123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Safari 4 Downloads Top 11 Million in Three Days
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It runs great on my Mac's, like many I was iffy about installing it on my PC's, but I figured I would and it runs so much better than IE 8 and FireFox ...even on the the Vaio P (which is by far the cr*ppiest, yet coolest, netbook ever).

It's sort of funny how more than half the downloads were on a PC.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
It runs great on my Mac's, like many I was iffy about installing it on my PC's, but I figured I would and it runs so much better than IE 8 and FireFox ...even on the the Vaio P (which is by far the cr*ppiest, yet coolest, netbook ever).

It's sort of funny how more than half the downloads were on a PC.

Yeah, a pity there's no Linux version! Ubuntu is so much better than crappy Vista/7!
wolfcoyote

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Same thing with the beta version Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
Be carefull installing safari 4.0 on your windows partition on your mac caused internet explorer 8.0 to become invalid and won't connect to the internet anymore but safari is still connecting fine.

I'm glad you pointed that out! I'm counting the days until I pick up my Mac mini on July 11th BTW.

I had the beta version of Safari on my Vista laptop, and to me it was better than Firefox 3 as far as showing my bookmarks in both list view and in cover flow modes (even though it did eat up hard disk space and especially RAM). The first thing that happened was that when my mother needed to use my laptop's IE7 for attending online classes she complained that the browser kept shutting off on her. I went into Windows Defender (which I HATE) and saw that IE was disabled. I fixed it and reran it and at first it worked - until the next session. Several days later IE refused to run no matter how hard I tried.

Eventually my beloved Firefox 3 REFUSED to connect to the internet no matter what I did - not even fresh installs, but all the while Safari was working almost perfectly - until Apple updated the beta. After I updated the beta NO web browsers would work - Safari included. A podcaster/blogger/Paralegal major's hell: a computer that can't connect to the internet.

I had to completely reinstall Vista just to get online via IE to get my precious Firefox back. Luckily this has NOT discouraged me from getting a Mac, but I'm hoping that among the installed software Safari 3 (not 4) will be included.

iPad mini "R" (Retina Display), 32GB wi-fi only model
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Same thing with the beta version Reply with quote

wolfcoyote wrote:

I'm glad you pointed that out! I'm counting the days until I pick up my Mac mini on July 11th BTW.

I had the beta version of Safari on my Vista laptop, and to me it was better than Firefox 3 as far as showing my bookmarks in both list view and in cover flow modes (even though it did eat up hard disk space and especially RAM). The first thing that happened was that when my mother needed to use my laptop's IE7 for attending online classes she complained that the browser kept shutting off on her. I went into Windows Defender (which I HATE) and saw that IE was disabled. I fixed it and reran it and at first it worked - until the next session. Several days later IE refused to run no matter how hard I tried.

Eventually my beloved Firefox 3 REFUSED to connect to the internet no matter what I did - not even fresh installs, but all the while Safari was working almost perfectly - until Apple updated the beta. After I updated the beta NO web browsers would work - Safari included. A podcaster/blogger/Paralegal major's hell: a computer that can't connect to the internet.

I had to completely reinstall Vista just to get online via IE to get my precious Firefox back. Luckily this has NOT discouraged me from getting a Mac, but I'm hoping that among the installed software Safari 3 (not 4) will be included.

Safari 4 is not working badly on Safari, has still some bugs, but they will be sorted out in time, other browsers will keep working on the Mac (FF, Camino, Opera, Cruz and many, many others) so don't worry. You will be wondering however that you kept up with M$ for so long! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: