123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got a MacBook!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Got a MacBook! Reply with quote

Some of you may remember me from a while back. I still have my good ol' G4 Mac Mini and it's still is chugging along with a so much as a hiccup, but I finally was able to upgrade to the MacBook! Got it from the Apple Refurb store for $750+tax. It's a White MacBook with a 2.0ghz processor, 2gb RAM, 120Gb HD, SuperDrive and is running the Leopard OS. Really happy with it so far. That is when I can get my wife away from it! I may have to just let her keep it and get my self one of the 13" New MacBook Pros! Wink
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name sort of rings a bell. Wink

Congrats man! I was going to buy one of the new 13" MacBook Pros later this summer, but then I got a free Dell to use for the next year. I still want one, but I'm going to take advantage of this and save some money. Can you really blame me in this economy?

Funny you should bring up the other half. I had the same thing happen with my wife when I bought a netbook. Well, guess who has the netbook now? Smile
iLife's a Bitch!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! I got MatteBook Pro back at the end of 2008. I still use my Mac mini all the time, but it's nice having a portable machine to kick back with on a chair or something. It sounds like you got a good deal on the white MacBook. I'm going to buy one for my wife later in the fall or maybe even a refurbished MacBook Air. She's finally looking to switch to the Mac. I think all the troubles with Vista and Picasa coming over to the Mac (she's a big fan and user) were the tipping point. Plus, she can always run Windows (7 by that point) on the thing.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife isn't a really that computer literate and she hated going down to the basement just to go on the computer so I was able to talk her into getting this Macbook. She still has a lot to learn but she's getting there.

When we got this MacBook I started playing around with the Idea of putting Windows on it since I occasionally need it for my work and the Macbook is so much easer to fire up and use then the HP I have from work. I downloaded Sun's VirtualBox (free) and got the Windows 7 beta and install them on this thing. I was amazed at how fast and easy it was and for the few times I have needed it for work it has worked flawlessly. I also installed Ubuntu so I could play around with that too.

The one thing that I think I need is more HD space on this thing. I saw a 500gb laptop drive running at 7200rpm for $129! Very tempted to drop that into the thing.
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mr. MacGoo,

Nice to see you back for a visit. Great price on the Macbook.

Wow primary computer in the basement. The laptop on the main level must be a huge treat. I've actually forgone with my dining room to have my computer set-up in the most convenient place possible. I like to use it while watching TV, cooking, whatever. Easy to get away with, when you are a bachelor. Smile

Nice to see your wife is enjoying the Macbook. My girlfriend loves my Mac, she jumps on it as soon as she walks in the door. I've been trying to get her to buy a Mac for her house, but she's pretty tight with her money. The PC causes her headaches but we live with it for now.
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been a while since I've seen a post from you Louie. Congrats on the MacBook there great machines.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figure I'd chime in and make this a 123mm alumni reunion thread. Smile

Macbook's (in all their various iterations) have been great machines...I should know, I've owned almost every one. Smile virtualbox has long been my virtualization software of choice. Great vm portability between all support host OS's. The only reason I don't use it exclusively is that I have some work vm's that are only supported (and, literally, will only work) under vmware.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: