123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to open the LaCie mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: How to open the LaCie mini Reply with quote

How to open the LaCie mini
Saturday October 1, 2005

A member of our forums has posted some pictures and information on how to open a LaCie mini. To start, lay your LaCie mini upside down. There are four rubber feet on the bottom of the LaCie mini. Simply remove the rubber feet by hand. You may need to use a little blade or small Flathead screwdriver to get them started. Underneath the rubber pads you will find four screws. Unscrew the screws with a Phillips screwdriver. The top and bottom of the LaCie mini are basically sandwiched together with the screws. Once you remove the screws the to halves will come apart.

Next, unplug the LaCie mini's front LED wire from the circuit board. This allows you to move the aluminum base out of the way.

You will now be able to access the LaCie mini's 3.5" hard drive. The hard drive itself is connected to the top of the LaCie mini. To remove the hard drive you will need to disconnect the power and ATA cables. Then unscrew the screws on the sides of the drive to remove it. You can now replace the hard drive and put everything back together in reverse order. It should be noted that opening the LaCie mini voids its warranty.

We would like to thank Mick-j for the pictures and information.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/367.html
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad this has been noted. We don't want another Nano screen issue on our hands.

Now if only LaCie would offer just that case and extra firewire ports. Then we would have a clear winner in the "Best" external hard drive for the mini war.

Oops, I forgot about the power switch, that seems to get pushed inside the unit... at least we know how to get it back out, now.

Too bad we void our warranty in doing so.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always love looking at pictures of stuff ripped open! Very Happy How many people are having problems with the power button?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I always love looking at pictures of stuff ripped open! Very Happy How many people are having problems with the power button?

Maybe we should start a poll. The power button issue could be blown out of proportion.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:

I replaced the Hitachi 80 Gb/7200rpm/2mb drive with it's bigger brother. a Deskstar 160 Gb/7200/8mb. The only problem seemed to be the power plug in the hard drive. It took some silicone spray to get it out (Hitachi might have a narrow opening for this) I don't have much problems with the button, though it is quite small and hard to detect from behind. They should have put it at the same position and size as the mini)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: