123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

copy text to GIMP/Seashore/Paintbrush

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiat

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: copy text to GIMP/Seashore/Paintbrush Reply with quote

Hi,

I am a new switcher (from pc to mac mini) and having a problem to do the same in mini as in pc: (in pc) start Microsoft Word and Photoshop; open a .doc file in Word and 'copy' the text content; open an empty file in Photoshop and 'Paste' the text from bulletin board to the empty file; 'save as' the file to a 'jpg' or 'gif' or other graphic files. Now I follow the same process in mini: start Pages and either of GIMP/Seashore/Paintbrush (don't have photoshop mac); open a page file in Pages (iWork) and 'copy' the text content; open an empty file in GIMP (or either of the three) and 'paste' the text to the empty file -- at this point, it fails and either nothing or just a few special characters (e.g., mathematical symbols) shows up in the window of the empty file, so I can't convert my text file into a graphic file in mac as it can be simply done in pc.

What's the issue here I do with mini? Don't I have the right graphic software to accomplish this? Don't I implement the right procedure to convert a text file into a graphic file? Or worst to say that the task simply can't be done with mac OSX? Please help and thanks
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what that process leads to, but perhaps just pressing Command Shift and 4 to select a part of the screen to capture would work? That will put a file on your desktop.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD / 120GB SSD 10.10 (Thanks Phil!)

4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5

Make sure it has pins!
Squeeck

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the procedure works well enough between TeXtedit and PhotoShop (CS), that's how I imported certain song lyrics for my desktop pictures, so at least it is not OS limitation. Haven't used the specified image programs though. It may well be Word/mac limitation, you could try opening the Word file with OS:s default text program and copy/paste from there; I recall having had some problems pasting text from Word to FreeHand at work. And in PS you have to have the text tool active to paste the text content. Hope some of this made sense/helped.
fiat

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I'm not sure what that process leads to, but perhaps just pressing Command Shift and 4 to select a part of the screen to capture would work? That will put a file on your desktop.

SC

Hey SC, Thanks a lot.

It works and is a brilliant idea!
Only perfect if this can be circumvented: Now say you start a text processor and open a big file (e.g., 3 pages); you see the first page in the window and you press shift-command-4 and start to drag the area you like to take a screen shot ... but you can't go to the 2nd page, you can only stop at the bottom of the window! It seems limited to have the image shot that is shown on the 'current' screen. I guess it's a 'screen shot' and you can't do more than that. Right?
fiat

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squeeck wrote:
Well, the procedure works well enough between TeXtedit and PhotoShop (CS), that's how I imported certain song lyrics for my desktop pictures, so at least it is not OS limitation. Haven't used the specified image programs though. It may well be Word/mac limitation, you could try opening the Word file with OS:s default text program and copy/paste from there; I recall having had some problems pasting text from Word to FreeHand at work. And in PS you have to have the text tool active to paste the text content. Hope some of this made sense/helped.

Squeeck, Thanks.

I think PS would work fine in OSX as in Windows (I will later download a trial version for this). But not for other graphic editors (at least not GIMP, Seashore and Paintbrush in OSX). I tried activating the text tool before pasting in Paintbrush and it did nothing different. Anyway, I am to take the 'screen shot' (SC's recommendation) as a temporary solution for my need now.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct, it is just a screen shot with a selectable area. Command Shift 3 is a screen shot of the whole screen.

Also, have you maybe tried NeoOffice, or OpenOffice for this?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD / 120GB SSD 10.10 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
fiat

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
That is correct, it is just a screen shot with a selectable area. Command Shift 3 is a screen shot of the whole screen.

Also, have you maybe tried NeoOffice, or OpenOffice for this?

SC

Yes, I have NeoOffice. I tried it with GIMP/Paintbrush and it seems that the text copied to the clipboard remained as a text file and it can't be pasted to any graphic/image editor except maybe PS. I think it's down to whether the graphic editor has the capability of grabbing the text file in clipboard and converting to an image pasted into the editor. I wonder if this is also true in Windows: do you remember (if you were a pc user before) that you can copy text file from MS Word and paste into Paint (the simple image editor in Windows)? It suddenly changes in many things from pc to mac world.
Fiat
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a Mac user since 1984, and peecee sufferer since 1986, so - no!

I see now that NeoOffice doesn't have painting application, but I think OO does....

Just to irritate myself I fired up GIMP, and with the text tool I was surprised that I couldn't paste text into the text entry window! But it can load text from a file. So I tried that. I then had a window full of text, which I then merged all the layers, then flattened. Saved that as a JPEG. Opened it in Preview and had a picture of text.

So this might be one of those things where you have to alter your workflow, for the tools available.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
fiat

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
But it can load text from a file. So I tried that. I then had a window full of text,...
SC

Hey SC,

Just how do you 'load text from a file to GIMP'? Was that from a 'text' file you did? I wonder 'To load text' you mean to 'open' the text file in GIMP? Please provide more details.

Thanks
Fiat
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fired up GIMP, created a new document(you might want to change the file page size though), then selected the text tool A, then clicked in the image and the text entry window pops up.

In the GIMP Text Editor window, there are four options along the top. The first one is Open, which is what we are interested in. Then there is Clear, Left To Right, and Right To Left.

Click on Open, and find the file you want to open from. In my case I used a text clipping from a chat conversation with my ComCraptic ISP. You might need to edit out header info, and assorted file fluff. Select the file, select Open, and then Close. You should have text on your page. Then do the merge/flatten and save. Should be good to go from there.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
fiat

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I fired up GIMP, created a new document(you might want to change the file page size though), then selected the text tool A, then clicked in the image and the text entry window pops up.

In the GIMP Text Editor window, there are four options along the top. The first one is Open, which is what we are interested in. Then there is Clear, Left To Right, and Right To Left.

Click on Open, and find the file you want to open from. In my case I used a text clipping from a chat conversation with my ComCraptic ISP. You might need to edit out header info, and assorted file fluff. Select the file, select Open, and then Close. You should have text on your page. Then do the merge/flatten and save. Should be good to go from there.

SC

Hi SC,

Again many thanks to your help with great details. I followed your procedure with steps, but at the end GIMP displayed an error message regarding text file property and it only showed 'PK' in the entry window ... I tried my old doc file and the converted pages file; both failed to show up in GIMP. I guess my old windows doc files and their converted mac pages files possess some special properties that GIMP does not recognize or render. (GIMP message: Invalid UTF-8 data in the source file ...)

I am sure you didn't experience this issue with your source file, but I don't know why I did? Have any idea?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking it's because your file is in UTF, and not ANSI. Perhaps if you can convert it to a straight up text file, say with TextEdit or something, it might work.

I wish I knew a better method for this, but this is about all I can figure. Otherwise, I think I'm at the limit of my knowledge of GIMP!

Perhaps after the holiday weekend has ended, more suggestions will come forth...

SC

Make sure it has pins!
valefortia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comkinozones.rulaserlens.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.rustungun.rulargeheart.ru
lasercalibration.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.ru
mailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.runameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.ru
neatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ru
onesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.rupapercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ru
qualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.ru
readingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.rurectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.ru
salestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.ru
semifinishmachining.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.ru
tenementbuilding.ruultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.rujournallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.ru
kaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.ru
kleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.rukondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.ru
lacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.ru
landingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.rulanguagelaboratory.rufactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.ru
galvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ru
haemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ruhangonpart.ru
haphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ru
heatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.ru
valefortia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkd
kdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkd
kdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkd
tarizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ei16CHBeXVRoFaPeBiOnRoSqXVIIBeXIAsIXBaMeXXCoBiChTeZyPRInInAf
EvLeJoXXMiCDErPuElGlRSBoFrDVRePeSuDVDUSoAlHuReRATLPhXXXVEl
WoDrNiopIISeviMoXIPuPuCDCiMaJoSaGuRoMiJuRIZeLlSSTEXVThFasp
ZeAlRCilksGiHeStInRNHoLaPoCaHaDVhoChTiCaJoFrToNoIILoJeJaMo
XXXIRCXIToMaNTWiElJoBoRCChWoLeCoLoCoDaDVIIAtceVaEdDCJiAlSe
CDSkmpSaThKeChJePrXXADHeJeWiXXTrGiFaUsBeGHStXXThXXAcJeVaSe
ThJeGoVaPeExIIAtIIRoDiLuNeViThLPCDMaMeEnToLuAlFrCDReMiJoAr
EdXINeRCsoWIInPaSaEnMoayWaSiJoChThMa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: