123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates MacBook Pro Family
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Apple Updates MacBook Pro Family Reply with quote

Apple Updates MacBook Pro Family
Monday, June 8, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today updated the aluminum unibody MacBook Pro line to include 13-inch, 15-inch and 17-inch models featuring Apple's innovative built-in battery for up to 40 percent longer battery life. Each MacBook Pro includes an LED-backlit display with greater color intensity, the innovative glass Multi-Touch trackpad, an illuminated keyboard, an SD card or ExpressCard slot, a FireWire 800 port and state of the art NVIDIA graphics. Starting at $1,199, the MacBook Pro line is more affordable than ever, with some models up to $300 less than the previous generation. The industry's greenest notebook lineup, every Mac notebook achieves EPEA Gold status and meets Energy Star 5.0 requirements, setting a new standard for environmentally friendly notebook design.

"Across the line, all of our new MacBook Pro models now include Apple's innovative built-in battery for up to seven hours of battery life, while staying just as thin and light as before," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "Starting at just $1,199, the aluminum unibody MacBook Pro is more affordable than ever and sets a new standard for environmentally friendly notebook design."

The new 13-inch MacBook Pro is a significant upgrade at a lower price than the original aluminum MacBook it replaces. With the same sleek and durable design popular with consumers, students and professionals, all 13-inch MacBook Pro models now include a seven hour built-in battery, an SD card slot, a FireWire 800 port, an illuminated keyboard and an improved LED-backlit display with 60 percent greater color gamut. Featuring the powerful NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics processor, the 13-inch MacBook Pro is available in two models: one with a 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB of RAM and a 160GB hard drive priced at $1,199, and another with a 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM and a 250GB hard drive priced at $1,499.

The 15-inch MacBook Pro now features a seven hour built-in battery, an SD card slot, an improved LED-backlit display with 60 percent greater color gamut and 4GB of RAM across the line at an entry price $300 less than before. The new 15-inch MacBook Pro is available in three models: a 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo system with a 250GB hard drive and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics for a new entry price of $1,699; a 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo system with a 320GB hard drive, and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and 9600M GT graphics for $1,999; and a 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo system with a 500GB hard drive, and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and 9600M GT graphics for $2,299.

The 17-inch MacBook Pro, which includes an eight hour built-in battery, an ExpressCard slot, a brilliant LED-backlit display, 4GB of RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and 9600M GT graphics, has been updated to include a faster 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and a larger 500GB hard drive for $2,499, which is $300 less than before.

Apple today also updated the MacBook Air, making it more powerful and more affordable. Measuring just 0.16 to 0.76-inches thin and weighing just three pounds, the MacBook Air is available in two models starting with the new entry price of $1,499 for a 1.86 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo system with a 120GB hard drive and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics, and a 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo system with a 128GB solid state drive and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics for $1,799.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1225.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some questions...

If you're buying a new MacBook, would you go with the new MacBook Air or the new 13" MacBook Pro?

Also, how many of you are upgrading from the iPhone 3G to 3Gs?
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with the 13" MacBook Pro unless you want the bigger screen. That being said, I am so disappointed with Apple. I'm talking about the glass screens and built-in batteries. I'm going to baby my old MacBook Pro for as long as I can.
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice upgrades! Shame about the built-in batteries though.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
epic_ed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where I stand on the built-in batteries, but an anti-glare option on the 15" model would have been nice. You have to love the new prices though.
Jeffy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mixed emotions about the built-in battery and SD card slot (on the 15" model). It's nice the 13" model comes with FireWire though. I may downsize later in the year.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
If you're buying a new MacBook, would you go with the new MacBook Air or the new 13" MacBook Pro?

I would rather have the 13" MacBook Pro with all the expansion and storage, but now might be a good time to buy a refurbished MacBook Air.
iLife's a Bitch!
hafamaca

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do you do when the built-in battery goes bad, take it to Apple for a replacement?
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:

I would rather have the 13" MacBook Pro with all the expansion and storage, but now might be a good time to buy a refurbished MacBook Air.

Good point. ...or wait for MicroCenter, macmall,com or amazon.com to drop prices too; they do a good job with prices on previous models sometimes.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
Good point. ...or wait for MicroCenter, macmall,com or amazon.com to drop prices too; they do a good job with prices on previous models sometimes.

The old GMA x3100 models are selling for like $999. I was thinking that would be the new price point for the refurbs. I guess they still have x3100 models to clear out though. You're right about looking for deals at MacMall and Amazon. They really dump out the old models when new ones come out now.
iLife's a Bitch!
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 13" models deserve higher capacity hard drives. A 160GB hard drive is pretty sad for a $1200 dollar laptop these days. They should actually be doing better with the Mac mini and white MacBook too.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The addition of a faster processor and firewire onto the 13" MacBook/Pro actually has me thinking about replacing my 15" G4 PowerBook. But I can't decide whether I'm better off with a 15" display or a lighter laptop. Ideally, I would buy the lighter MacBook Air but I'd like the 7 hour battery and I don't want a 4200 rpm drive. I'm also wondering about refurbs now. Maybe the best deal is a unibody 15" MacBook Pro with a user-removable battery. Speed isn't that critical - any MacBook/Pro will be a lot faster than my PowerBook, which isn't so bad, either.
Fazzy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy a 15" MacBook Pro in a heartbeat if they came with matte screens. I even like the glossy screens better on the MacBook Air and WhiteBook. The glass screen on the MacBook Pro is so darn reflective. It can be like looking in a mirror at times.
lh_newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it. Apple talks about only selling quality product and you can't get anti-glare on the 13 & 15" MBP? I personally won't buy a laptop without anti-glare (and will never pay what they want for the 17")
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lh_newbie wrote:
I don't get it. Apple talks about only selling quality product and you can't get anti-glare on the 13 & 15" MBP? I personally won't buy a laptop without anti-glare (and will never pay what they want for the 17")

There's this company that replaces the LCD with a matte one:

http://www.techrestore.com/xcart/product.php?productid=18467&cat=0&page=1

I'm not sure if they'll work on the new 13" MacBook Pro though. I've never used their service, but a friend id recommend them.

That's an option Apple should include though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: