123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini HTPC Keyboard Options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Hann

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Mini HTPC Keyboard Options Reply with quote

I'm soon to be getting a mini for my HTPC. Trying to figure out what is the best integrated keyboard/mouse solution. The apple wireless keyboard is out because there's no integrated trackpad and I won't have a flat surface to run a separate mouse on. I've been using Air Mouse on my current HTPC with pretty good success, but I'd prefer a real keyboard. Most HTPC dedicated keyboards I've seen are designed for PC, not mac, and I definately want correctly labelled and layed out keys (esp. option keys, volume controls and expose). I see that Adesso has a mac specific integrated keyboard/trackpad, but it doesn't look like it supports multitouch. Any suggestions?
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest a Logitech diNovo Edge, Mac Edition. It is a bit pricey but does all you want, except multi touch. However I don't know that any wireless touchpads that do support multi touch - it may exist, I'm just not aware of it. I have the Windows version of this, but plan to get that problem taken care of soon.

Good luck!!!
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
MoL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if you're looking for a small one, you can look at the logitech dinovo mini, some peple here have it and love it (so maybe i'll buy one, one day ...), even even the cost is quite high.
geitemelk

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same questions.

Another solution is the Keysonic keyboard KeySonic 540RF. It is wireless, includes a touchpad and as a bonus has a mac key layout.

It is much cheaper then my solution: wireless apple keyboard and a wireless wacom pen tablet.
MrBabou

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Dinovo Edge myself. It's the 'windows' version, but works fine with the Mini.

One thing I don't really like on it though, is the small trackpad, mostly for scrolling. It works, but it's a headache. I'm now using a Logitech cordless trackman wheel beside me. Now THAT works well! Takes a little bit of getting used to, using the trackball with your thumb, but it's MUCH easier than the keyboard's trackpad. And also, having tried both, I find this mouse easier to use (trackball moved with thumb) than the cordless trackMan optical (trackball for your fingers).
mini ant

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at a Dinovo but the price was to high for me so i went for a Keysonic ACK-540MAC RF Wireless Keyboard Apple Mac. its a white a mini wireless keyboard with a built in tracepad with a mac keyboard layout. i got it from ebay for £30 plus p+p.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I had an issue with having a keyboard/mouse lying around in the living room; of any size. Use screen sharing from my laptop to connect. Dunno why having a laptop sitting around in the living is acceptable...strange how we justify things.
MrBabou

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
Personally I had an issue with having a keyboard/mouse lying around in the living room; of any size. Use screen sharing from my laptop to connect. Dunno why having a laptop sitting around in the living is acceptable...strange how we justify things.

The good thing about this solution though, is that since you already owned the laptop, it was no extra cost this way Wink
fsartono

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Jaadu on my iPhone to gain mouse & keyboard access on my Mac mini. Best and free solution.
GizmoDVD

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrBabou wrote:
ez061111 wrote:

The good thing about this solution though, is that since you already owned the laptop, it was no extra cost this way Wink

What's the best (i.e. free) way to do the direct connect from Laptop to Mini?
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have 10.5 you can use Screen Sharing; it's a built-in Core Services app. Open HD icon and on left bar you will see computers that are in your network. Click on computer you want to access and then click on "Share Screen". Computer that you want to control must have Screen Sharing activated in the Sharing area of System Preferences.

I bet there are other free remote access programs out there, but I've not used them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: