I know that Apple changes parts sometimes.
Huff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why aren't the 2009 Mac minis supporting the 64-bit kernel with a 64-bit-EFI? I was hoping this update might enable things, but it didn't make a difference.
saul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huff wrote:
Why aren't the 2009 Mac minis supporting the 64-bit kernel with a 64-bit-EFI? I was hoping this update might enable things, but it didn't make a difference.

Supposedly a 64-bit kernel is only needed to manage more than 32GB of memory. More important is that all of the third party kernel extensions need to be updated to 64-bit first.

What I'm hoping for is that this update enables 8GB on my mini Cool
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huff wrote:

Read this: http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24440 ?
Huff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand, but it still seems like one should have the option with a 64-bit based Mac. I am curious about this update now. What support was really added? Apple hasn't changed the specs or added new memory BTO options. What would they be improving compatibility for? Confused
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saul wrote:
Huff wrote:

Supposedly a 64-bit kernel is only needed to manage more than 32GB of memory. More important is that all of the third party kernel extensions need to be updated to 64-bit first.

What I'm hoping for is that this update enables 8GB on my mini Cool

EFI is what controls the amount of memory addressed on the mini. This indeed might take us safely past the 4GB mark on the 2009 mini.

If Philipacario is reading this put those 4GBx2 back in and test this please!
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saul wrote:
No SuperDrive update seen. Maybe only certain versions? I know that Apple changes parts sometimes.

I'm still looking into the matter, but that very well could be the reason.

TonyMontana wrote:
If Philipacario is reading this put those 4GBx2 back in and test this please!

I'm also looking into this one.

Smile
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: update EFI firmware Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
saul wrote:
James T Kirk wrote:

Yeah, that appears to be the case. Did the SuperDrive Firmware Update 3.0 also show up for you? I'm not seeing anything on our 2009 Mac mini with a clean install of Snow Leopard.

The SuperDrive update didn't appear for me either in software update. SU just misses things every now and again for no apparent reason.

Keep us posted on the memory! I might give the boys at OWC a email tomorrow to see if they can test this ( as I don't seem to have $600 laying around )

Wink
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Superdrive firmware update was a strange one. First I have done before on a Mac. I think that was only the second or third EFI update ever on the Mini's.
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: update EFI firmware Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
Keep us posted on the memory! I might give the boys at OWC a email tomorrow to see if they can test this ( as I don't seem to have $600 laying around )

I already have an email into our contact at OWC. Smile
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: update EFI firmware Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
TonyMontana wrote:

I already have an email into our contact at OWC. Smile

Well my friend...it seems great minds think alike!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: