123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Update to Address Screen Flickering....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Apple Releases Update to Address Screen Flickering.... Reply with quote

Apple Releases Update to Address Screen Flickering on 27" iMacs
Monday December 21, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

Apple has released the 27-inch iMac Graphics Firmware Update 1.0 via their Software Update utility and website. According to the company, this update applies to the graphics firmware on ATI Radeon HD 4670 and 4850 graphics cards to address issues that may cause image corruption or the display to flicker. More information about this update can be found here. The 27-inch iMac Graphics Firmware Update 1.0 weighs in at 683 KB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.2.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1406.html
epic_ed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I have a feeling that this isn't the last we'll hear about this issue? Neutral
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it looks like the iMac 27 inch wasn't quite ready for prime time. Between these display issues and packing/shipping issues to protect the screen, it seems Apple rushed this a bit to get to market. Best to wait until spring for a 27 inch iMac. By then all the bugs should be ironed out.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
helicoil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: 27" iMac display problems Reply with quote

I've got a user that ordered one of these, it turned up a couple of days ago and whilst I was setting it up it started exhibiting these display issues.
I got intouch with Apple and jumped through their hoops (which consisted of reset pram, start with shift key down and fix permissions), now I've got to suck it and see... -seemed ok yesterday after running for about 8hrs (previously it started flickering after about an hour).
Looks like I'll be installing this update aswell so I'll let you know Wink
Orange Micro Terror
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully this will help those of you out there with the flickering. But like MacDSmith2 said, it's probably best to wait until spring if you are in in the market for one. I don't think it's ever been a super smart idea to go out and buy a revision A-type iMac. I've been there, done that and suffered myself.
iLife's a Bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: