123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros 2TB Time Capsule
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Apple Intros 2TB Time Capsule Reply with quote

Apple Intros 2TB Time Capsule
Thursday, July 30, 2009
Posted by: Kenan H

Apple quietly updated their Time Capsule lineup this morning. The Time Capsule combines a simultaneous dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi base station and server-grade hard disk for automatic wireless back-up with Time Machine. It also features Gigabit Ethernet and a USB port for connecting printers and hard drives to the base station. The Time Capsule is available now in two configurations, a 2TB model for $499 and a 1TB model for $299. The 500GB Time Capsule has been discontinued from the product line.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1273.html
imola.zhp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grrrr...

I was going to pull the trigger on a 500gb model a few days ago, ended up just getting a Segate FreeAgent for Mac 250gb for $98 shipped.

*heads to the apple store to see if any 500gb are on clearance*

EDIT: Nope, but they do have a refurb 500gb for $199 and a refurb 1tb for $399, I think they'll have a hard time selling that 1tb refurb for $100 more than you can buy a new 1tb for...

Contemplating my latest purchase, still haven't used it yet as I still have not received my mac mini back. Maybe they'll call this morning, I can go get it this afternoon and score a new 500gb from the actual store cheap.

*goes to review return policy from Segate's website*

Current
32g iPhone4; 13" MBP 2.4/4g Ram/250g hd; 1TB TC; 2 ATV2's; Airport Express

Previous
8g iPhone Edge; 32g iPhone 3gS
8g iPod Nano (2nd); 16g iPod Nano (6th)
Mini 2.0/4g Ram/120g hd

Last edited by imola.zhp on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking at the 500GB refurbs myself. I would like to get a Time Capsule now since I have a MacBook Air in addition to the Mac mini. I think for another $100 I would rather have the 1TB model though.
imola.zhp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ good point, I'm thinking, however, that they have not yet adjusted their refurb prices. So we might see the refurb 500gb model drop in price some more, and the refurb 1tb should drop too. It currently says "$80 savings" or something to that effect, so I would guess the refurb 1tb should come down to $219 and who knows how cheap that will make the 500gb refurb, if any are left at that point. They might wait to trop the 1tb until after the 500gb's are all sold...

Current

Previous
Mini 2.0/4g Ram/120g hd
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also keep an eye out on Amazon and MacMall. They have a habit of dumping stuff out now after updates. These would also be new units.
iLife's a Bitch!
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imola.zhp wrote:
^ good point, I'm thinking, however, that they have not yet adjusted their refurb prices. So we might see the refurb 500gb model drop in price some more, and the refurb 1tb should drop too.

I was thinking that as well. I'm just going to give it a little time to see how things play out. I'm in no giant rush here.
imola.zhp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I kinda was and jumped on that Free Agent for Mac 250gb on sale for $89 down from $129, now I'm regretting that purchase. I had my mini back for 36 hours and it died again, same thing happened, so I jumped on that Free Agent thinking my mini would be done today and I could back it up tonight before it (potentially) died again. Got the call a few minutes ago, still having problems with my mini, now we're waiting on more parts...

My router is an old Dell wireless "g" while I don't currently have anything that runs on "n" I'm sure I will eventually, the time capsule kills two birds with one stone (back up and wireless router).

hmmmmmmm, what to do, what to do, I think I'll still stop by the Apple Store on the way home just to see if they do have any 500gb units on clearance. If it comes down to it, I could sell that Free Agent on ebay...

----

Thanks for that info g5g5, I'll keep an eye on that too. I don't have my 120gb hard drive full (still almost 25gb of room left) thats why I went with the 250gb Free Agent, if I can score a 500gb time capsule on the cheap it should last me quite some time...

Current

Previous
Mini 2.0/4g Ram/120g hd
jrt1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Time Capsule is a decent product, but I really wish Apple would add iTunes, AFP backup, and internet sharing to the thing. Make it more like a home server.
LE Studios

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need two 2TB Time Capsules. I'm using two 2TB Western Digital Hard Drives now. One, is for iTunes and the second is for Time Machine that backup everything on the Mac mini and the first 2TB Hard Drive every hour since I got these in November. I wanted a secondary backup I would like to use Time Capsule to duplicate the 2nd WD 2TB. The 2nd 2TB Time Capsule I use to backup the Mac mini and MacBook Pro 17" (maybe with WD 2.5" 1TB) I will have later in a month or so. This I'm happy is another reason I cannot go back to PC with Apple they made this so easy to work together seamlessly. Very Happy
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want two 2TB Time Capsules LE? Wow, that's an expensive proposition. Why don't you just buy one and use another external hard drive with AirDisk? You can buy a 2TB Seagate FreeAgent Desk for like around $200. That would save you a nice little chunk of money.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I would also keep an eye out on Amazon and MacMall. They have a habit of dumping stuff out now after updates. These would also be new units.

Best Buy is also using their Ebay Outlet store a lot these days. ...so might as well look there too. I got a wireless mighty mouse and Apple keyboard for about $45 the other day. The keyboard still had original shrink wrap and everything, the box had just been opened. They shipped fast too.

Here's the link:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Best-Buy-Outlet-Store__W0QQ_armrsZ1
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
Best Buy is also using their Ebay Outlet store a lot these days. ...so might as well look there too. I got a wireless mighty mouse and Apple keyboard for about $45 the other day. The keyboard still had original shrink wrap and everything, the box had just been opened. They shipped fast too.

Good deal! I wasn't really aware of their store on eBay. It looks like they have a nice selection of Apple gear, including a bunch of 500GB Time Capsules.
iLife's a Bitch!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just might buy a 500GB refurb after things play out. I had one when they first came out, but returned it with some overheating concerns. I really want a dual-band router badly now, so I might be willing to give another one a shot. And it doesn't seem like there are a ton of failures out there. At least not that I've heard about.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I had one when they first came out, but returned it with some overheating concerns.

Yeah, that one still has me perplexed! It doesn't hold your ice cream or anything, who cares how hot it gets as long as it works?

My 2 Cents....

BTW, I'll be checking out a 2TB unit shortly myself....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Yeah, that one still has me perplexed! It doesn't hold your ice cream or anything, who cares how hot it gets as long as it works?

I didn't think the last one would last three months running that warm. It might have been unique to that unit though. I was also impatient and didn't feel like messing around at the time. But like I said before, I'm willing to give another one a try now. Plus, the initial backup with Snow Leopard is supposed to be like 50 percent faster. That means there is less time for it to ignite and catch on fire. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: