123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XP Connected To OS X?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: XP Connected To OS X? Reply with quote

I'm about to buy a spare computer running XP. I want a spare computer. That is why I am not buying the XP operating system and then installing it on the Mac Book.

The computer will be either a Dell Mini 10V or the HP Mini 110. Neither has a disc drive. Is there a simple way to connect the XP computer to the Mac Book and utilize the disc drive? There are a couple of programs that I want to load onto the XP machine that are specific to Windows. I bought them for my older computer that also used XP.

I've never used WiFi but both computers will have such capabilities.

The Dell comes with a backup disc and the HP comes with a usb thumb drive with the restore information. Would either one of those let me load XP on the Mac Book running Bootcamp?

I've narrowed the Netbook field down to these two brands because they seem to be built better than the other Chinese brands. Just look at the feedback on Amazon or any other computer sales site to understand my reasoning.

Both of these models use the same chips and graphics cards which have been proven to work very well running OS X. If I choose to make a Hackintosh these will be very suitable for that purpose.

Smallwheels
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Thread Deleted At Apple Support Forum. How Petty! Reply with quote

Thread Deleted At Apple Support Forum. How Petty!

I asked how to create a network that would allow me to use the Mac Book disc drive with a netbook running XP. A couple of knowledgeable posters answered the question about how to do it.

The conversation then went to netbooks. It was started by a different person who mentioned that netbooks are cheap and can't be considered good for computing. Another person had a strong disagreement and wrote that netbooks do a very good job of computing. He wrote that netbooks made today were as good at processing as not too old Apple computers. He gave examples of what he can do on his netbooks.

Then someone wrote that many netbooks can run OS X. I chimed in writing that I've seen videos on Youtube of several people who were using OS X on netbooks with everything working but the audio out jacks. Other people wrote that there were solutions for things not working on netbooks running OS X.

I wrote that any netbook using the 1.6 Atom processor with the GMA 950 graphics chip were recognized by OS X as Mac Book Airs. I learned this on a Youtube video.

Shortly after my post and a couple of others Apple pulled the thread and cited my original post as the post that violated their terms of service. That was not true. I just wanted to know how to make a network so my future netbook could use the Mac Book DVD/CD drive.

Why would Apple kill the thread? Nobody was suggesting that others convert netbooks into machines running OS X. We were just writing about what others had done. I had no intention of converting my future computer to OS X. I need a Windows machine to run other programs and to keep as a backup.

If Apple brags about how their new software can work with Microsoft Exchange Servers, read Word, Excel, run Windows in Bootcamp, and numerous cross platform applications, why would they kill a thread about someone wanting to create a network between a Mac and a Windows computer?

I think that such an action was extremely petty! I no longer admire the Apple Computer company as much as I did before this incident. Their forum's terms of service is really petty too. They won't let anybody have links to their own business sites in signatures unless it goes to something that is answering a question in the topic of the thread. No outside vender links either.

I didn't realize the company was so afraid of competition. It's not like Microsoft is flooding their boards with spam. I haven't seen people bashing Apple computers or promoting other brands there. I've only visited the site rarely and the thread I started was my first one.

This experience has given me a bad feeling. I wasn't really married to the idea of only using Apple software and computers but I was really going to look at Apple first for new computers. Now I'm thinking that it might be worth the effort to learn Linux. Many people on this forum use Linux and seem to love it.

Open source might be the way to go in the future. By the time my almost new Mac Book wears out and my new HP computer (on order) wears out, the open source programs and integration might be just as good as what I have running today. Honestly what I have today is almost perfect for my needs. With a few tweaks and more cross platform video streaming capabilities I'll be set for anything I need to do.

Apple might not get my business next time.

Smallwheels
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: