123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iPhone 3Gs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: iPhone 3Gs Reply with quote

Got my iPhone 3Gs in the Mail today. Sweet!

Looks just like my 3G, but I guess there's no surprises there. Video looks pretty nice, compass seems a little wonky at times, cut and paste works great.

Now if TomTom would release their app, that's what I've been waiting for for a long time now. The 'accessory' thing you can get to hold it actually looks pretty good, but it depends on how many organs they expect you to sell for it...

Off to the store to get an invisa-shield and a new case...
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: iPhone 3Gs Reply with quote

Aargh-a-Knot wrote:
it depends on how many organs they expect you to sell for it...

If they are Devo's organs probably quite a few Wink

Great you got your new phone. The Tom Tom app is going to be huge. I wonder what Tom Tom's business plan like. I'm sure they will do well. Perhaps they don't make a lot of money off the hardware anyhow. They may do well selling their larger screen devices, in car nav. etc. because of this. If everyone gets used to their software and they have the best maps to offer. The may end up with a software monopoly.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two 3GS iPhones waiting for me in the hands of UPS. (I had to leave town for a family emergency, so they will have to redeliver on monday)

These are replacing the two 1st gen iPhones I purchased for me and my wife two years ago. I'm really glad I resisted the urge to upgrade to the 3G iPhones. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
I'm really glad I resisted the urge to upgrade to the 3G iPhones. Smile

Me too! I'm jumping on board the 3G s bandwagon myself!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
I've got two 3GS iPhones waiting for me in the hands of UPS. (I had to leave town for a family emergency, so they will have to redeliver on monday)

These are replacing the two 1st gen iPhones I purchased for me and my wife two years ago. I'm really glad I resisted the urge to upgrade to the 3G iPhones. Smile

I wish I had 1/2 your I.T. budget Smile

You always make me jealous Mav.
Texark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping they would dump the 3G altogether. Now they can't upgrade you to a 3G S if something mysteriously breaks on your 3G. Twisted Evil
cheef

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone with a 3GS having noticeable poor battery performance?

The battery is supposed to be better than that of the 3G, but I'm thinking mine's worse by about a third, not better.

Example:

3GS on charge for a solid 12 hours from 18:00-06:15. Removing the charge, the display was indicating 98% remaining battery (strange, right?). When I left home at 07:00, some 45 minutes later, the battery was down to 96% - and I hadn't used it in that time.

By 13:15, having only used it to check and send a couple of text messages, it was down to 53% remaining. It used 47% (well, 45% strictly speaking) in just 7 hours of barely any use.

Do I have a dodgy unit here, or is this normal? I'd hate to think what it'd be like if I put it under any stress. Would it need another charge after just 10 hours of use?!
iMac 27" i5 2.66GHz, 12GB
MacBook Air 11" 1.4GHz, 4GB
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on the battery life of the 3GS but my 3G is using ALOT more battery since the 3.0 update.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
cheef

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
I can't comment on the battery life of the 3GS but my 3G is using ALOT more battery since the 3.0 update.

Yep, I agree on that too. I was using 3.0 on my 3G about a week before release, and definitely noticed an significant decrease in battery on that also.

I find it odd that the 3GS is sold on having better battery performance, but I notice a BIG different... it's not a small difference, it's instantly noticable.

I'm just wondering whether the battery needs time, and needs 'conditioning' or something.

Really I'm just asking around to see whether anyone else is in the same boat.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read disabling push notifications helps a bit. Turn down the screen brightness a bit to squeeze out a bit more time.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I wish I had 1/2 your I.T. budget Smile

You always make me jealous Mav.

Somebody's got to be "that guy" I guess.

You should see my keyboard collection! Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cheef

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, I knew this would come up and I actually removed my line on that particular subject on my post above! Smile

And here's why:

I've had the first generation iPhone and also the iPhone 3G. On both of these phones, I've always had brightness set to 100% and on the iPhone 3G I always had push enabled for Mobile Me.

So, taking these exact same settings across to the 3GS gives me a true benchmark on battery performance in comparison to the others. If I'm using the same brightness level, and same push functionality, I can clearly notice a difference. If I was happy with previous battery performance using high brightness, the same performance is the very least I'd expect.

I'm still wondering whether it's just this one phone, or whether a 'global' problem with them.
anthonyy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: TeleNav app for iPhone 3GS Reply with quote

On Tuesday, AT&T released a version of TeleNav specifically for the iPhone 3G S and earlier iPhone models with the OS 3.0 software updates. The app is now available for download from the iTunes app store. Check it out at: http://www.telenav.com/products/tn/. Does anybody have this software yet with their iPhone? If yes, how do you like it?
imola.zhp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ nope, looks pretty cool...

My white 32gig 3g S is waiting at the house for me!

WOO HOO!

Current
32g iPhone4; 13" MBP 2.4/4g Ram/250g hd; 1TB TC; 2 ATV2's; Airport Express

Previous
8g iPhone Edge; 32g iPhone 3gS
8g iPod Nano (2nd); 16g iPod Nano (6th)
Mini 2.0/4g Ram/120g hd
cheef

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just going back to my battery issue, it seems as though there are definitely big problems world wide. I was 15 minutes away from attending a Genius Bar appointment until I found that thread, so ended up canceling knowing it's not a problem with my own device.

In other news, 3.1 is in the offing to developers, so expect fixes for the initial 3.0 teething problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: