123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.4.3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safari and Spotlight seem a tad snappier. I'm glad it didn't break anything. Knock on mini!!!!
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
caulktel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have Toast updated to 7.01. Not sure what happened, but I haven't made a coaster in a long time yet I made two tonight. I will try something else later.
Wizard51

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: 10.4.3 is out!!!! Reply with quote

kadronarxis wrote:
Go get it lads!!!!

...and the recently delivered mini has it loaded fresh from the factory. I haven't a clue what the difference is, but I have it.
slickrick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I repaired the disk permissions after updating to 4.3 and got one hell of a long list. Shocked
poisonfist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andp wrote:
Any changes with DVD playback in Front Row? I took it off my mini.

Edit - I just read that Front Row is broke with 10.4.3! Is that true?

Yeah, but there's already a fix out there.

To enable DVD playback in FR, you need the DVD player 4.6.2. There seems to be a V 5.1 of FR out there now which includes the DVD player.

328i sport package
Jennings

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slickrick wrote:
I repaired the disk permissions after updating to 4.3 and got one hell of a long list. Shocked

Is it necessary to repair the disk permissions after you upgrade to 10.4.3 or any other point release?
kadronarxis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general,

finder is a lot quicker.
Safari is a lot quicker.
Games (Myst V and Raven shield) play a lot quicker.

Mail is quick enough.

Ethernet port (adsl mainly)show that packets move more easily than before.

System is breathing better than 10.4.2.(memory issues)

I think temperature of cpu has gone up, but im not sure.It needs more testing.

This update makes tiger look like a real tiger!!!!

Enjoy!
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slickrick wrote:

The list of "special permissions" is longer after you update to 10.4.3. You'll see the same list every time you repair permissions.

Smile

Jamie
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennings wrote:
Is it necessary to repair the disk permissions after you upgrade to 10.4.3 or any other point release?

Yes, it is necessary.

No, it's completely unnecessary.

Personally, I repair permissions before and after any update. I figure it can't hurt.

Smile

Jamie
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:

Personally, I repair permissions before and after any update. I figure it can't hurt.

Me too! Everything still appears to be running fine this morning. I must have caught download fever last night. I usually try to give updates a day or to before downloading them. But I'm glad that 10.4.2 is behind us now. I was having some trouble with Spotlight and Mail.
SuperGLS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This upgrade won't interfere with anything that I have installed, would it?

(Mainly the DoubleCommand that I got to make Home and End like the Windows Home and End?)

Sorry for the newb question, I'll do the upgrade tonight.
warlock

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this MASSIVE list when i did a permision repair...done it 3 times now and i'm still gettin em...is it correct? Take it easy, Warlock

Repairing permissions for “Robs Computer”
Determining correct file permissions.
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/MacOS/Dictionary. New permissions are 33261
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTracker.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/MacOS/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin. New permissions are 33261
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/parser.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/Stickies.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/UnitConverter.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/parser.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets. New permissions are 16877
We are using a special gid for the file or directory ./System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock. New gid is 0
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock. New permissions are 33261
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/Makefile.global. New permissions are 33060
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/acinclude.m4. New permissions are 33060
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/mkdep.awk. New permissions are 33060
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/phpize.m4. New permissions are 33060
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/scan_makefile_in.awk. New permissions are 33060

Permissions repair complete
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warlock wrote:
I got this MASSIVE list when i did a permision repair...done it 3 times now and i'm still gettin em...is it correct?

They are "special permissions" and you'll see this same message every time you repair permissions. There are more "special permissions" in 10.4.3 than there were in 10.4.2.
warlock

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks picaman..i know it's a daft question but what's the difference between special permissions and..erm..normal ones?
Take it easy, warlock
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperGLS wrote:
This upgrade won't interfere with anything that I have installed, would it?

(Mainly the DoubleCommand that I got to make Home and End like the Windows Home and End?)

Sorry for the newb question, I'll do the upgrade tonight.

Here's a great list I stole from a post on another site:

For those that look at some of these posts and think they should wait, think about your system.

Have you downloaded a few hacks, haxies or enhancers for Safari, Mail, Addressbook, etc?

Are you using apps that skin or change the base look of your windows?

Have you downloaded pirated or hacked or borrowed software?

Have you shuffled the placement of the core apps that come with the OS?

Are you using maintenance apps that clean your cache, logs, etc?

Do you have a lot of apps starting up at log in that aren't base apps?

If so, either disable, trash or rearrange your system to the more standard setup. Then load these things back into the system after the update to see if they work or cause problems. It is probably pretty rare that the core apps and OS will cause any problems.

You're not updating every haxie on your machine--you're updating just the system software. I think it's good practice to get as close to a regular OS install as possible before updating.

Smile

Jamie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: