123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Mac Mini with external 2.5" portable hard drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sinar

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Using Mac Mini with external 2.5" portable hard drive Reply with quote

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a Mac Mini for use as a HTPC. The main feature that appeals to me is it's very low power usage, so it will be cheap to run if left on all the time.

I am trying to decide which external hard drive to use with it to store all of my media, my main priority is that it should have low power consumption and should be as quiet as possible, ideally having no fan.

Obviously a 3.5" hard drive would be better value as far as capacity is concerned, but I'm not keen on having to plug it into the mains and would assume it would use more electricity than a 2.5" drive.

Are there any downsides to using a smaller portable drive, other than the storage would cost about double the cost of a bigger drive? Would a portable hard drive be fast enough for playing movies and TV shows using Plex?

Also would it be preferable to use a 3.5" drive just so I could make use of the firewire 800 on the new mac mini, or would a usb connection on a portable drive be good enough?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make user I make all the right choices for my new set up,

Thanks for reading,
MoL

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I wanted the same thing as you : a small hard drive near macmini, which makes no noise.
I've bought Western digital "my passport essential" one : no noise, better than my previous one.
Like this one (sorry, french amazon website, but you may find it somewhere else Wink
http://www.amazon.fr/Western-Digital-Passport-Essential-Externe/dp/B001GO6TGS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242898361&sr=1-2
sinar

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into them, they sound perfect,

Julie
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A FW800/400 3.5" external drive is optimal for speed and storage capacity, but a USB bus-powered 2.5" external drive has more than enough throughput for playing Video_TS, H.264 and MPEG-4 movies in Plex or any other application. I use a little Seagate Freeagent Go drive that sits in a dock for watching and listening to loaner stuff from friends at work. It's handy or going back and forth to work, but it would also make for a nice permanent solution with the dock. It's also really quiet.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Using Mac Mini with external 2.5" portable hard dr Reply with quote

sinar wrote:
Hi,

I am thinking of getting a Mac Mini for use as a HTPC. The main feature that appeals to me is it's very low power usage, so it will be cheap to run if left on all the time.

I am trying to decide which external hard drive to use with it to store all of my media, my main priority is that it should have low power consumption and should be as quiet as possible, ideally having no fan.

Obviously a 3.5" hard drive would be better value as far as capacity is concerned, but I'm not keen on having to plug it into the mains and would assume it would use more electricity than a 2.5" drive.

Are there any downsides to using a smaller portable drive, other than the storage would cost about double the cost of a bigger drive? Would a portable hard drive be fast enough for playing movies and TV shows using Plex?

Also would it be preferable to use a 3.5" drive just so I could make use of the firewire 800 on the new mac mini, or would a usb connection on a portable drive be good enough?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make user I make all the right choices for my new set up,

Thanks for reading,

Hi this is a good piece of gear for your needs.

This has 1 usb
1 firewire 400
1 firewire 800

this is the ireland store

http://www.lacie.com/ie/products/product.htm?pid=10949

this is a GB ebay link

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=lacie+rugged&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I own a 250gb version It is nice gear.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LACIE-250GB-RUGGED-PORTABLE-HARD-DRIVE-FIREWIRE-USB_W0QQitemZ130306680180QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_HardDrives_RL?hash=item130306680180&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1690%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

500gb version

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-IN-SEALED-BOX-LACIE-RUGGED-500-GIG-HARD-DRIVE_W0QQitemZ220417028131QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_HardDrives_RL?hash=item220417028131&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1690%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Make sure to get the one with 3 interfaces. Not the usb only! Costs more ,but you get what you pay for! Oh No fan dead quiet!

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: