123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP! Deleted my account in Mail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: HELP! Deleted my account in Mail Reply with quote

I changed DSL provider today so after I got home to find my new connection was working I went about chaning email settings. I changed my misses XP laptop fine, changed my XP PC fine, then went to change my Mac and BAM lost all my mail!!!

Basically I added a new account into Mac Mail and checked it was downloading which was fine. I then went back into preferences to delete the old account and all my email went! I can't beleive this is how it works by deleting all your email assigned to that account!! I've only recently come over to Macs and this has really p**sed me off! I've just looked on the web and it turns out I should have disabled not deleted the account. Great! I've still lost my mail which I haven't backed up for about 2 weeks through not having much time at my computer etc.

Basically is there a way I can recover this lost mail? If not then I'm going to be sorly tempted to eBay this mini.... Sad
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a behavior of a single application. Don't ebay your mini for something it isn't responsible for. Example: I didn't like Outlook on my PC (when I still used a PC) so I switched clients and used Pegasus.

As for the missing mail, if you didn't use the same account name the mail may still exist. Here is a thread describing someone in a similar position:

http://www.macosx.com/content/faq.php/q6030/Recover-Mail-In-Mac-Osx-Mailtiger-After-Removing-Account.html

Good Luck!
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
AndyR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
This is a behavior of a single application. Don't ebay your mini for something it isn't responsible for.

Sorry I'm a bit calmer this morning. Couldn't get my mail back but its not all that bad. I had been trying Thunderbird and moved back to Mail about a month ago so I still had a lot of mail in that I could import. Also, I had created a lot of folders in mail which I was moving email to from friends etc and these haven't been deleted so thats not too bad. Still a bit narked but I won't be selling my mini because of that.

I only recently had my PC die and loose lots of data only because for some reason my previous 3 backups on dvd would not longer read (cheap dvds) so that was something that took me a while to get over. After moving to the Mac though I haven't backed up anything so going to figure out a way of doing it now.

My fault I suppose. Been a tech for too long and too happy clicking Yes/No without reading the whole message. Won't do that again but I still think its a bit of a silly way for Mail to behave. Judging by the 10s of thousands of google responses you get back from searching I'm not the only one who has done this.

Oh well, life goes on.
caulktel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are many ways to back up your stuff, but what I do is use Carbon Copy Cloner and completly mirror my Mini hard drive to my external Firewire drive, that way if I hose the mini drive I can boot to the Firewire and clone it back. I agree with the other poster, don't E-Bay your Mini it needs you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: