123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plex 0.7.8 Released [U]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Plex 0.7.8 Released [U] Reply with quote

Plex 0.7.8 Released
Sunday, February 22, 2009
Posted by: Brian

The best media center software for the Mac just got a little better. The Plex team has announced the release of Plex 0.7.8. So what's the big news with this release? Well, it features a new Plex Media Server (icon shown on right) that connects to their brand new Plex App Store. And what's in the Plex App Store? Just some really cool plug-ins that serve up content from the likes of Apple, CNET, Hulu, Revision 3, and Ted. Right now, there are approximately 20 of them available for download. Just select the provider you want, and everything gets installed automatically. It's really that easy. The Plex App Store will even check for updates of the plug-ins you have installed.

Read more...

[Update:] Plex 0.7.9 has been released to fix some of the issues with 0.7.8. More information about this upadate can be found here.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1143.html

Last edited by admin on Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:36 am; edited 4 times in total
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This update rocks! Cool
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe how cool this is! Boxee and Front Row are dead to me. Just give me a Netflix plugin and I will be in heaven.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an amazing update. There are a few bugs here and there, but you can see the App Store is going to be special. I hope someone is already hard at work on a plug-in for EyeTV. How cool would that be? Do you hear that Elgato? Wink
Albert76

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need to uninstall 0.7.7 first? I don't see anything new listed in my applications window after installing over 0.7.7.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plex on Apple TV would rock!!!
...but it doesn't seem like a short-term reality. besides if a new Mini EVER comes out, I would consider upgrading to that.

I know I keep saying I'm going to get a Dell Studio Hybrid to replace my current Mini, and the idea seems more tempting as the days pass by (the Blu-ray drive and HDMI on it are tempting too), but I really love OS X and Apple software far more than anything from Microsoft or any PC software provider.
Ugagerman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert76 wrote:
Do you need to uninstall 0.7.7 first? I don't see anything new listed in my applications window after installing over 0.7.7.

No, you don't. I updated from 7 to 8 with no problems and the app store rocks. Boxee who? Very Happy
Albert76

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugagerman wrote:
No, you don't. I updated from 7 to 8 with no problems and the app store rocks. Boxee who? Very Happy

Thanks for the reply. Nothing was showing so I trashed it with AppCleaner and reinstalled Plex. It's working just fine now. The app store is freaking awesome. It sure is going to be fun watching it grow. I also like all the new iTunes stuff. I'm not sure if that's new though.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone having issues with buffering or choppy video? I'm not in front of my Mac mini right now, but the trailers from Apple weren't doing well for me yesterday. Everything else was working really well. I really like the way this app store was thought out.
iLife's a Bitch!
1gkek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
Anyone having issues with buffering or choppy video? I'm not in front of my Mac mini right now, but the trailers from Apple weren't doing well for me yesterday. Everything else was working really well. I really like the way this app store was thought out.

Same thing here. I blamed the network, drooled some more, and moved on.

Later, I adjusted my network buffers but never went back to see if it improved the Apple previews.
gmackenz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1gkek wrote:
g5g5 wrote:

Same thing here. I blamed the network, drooled some more, and moved on.

Later, I adjusted my network buffers but never went back to see if it improved the Apple previews.

If you read the post announcing the new PLEX release, you would have seen the advisement that you need to tweak your network settings Wink

http://elan.plexapp.com/2009/02/21/release-078-brave-new-world/

"Seeing as this is the initial release, expect some glitches, and there are some known issues of which you should be aware (PLEASE READ THESE):

* There is no support for authentication yet, so certain content or features which require being logged in are not available (e.g. Hulu videos that require you being logged in).
* You need to make sure you have the Flash plug-in installed for Safari, and you must make sure you don’t have any plug-ins like Safari Adblock installed (possibly Pith helmet as well).
* You may want to increase your cache settings, as plug-ins like Apple Movie Trailers, TED Talks, and other, stream video in high quality HD video.
* We have added quite a few new skin features and fixed some bugs in MediaStream, so your mileage in any other skin WILL vary greatly.
* If a Flash video is unavailable online, Plex will not detect this, and will stall while buffering.

These items will all fixed shortly."
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had more time to mess around last night. It's still not perfect, but upping the Internet cache to 768kb seems to have helped some.
iLife's a Bitch!
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I bumped my cahes WAY up, and I still have issues playing some of the trailers. I have a good internet dl speed, so that's not the problem.

It'll be figured out in due time...
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Update:] Plex 0.7.9 has been released to fix some of the issues with 0.7.8. More information about this upadate can be found here.
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aargh-a-Knot wrote:
FYI, I bumped my cahes WAY up, and I still have issues playing some of the trailers. I have a good internet dl speed, so that's not the problem.

It'll be figured out in due time...

How do you bump up your cache?!
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: