123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

do i really need to be unplugging all the time? monitor/TV?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerale

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: do i really need to be unplugging all the time? monitor/TV? Reply with quote

hi there,

i'm the happy owner of mac mini 1.83 Hz Intel Core 2 Duo. i'm just looking to tweak my system a bit. at http://www.gingerpop.com/stuff/diagram.gif is a diagram of what i have. as you can see, i have one CRT monitor that i share between the mini and my G4 with the help of a KVM switch. when i want to use my mini as an HTPC, i have to unplug the monitor cable from the back of the mini and plug in a DVI/S-video connection out to my TV. does anyone think that i can just put some sort of splitter coming out of the back of my mini DVI port? it would be so much more convenient to just flip a switch than to unplug and plug. am i missing some simple solution?

thanks,
heather
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think an easy solution would be another KVM on the back of the mini. Or even something like this splitter. I would imagine that you would have to make sure that only one display was on at a time.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
gingerale

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. i will give it a try and cross my fingers that the solution is this easy and cheap. any opinions on this fact at the bottom of the product page for the splitter? i do have 2 computers in my network, and wonder about this "reverse signal flow."
heather

"Video Splitter - DVI-D Male to DVI-D Female X 2
Question: Can I use this splitter to connect two source devices to one input on my display so that I don't have to keep plugging and unplugging my cables?
Answer: NO! Using a splitter to connect two source devices to one display will overload and damage your equipment. Even if one source is on at a time, you will still create a reverse signal flow that will damage your devices circuits.

Please use a switch for connecting multiple sources to single inputs."
wulauki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: http://www.123macmini.com/forums/posting.php?mode=reply& Reply with quote

I would agree just get another KVM and attach it to the mini.

or

you could go the VNC route, but this is really dependant upon what you use on the G4. As the VNC screen refresh is not as reliable as an actual connection to a monitor.

remove the VGA connection from the G4.
Setup Remote Desktop access on the G4.
Install JollyfastVNC or Chicken of the VNC on the mini.
Move the KVM that was attached to the (mini/G4 and Viewsonic) and connect it to the (Viewsonic/TV to the mini)

Whenever you need to use the G4 open your VNC client (jollyfast or chicken) and connect to the G4's Remote Desktop.
gingerale

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do get a lot of use out of the G4 for all sorts of stuff, so the VNC route doesn't sound like it's for me.

here's the thing i don't get about the KVM switch - the trendnet model i have only has a connection for 1 monitor (diagram at http://www.trendnet.com/image/products/diagram/TK-207K.gif). i have 2 inputs that i have to plug and unplug into the mini - 1) TV and 2) monitor.

i searched newegg.com for KVM switches with 2 monitor connections and was directed to this splitter - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817107462.

is this the type of product i am looking for?

thanks,

heather
gingerale

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i decided to try the splitter from monoprice. will let you know how it works.

- h
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should work since you will only be connecting it to the mini, and then from the splitter to the KVM and to the S-Video adapter. I don't see where you would need to worry about reverse flow.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
gingerale

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so this solution didn't work out. the product from monoprice did not fit. in the photo below, the splitter from monoprice is on the left, and my connection out to the TV is on the right:
http://www.gingerpop.com/stuff/splitter.jpg

monoprice tech support wrote back the following:

Heather,

Unfortunately at this time we do not carry a solution through dvi. The only way this will be possible will be through HDMI. Meaning using a dvi to hdmi cable/adapter and using an HDMI splitter. The cable (mac) is a dvi-I single  link as opposed to the adapter is a dual link. I have attached a quick guide on these connectors to help you better understand, Please let me know if there is anything else I may assist you with. Thank you!

http://images.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/26884.jpg

I hope I've answered your question completely and clearly.
Please contact me if I can be of further assistance. We appreciate your business.

Best Regards,

René Escamilla
Tech Support

so.... don't try this at home. any more suggestions are welcome. the splitter was quite cheap, btw.

heather
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: