123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple to Ship Mac OS X Snow Leopard on August 28th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LE Studios

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I get my Snow Leopard Monday! I checked my UPS tracking number and it came in tonight so it should be delivered Monday afternoon. Very Happy
fiat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LE Studios wrote:
Actually you the first I came across with that problem and with a 2009 Mac mini like mine too. You bee good when you get the replacement. Smile

OK, I am starting to wonder how long the installer would take to make the SL update: 45 min? 1 hr? 1 hr 30 min? or 2 hr? When I started the installer to install, it says: '45 min remaining...' and then it changes to: '1 hr 30 min remaining...' and then the blue progress bar starts growing slowly. When the estimated remaining time down to 1 hr 21 min, the blue bar stops and the remaining time stays 1 hr 21 min for maybe 20 min or more. At that point, I decided it won't go further, so I 'quit' it and all was back to Leopard. After an Apple support made a thorough check on my new mini and re-run the installer, it just took about 10 min after the blue bar stopped for the apple tech to claim the disk was faulty.

My question now is: should I wait a bit longer when the blue bar hangs? Did anyone experience this that there is a long period of time that the blue bar just hangs and then starts to run again and eventually complete the installation? Please share your experience in terms of installation process and timing. Thanks
LE Studios

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat wrote:
LE Studios wrote:
Actually you the first I came across with that problem and with a 2009 Mac mini like mine too. You bee good when you get the replacement. Smile

OK, I am starting to wonder how long the installer would take to make the SL update: 45 min? 1 hr? 1 hr 30 min? or 2 hr? When I started the installer to install, it says: '45 min remaining...' and then it changes to: '1 hr 30 min remaining...' and then the blue progress bar starts growing slowly. When the estimated remaining time down to 1 hr 21 min, the blue bar stops and the remaining time stays 1 hr 21 min for maybe 20 min or more. At that point, I decided it won't go further, so I 'quit' it and all was back to Leopard. After an Apple support made a thorough check on my new mini and re-run the installer, it just took about 10 min after the blue bar stopped for the apple tech to claim the disk was faulty.

My question now is: should I wait a bit longer when the blue bar hangs? Did anyone experience this that there is a long period of time that the blue bar just hangs and then starts to run again and eventually complete the installation? Please share your experience in terms of installation process and timing. Thanks

What Mac you have what's your current specs and did you upgrade it or did Apple did? You the only one with these problems so far I read, so I want to see what make your system so different did you replace the hard drive?
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....ok, so on the upgrade rebate disks, I finally go e-mails from Apple, one yesterday and one today, which means I should get the first on Tuesday and second disk either Wednesday or Thursday maybe.
fiat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LE Studios wrote:
What Mac you have what's your current specs and did you upgrade it or did Apple did? You the only one with these problems so far I read, so I want to see what make your system so different did you replace the hard drive?

I have a new 2009 Mac mini with the stock 2 gb RAM and stock 320 gb HD. The OSX was upgraded from 10.5.6 to now 10.5.8; everything is running very smoothly and an external 1 TB Seagate has been set to TM backup every week. I believe my system is in no any difference from a standard latest model of mac mini.

So, it seems to be true that the disk is faulty as no one has experienced a long hang during the installation process without any warning or error message? Hope I correctly took Apple Tech's conclusion that the disk I received from MacMall is faulty. Anyway, the package was kind of strange that the packaging box size was way out of proportion: so big that the flimsy small SL box can fly in all directions inside if no air bubble in it. (Anyone received his/her overnight shipping SL from MacMall? Any problem to install your SL? I hope this does not happen to anyone else, but just like to check if I am the only unlucky guy)
fiat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

myself wrote:
Hope I correctly took Apple Tech's conclusion that the disk I received from MacMall is faulty....

Now I downloaded the SL installation manual from apple.com and post the install steps below:

Upgrading Mac OS X
Follow these easy steps to upgrade to Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
1 Insert the Mac OS X installation disc.
2 Double-click the Install Mac OS X icon.
The Welcome pane appears, followed by the License Agreement. Read and agree to the software license agreement.
3 In the pane where you select a disk, select your current Mac OS X disk (in most cases, it will be the only one available).
4 Click Customize to select or deselect optional software. You can customize some of the software that will be installed, such as printer drivers, fonts, and language translations. In the Custom Install pane, select the software you want to install, and then click OK.
Note: If you see a message that you don’t have enough disk space to install Mac OS X, you can deselect items to save space.
5 Click Install.
To quit any open applications and start the installation, click Install in the message that appears. When prompted, enter your administrator password.

Now I remember when I tried MacMall's SL disk three times, the installer never gave me a chance to make step 4. At step 3, it just showed my internal HD; not even let me choose it. And there are only two buttons: 'Back' and 'install'. So I click install and it start and then stop! The apple support did ask me to look at the disk and find "who made the disk?" I couldn't find that info on the disk; the only info I saw on the disk: "designed by Apple inc., California" I think the apple tech was suspecting that there maybe duplicated SL disk out in the market and they are not the copy of the final release. But then, how could MacMall be possible to sell these pirate disks? Just wonder?
LE Studios

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat wrote:
myself wrote:
Hope I correctly took Apple Tech's conclusion that the disk I received from MacMall is faulty....

Now I downloaded the SL installation manual from apple.com and post the install steps below:

Upgrading Mac OS X
Follow these easy steps to upgrade to Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
1 Insert the Mac OS X installation disc.
2 Double-click the Install Mac OS X icon.
The Welcome pane appears, followed by the License Agreement. Read and agree to the software license agreement.
3 In the pane where you select a disk, select your current Mac OS X disk (in most cases, it will be the only one available).
4 Click Customize to select or deselect optional software. You can customize some of the software that will be installed, such as printer drivers, fonts, and language translations. In the Custom Install pane, select the software you want to install, and then click OK.
Note: If you see a message that you don’t have enough disk space to install Mac OS X, you can deselect items to save space.
5 Click Install.
To quit any open applications and start the installation, click Install in the message that appears. When prompted, enter your administrator password.

Now I remember when I tried MacMall's SL disk three times, the installer never gave me a chance to make step 4. At step 3, it just showed my internal HD; not even let me choose it. And there are only two buttons: 'Back' and 'install'. So I click install and it start and then stop! The apple support did ask me to look at the disk and find "who made the disk?" I couldn't find that info on the disk; the only info I saw on the disk: "designed by Apple inc., California" I think the apple tech was suspecting that there maybe duplicated SL disk out in the market and they are not the copy of the final release. But then, how could MacMall be possible to sell these pirate disks? Just wonder?

Yeah we going to rule that out as defective disc. Just everybody else is working I won't see what you suppose to see today if tomorrow.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.... who was the bright spark at Apple that suggested that a butt-load of DVD-ROMs should be mailed on a Friday? Rolling Eyes
LE Studios

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
So.... who was the bright spark at Apple that suggested that a butt-load of DVD-ROMs should be mailed on a Friday? Rolling Eyes

They like launching major products on a Friday.
LE Studios

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that make the wait for Snow Leopard easier! Cool

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=328130394&s=143441
Fazzy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LE Studios wrote:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=328130394&s=143441

Did you get yours? I got mine around 5:30.
LE Studios

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LE Studios wrote:
Cool, I get my Snow Leopard Tuesdayy! I checked my UPS tracking number and it came in tonight so it should be delivered Tuesday afternoon. Very Happy

LE Studios

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazzy wrote:
LE Studios wrote:

Did you get yours? I got mine around 5:30.

Naw it's tomorrow I got a long day ahead of me tomorrow. Plus I should get mine about 5:30pm as well.
Fazzy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LE Studios wrote:
Naw it's tomorrow I got a long day ahead of me tomorrow. Plus I should get mine about 5:30pm as well.

You better get a bunch of rest tonight. That 29 minute install is a backbreaker. Wink
FishKepr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:

Pre-orders shipped on Thursday. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: