123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monoprice Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter with USB Audio
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twang

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the advantages/disadvantages of this instead of using toslink, aside from the 1 cable instead of 2?

Can one support formats the other can't?
Does one give better quality?
Can toslink support 7.1 while this usb adapter only supports 5.1?

Thanks.
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine the USB version will require switching the Mac audio back and forth. I think the digital out tied into the min-display port into an HDMI would act just as if Apple had ran the digital audio out to the mini-display port to begin with. If anyone has a different opinion, feel free...
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
I imagine the USB version will require switching the Mac audio back and forth. I think the digital out tied into the min-display port into an HDMI would act just as if Apple had ran the digital audio out to the mini-display port to begin with. If anyone has a different opinion, feel free...

You are pretty much correct. I use SoundSource to assist with the audio switching. Reason I want this is I want two audio outputs out of the Mini. One to the tv when I just want normal sound out of the tv for basic shows or just playing around with the Mini. And one to the receiver when I want full sound. I currently run digital audio out to the receiver and of course have to turn on the receiver anytime I need sound. With this, I can opt to not use the receiver. I have a similar set-up with the Mini in the bedroom, but used a Griffin iMic there. I figured I'd give this new device a try and eliminate a cable at the same time.
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
jayhawk785

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had monoprice verify dts would be supported, since their original specification page only said DD. I can't imagine why it wouldn't have worked, but wanted to be sure before buying.

toslink doesn't have the bandwidth to support LPCM or 7.1 channel bitstream (dont think that exists in a particular format anyway).

This adapter may unlock the ability to send LPCM over hdmi to your receiver, and allow it to decode TRUEHD and DTSMA if they started packing into an MKV (lets hope this happens and is possible Smile)

Mine should be here next week... I ordered, because I have to run HDMI direct to TV for picture, and optical to the receiver. My receiver doesn't support audio source switching with HDMI (pioneer elite 92txh--hopefully getting a pre/pro soon that would anyway).
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received this adaptor a couple of days ago and finally got it working. It is supposed to be plug-and-play, but its not that simple, and unfortunately it doesn't come with any instructions.

I disconnected my mini dvi - hdmi connector and connected this. I ended up with a black screen and no audio. I then fumbled with it for a few minutes connecting it and disconnecting it and restarting the Mini, with no change in the results. The red light did come on on this connector, but since it didn't come with directions, I wasn't sure what that means. I didn't know if it was always red or if it was red when it was experiencing a problem and green if all was well.

Figuring it was a resolution issue causing this problem, I tried to screen share from my MacBook as I have done in the past for various reasons. This is when I found out the hard way that there is a bug in Screen Share in Snow Leopard. Half an hour and some fumbling with Screen Share on the MacBook and I was back in business controlling the Mini from the MacBook.

The Mini recognized this connector as both an audio and video device, but still I had no audio or video going to the tv. I started switching to different resolutions with no response. Finally when I got to the 'tv resolutions' (480i, 720i, and 1080i - couldn't get it to work with 1080p) did I get video and audio going to the tv. I'm using 720i right now as this works better to make fonts bigger. 1080i works as well but fonts are too small 10 feet away on the couch. I wasn't able to get any other resolution to work. And this did nothing to make other resolutions available or to allow the Mini to use the full resolution of the tv (I've played with SwitchResX, but haven't had any luck getting a better resolution on my Toshiba tv).

All in all it works as it should, but it would be nice if it came with some directions, at least to explain the meaning of the red led. It also seems to be particular with what resolutions it likes, but this may be caused by my tv and not this connector.
Benyth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem. I hooked it up and it worked fine at 1080P, but when I changed the resolution to 720P, the screen whet blank and I haven't been able to get it back.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benyth wrote:
I had a similar problem. I hooked it up and it worked fine at 1080P, but when I changed the resolution to 720P, the screen whet blank and I haven't been able to get it back.

If you have another Mac available and have screen sharing set up on the Mini, you can control it from the other machine. If not, try connecting it with a different connector or to a different monitor so you're at least able to see whats going on. If none of those are available, try booting in SafeMode.

Good luck!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: