123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini Airport reception problems..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
packerfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Mac mini Airport reception problems.. Reply with quote

Starting to surface?

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20050218021720497

My mini is coming soon and I ordered it with AE. Anyone out there have it insalled and hows the reception?
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wired my home to the teeth when I first moved in (used to drag cable for a living)...The only reason I even HAVE a wireless AP is for my Tungsten C. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
inimcam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! I hope they aren't like the old Powerbooks. I guess it's the small antenna.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would've been nice if they could've included a connection on the back for an external antenna...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bubba

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reception seems better than my Powerbook 1.5ghz.
packerfan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
My reception seems better than my Powerbook 1.5ghz.

That's good to hear. My mini will be about 35-feet away from the router with a few walls in between it. The reason why I'm concerned is my router has crappy range itself.
Macaholic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Small antenna has poor signal strength. I use a D-Link DWL-122 USB wireless adapter with my minis and get excellent signal strength. It works flawlessly with my existing mixed PC and Mac wireless network.
monty77

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macaholic wrote:
Yes. Small antenna has poor signal strength. I use a D-Link DWL-122 USB wireless adapter with my minis and get excellent signal strength. It works flawlessly with my existing mixed PC and Mac wireless network.

I tried using a DWL-122 with my mini and although it installed fine it made OSX hang up every so often, with wired connection it's been fine.

What drivers where you using? Ones on DLink site state OSX 10.2 only although they did install on the Mini without errors.

Cheers,
Adam
travism

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the range on the D-Link wireless adapters? I'm thinking about picking one up. The mini is in my basement and the router is about 45 feet away on the floor above.

Mini powered since 2-22-05!
EXrider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: DWL-122 v1.4.7 Driver Reply with quote

Quote:
I tried using a DWL-122 with my mini and although it installed fine it made OSX hang up every so often, with wired connection it's been fine.

What drivers where you using? Ones on DLink site state OSX 10.2 only although they did install on the Mini without errors.

The trick is to not use the junktastic, crash-happy v1.32 driver from D-Link's US website.

Get the v1.4.7 driver from:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15997

This is the driver I'm using now on my mini and an old iBook G3, it works way better than v1.32, but still has it's quirks; if you boot up with the adaptor connected it won't be detected, you have to unplug, then replug it in a different port to get it to see the DWL-122. Sometimes when it's unplugged, the machine will kernel panic, and I always unplug it before sleeping a machine (else it won't wake up, or kernel panics on wakeup). Once it's up though the connection is solid. Apparently this driver version is posted on D-Link's Signapore website, but not the US site.

While you're at it, sign the petition against D-Link for doing a less than stellar job supporting the Macintosh platform with the DWL-122 driver:
http://www.petitiononline.com/dwl122/petition.html

I would've pitched the DWL-122 by now since I bought an Airport Extreme card, but I later found out that the mezzanine board and antenna were also required to install the AE card in the Mini. The few vendors that are selling these online are gouging consumers, $45 for a little piece of PCB with two plastic connectors, plus another $20 something for the antenna is stupid. Once you've spent that much cash just to get AE working on the Mini by yourself you could've had the AE and BT already BTO'd from Apple. I'll suffer with the DWL-122 for now.
1.42GHz/80GB Mini: 1GB RAM, Dual Layer Uberdrive (UJ-845S), 160GB WD 7200RPM 8MB SE in FW Enclosure, 19" Advueu LCD via DVI, D-Link DWL-122 wireless USB adaptor. Have an AE card, but waiting for vendors to stop gouging for the mezzanine card & antenna!
travism

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would've pitched the DWL-122 by now since I bought an Airport Extreme card, but I later found out that the mezzanine board and antenna were also required to install the AE card in the Mini.

Good info!

I just found that out about the mezzanine board about a week ago. I've decided to get the D-Link adapter but looking back I should have bought Airport Extreme as an option.

Mini powered since 2-22-05!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: