123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iTunes Loses Synch with Apple TV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

OK. I Tested all Channels & played with other Configurations on my router but I get the same result. Also moved Apple TV from where it was & put in an isolated spot away from other Electronics. Did not help. My next test will be to synch it to my eMac, I guess. If that loses synch , which I'm sure it will, it's either the Apple TV itself or some kind of weird interference in my home. I'm also going to do a test with cordless phones. I'm going to unplug from wall & unplug their phone jack. I'm trying everything. Smile
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update 2:

OK. This morning my ATV so far, 2 hours has not lost synch once. Why? Well I think I figured it out. The cordless phone in my stepdaughters room is never used until she wakes up at 12 Noon or 1PM. Then it's used from the time she wakes up until the time she goes to sleep. Don't Ask! Smile So I THINK the phone in her room is the interference Culprit. I'm not positive but she moves out on Friday, so I'm yanking the phone out when she does. If this solves the problem, all will be good!
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
usarcher

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should really try wiring the TV into the router instead of the wifi. Not that it should make a difference but with the mini hard wired maybe their is an issue going from wire to wireless.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really not possible. Drilling holes & running Cable through the attic. Not for me! Smile Although a good idea. Perhaps the Cordless Phone is the issue. I hope so. I need to get an EZ fix. Although I racked my Brain Troubleshooting for a month. Thanks!
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

usarcher

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
That is really not possible. Drilling holes & running Cable through the attic. Not for me! Smile Although a good idea. Perhaps the Cordless Phone is the issue. I hope so. I need to get an EZ fix. Although I racked my Brain Troubleshooting for a month. Thanks!

Couldn't you just run a cable down the hall for now just to test?
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not own a 50 Ft. Ethernet Cable. Otherwise I would have tried that already. But honestly, I guess the point is, it's going to have to work wireless in the way I have my home set up or I'm going to have to deal with it not working correctly, until I figure out the interference.

If it was not for your help, this post would not exist. Smile So I thank you once again.

But even if it worked with Ethernet, it would not be an option. TV in Living room. Router in my office. So I'm hoping it's the Cordless phone in my Stepdaughter's room. I will know for sure by Friday. Not long to wait. Smile

I'll keep updating. Thanks again for yours & BanditBill's help.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Result:

After like 7 hours, which has been unheard of, my ATV has not lost Synch once. No, It's not the Cordless Phones. They are still being used all day & night. I think the Belkin Router Firmware Update & changing the router settings. I turned on Turbo Setting & I left Ch. on Auto. Maybe a combination of those 3 things did it. It's too soon to say definite, but I THINK it's fixed.

Thanks to BanditBill & Usarcher for all your help!
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I thought I had it licked. Boy was I wrong. Today Apple TV Lost Synch with iTunes once again. And every time I re-synch, 10 or so minutes later it loses synch again. I kind of give up. I don't know what else I can do, besides getting up in my Attic with 50 Ft of Ethernet cable & hard wiring it, like some of you suggested Sad
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you move your eMac nearby the TV for troubleshooting and connect via ethernet before you go through the effort of hard wiring ethernet?

Hey Dino if it makes you feel any better, I used to be a technician for the phone company. I used to run wires all over people finished house for IP television and telephone. I also installed alarm systems for a little while. This is currently what Devo does daily. We've both had our share of attics and utility rooms.

It's not that bad (if you have the right tools). It will keep you young for your groupies. Smile
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely the funniest reply I have ever received since I joined. Smile L.O.L.

BanditBill, yes I would definitely check it with a 6' Ethernet Cable before I went even near an attic. But thanks for making sure! Smile

I have a feeling when Wired, I will not lose Signal but I will definitely check that out first. It's just a gut feeling how intermittently & sporadic the connection behaves, that it is indeed a Wireless Problem. But who knows, I could be surprised. Smile
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried hard wiring (Ethernet) & it seemed to work fine, just as we all figured it would. So it's just another typical Wireless Problem that I can't figure out for the life of me. I guess wireless is over rated unless you have the perfect Mix. There's like 100 people on Apple Discussions with similar problems with the TV. This is way too many hours spent on this, that's for sure.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so you knew I could not leave it alone, so I got all the Ports that needed to be Open on My Router. assigned Ports & then iTunes started acting very strange & ATV was taking forever to play anything.

So...I restored my ATV to Factory Restore. Did the Update! Then got rid of every remnant of iTunes I could find on my Mac including. plist file. Trashed them All & Emptied the Trash. Not my Files of course, just iTunes. Downloaded iTunes & installed & just put like 2 albums of Music & a couple of Videos. Just as a test. So far TV is synched & staying that way for the moment. We shall see! This is as of 2:15 PM Wed June 3rd 2009.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, I've had problems with iTunes before. It not liking some of the files I brought over from my Windows environment. Corrupted Files or something.

I'm just wondering if anyone is still reading this post. You probably all gave up on me!

I of course can never give up until I know WHY! Smile L.O.L.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino I just read it for the second time. I have a wireless mouse nothing else. This is due to my homes location. Howell New Jersey. 5 military bases are less then 20 miles from my home. Just too much random dropouts due to military gear and commications.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you know that I think of it. I'm stationed 20 Minutes from a Military base. I live near Pensacola, Fl. They are constantly doing testing in my area as well. Did not even think of that. But I'm holding strong (so far) with a new iTunes & adding my files Alphabet by Alphabet. There was something in the A's that caused the ATV to lose synch as soon as I added the files. So I deleted the A's. You must think I'm crazy but there is a method to my madness. Smile I've had kookiness in iTunes before with corrupt files causing iTunes to Crash.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: