123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros New iPhone 3G S
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Apple Intros New iPhone 3G S Reply with quote

Apple Intros New iPhone 3G S
Monday, June 8, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today introduced the new iPhone 3G S, the fastest, most powerful iPhone yet, packed with new features including improved speed and performance-up to twice as fast as iPhone 3G-with longer battery life, a high-quality 3 megapixel autofocus camera, easy to use video recording and hands free voice control. iPhone 3G S includes the new iPhone OS 3.0, the world's most advanced mobile operating system with over 100 new features such as Cut, Copy and Paste, MMS, Spotlight Search, landscape keyboard and more. iPhone 3G S offers twice the capacity for the same price with a 16GB model for $199 and a new 32GB model for $299. And beginning today, iPhone 3G is available at the price of $99 for the 8GB model.

"iPhone 3G S is the fastest, most powerful iPhone yet and we think people will love the incredible new features including autofocus camera, video recording and the freedom of voice control," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of WorldWide Product Marketing. "And with a breakthrough price of $99, we are thrilled to get iPhone 3G into the hands of even more users who want them."

iPhone 3G S offers incredible speed and performance, on average up to twice as fast as iPhone 3G, so you can render web pages quicker and launch applications faster. iPhone 3G S takes advantage of the OpenGL ES 2.0 standard for stunning high-quality 3D graphics, making mobile gaming and other graphic intense applications better than ever. iPhone 3G S is not only faster, but with longer battery life you can watch more videos, listen to more music, browse the Internet or keep using your favorite apps even longer. The new iPhone 3G S also supports 7.2 Mbps HSDPA for faster networking speeds.

iPhone 3G S features a new 3 megapixel autofocus camera that takes pictures and video, making it easier than ever to capture, edit and share those moments instantly with family and friends. The new autofocus camera adjusts focus, exposure, color and contrast for the best possible image and includes an automatic macro focus for extra close up shots. With the new "tap to focus" feature, you simply touch the display to select an object or area of interest and the camera automatically re-adjusts focus and exposure. You can record incredible high-quality video clips and edit them right on your iPhone 3G S by simply trimming the start and stop points. With iPhone 3G S you can send photos and video by email or MMS and post them to MobileMe or YouTube with just one tap.

The voice control feature in iPhone 3G S offers hands free operation for both iPhone and iPod functions. Simply speak the appropriate commands into the built-in microphone or headset microphone to dial by name or number. With voice control you can play your favorite music by artist, album or playlist and activate the Genius feature by saying "play more songs like this." You can also tell iPhone to pause the music, play the next track, turn on shuffle or ask, "What's playing right now?"

iPhone 3G S features a new built-in digital compass for instant navigation. The Compass app shows you which way you are headed and rotates as you change direction. You can orient yourself to true north or magnetic north, and iPhone's built-in GPS automatically displays the coordinates of your current location. The new built-in digital compass is also integrated within Maps, so it automatically orients any map to the direction you are facing.

iPhone 3G S provides new accessibility features including VoiceOver, a screen reader that speaks what appears on the iPhone 3G S display, enabling visually impaired users to make calls, read email, browse web pages, play music and run applications. The new universal Zoom function magnifies the entire screen, and the White on Black feature reverses the colors on screen to provide higher contrast for people with low vision. iPhone 3G S also supports Mono Audio which combines left and right audio channels so that they can be heard in both earbuds for those with hearing loss in one ear.

iPhone 3G S includes the new iPhone OS 3.0 software with more than 100 new features including: Cut, Copy and Paste; MMS; Spotlight Search to search across iPhone or within Mail, Contacts, Calendar and iPod; landscape keyboard for Mail, Messages, Notes and Safari; expanded parental controls for TV shows, movies and apps from the App Store; and the ability to capture and send audio recordings on the go with the new Voice Memo app. iPhone 3.0 software also includes a new Find My iPhone feature that works together with MobileMe so you can locate your lost iPhone on a map, send a message that will appear on the screen or play a sound to help you find it even if your phone is set to silent. If you cannot find your iPhone, you can erase all data and content on your iPhone with the new Remote Wipe feature. New iTunes features available with iPhone 3.0 software include wirelessly downloading movies, TV and audio programs as well as iTunes U so students can download learning material s on the go.

iPhone 3G S gives users access to the App Store, the largest application store in the world with more than 50,000 applications. The App Store allows developers to reach tens of millions of iPhone and iPod touch users around the world. To date, customers have downloaded more than one billion apps from the App Store. And with more than 1,000 new APIs available with the iPhone SDK, developers can create even more innovative applications using In-App Purchases, a new Maps API and Push Notifications.

iPhone 3G S also features built-in Nike + iPod support making it an incredible workout companion. Users simply place the optional Nike + iPod sensor in their Nike + shoe to seamlessly connect with iPhone 3G S to track miles run or sync with the latest generation gym equipment.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1228.html
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone made it the entire way through to pre-order one? I haven't been able to yet.
cheef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I'll just queue up on the day. I'm sad like that.

Smile
iMac 27" i5 2.66GHz, 12GB
MacBook Air 11" 1.4GHz, 4GB
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking they would change the design up a little more. That's my only real disappointment. Well, that and the evil empire that is AT&T. I got something they can tethering on.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife tried to order a 16GB iPhone 3GS in white, but she had a problem with verifying our address. It would say there was an error and give the same address over and over as being corrected. Rolling Eyes
cheef

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a re-think.

For those currently on an iPhone 3G contract we'd have to pay up the remainder to obtain the 3GS. I'm 'lucky' enough to have purchased my 3G on the first week of release, but I still have 7 months left to pay up should I wish to upgrade.

Going with the high end version (32GB), it would end up costing me around the £400-450 ($640-720) just to end up with the 3GS. For a device that looks the same, and only does a 'bit' more than the 3G, just does not justify this sort of outlay in my opinion.

I think Apple have missed a trick here. If the upgrade path was the same as the 2G to 3G situation (pay for the device, sign a new 18 month contract no questions asked) or the device aesthetically looked more pleasing, it would be worth considering.

I'm not going to fall into the sense that all these new features are 3GS alone - they're not. In the main the increased functionality comes from iPhone OS 3.0, and I won't be led down the garden path thinking it's all due to the 3GS and I have to give Apple my cash for the sake of it.
iMac 27" i5 2.66GHz, 12GB
MacBook Air 11" 1.4GHz, 4GB
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't do anything until your contract runs out cheef. The iPhone 3G S has some nice features, but you should be able to hang in there with your 3G and iPhone OS 3.0 until it ends. This also gives Apple time to correct any issues with the first batch. I'm only ordering because I have the original iPhone at 4GB and faith in Apple. Smile
Huff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I'm not that impressed with the new iPhone. The software is nice, but I thought Apple would do something special on the hardware side. Like two cameras for video chatting or something. I also thought the overall styling would change more
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait! I gotta get the new one! I have the original 8GB iPhone and wasn't that impressed with the changes when the 3G model came out but, now with the new features combined with the "old" updates, I can't wait.

COME ON JUNE 19TH!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
serpent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless someone's gonna give me close to $499 for my 3G, I'm waiting till my contracts over.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

serpent wrote:
Unless someone's gonna give me close to $499 for my 3G, I'm waiting till my contracts over.

AT&T really knows how to please their customers. Rolling Eyes

We're going to get one and add another line later in the summer. I'm thinking my wife will end up with the new phone though, but that's okay. She'll make better use of the video and pictures.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my fathers phone under my family plan too, and he was due for an upgrade last month. I asked AT&T if I can buy it using his number and once I get it movie it to my number, they said it was fine and doable ...so I did that since I asked my father and he refuses to upgrade his phone since he barley learned how to use it Smile

...so that's an idea for those that have multiple phones under a family plan.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update, not sure if anyone has posted elsewhere, but Apple appears to have started shipping the new iPhone to those that ordered it online. It's shipping from Shenzhen, China, via UPS Worldwide Service. ...but hey, it is designed in California Smile
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is still preparing for shipment, but I'm sure it will be here by the weekend. That's all that counts, right? Smile
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine! I'm coming from the original and it's so much faster. I'm also impressed with the video quality, touch focus for photos, and compass with maps. All I want now is free tethering. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: