123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Oficial Keyboard!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuaz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Apple Oficial Keyboard! Reply with quote

I have the Official Apple Keyboard and Apple Mighty Mouse.

Now i have the mighty mouse plugged into one of the USB Connectors on the keyboard. I aslo have the IPOD Shuffle but for some reason it doesnt reconize the Shuffle???!!

The light on the shuffle just keepes flashing. Where if i plug it straight into the PC it work great no problem. I tried both USb connectors etc.

Could this be a problem becasue i am running the keyboard on Win Xp. Hopefully getting Mac Mini 2morrow!

Thanks
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USB connector on the Apple keyboard is 1.1 not 2.0.

That may be the problem.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get my Shuffle to work when I plug it in to my keyboard either. It is ok when I plug it in to a 2.0 powered hub or into the back of the Mini just not the keyboard. This has been an issue that some had commented on in the past with the Mini but if you are using a different computer altogether there may be another issue with that!
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ranter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB ports are designed to provide 500milliamps of current and no more. Your Apple keyboard is plugged in to a USB port that will not, by design, allow it to draw more than 500ma. The keyboard needs to use some power, as keyboards actually do have a fair amount of circuitry in them.

Since the keyboard is not connected to any external power supply, it can't provide a full 500ma to an iPod. iPods want lots of power to recharge their batteries.

When you connect an iPod directly to a powered USB hub or a USB port on a computer, the full designed 500ma of current is available.

That is why iPods work when connected to a powered USB hub or a computer, but not when connected to a USB keyboard.

Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them.
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what sort of magic do you figure Matias is up to with their new USB 2.0 keyboard
stuaz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now i understand!! Thanks
Ranter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
So what sort of magic do you figure Matias is up to with their new USB 2.0 keyboard

Unless they are using the mechanical motion of the keytops to generate electricity and then storing it in a battery onboard the keyboard, then I think you'll find that you cannot charge an iPod on these keyboards.

Of course they could provide a wall wart and let you connect a source of 5VDC directly to the keyboard, but I doubt it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
ranger1021

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mabye its got an slot inside it for batteries or it doesn't really work with Shuffle? Confused
Ranter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranger1021 wrote:
Mabye its got an slot inside it for batteries or it doesn't really work with Shuffle? Confused

I think that the Shuffle does not require as much charging current as the other iPod models, so you may be able to charge a Shuffle from a keyboard.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
edoug

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: shuffle sorta charges Reply with quote

until last week when I bought a belkin 2.0 hub (the one w/ the top spot for the shuffle) i was charging off the keyboard...sorta. i was losing ground on keeping it charged the whole time! it works much better off the hub.

on an unrelated note, however, my shuffle seems to get lost on the belkin hub and I get nasty warnings from iTunes, or at least it did until I put another device on the hub (a samsung smart phone)...now it seems fine. very strange.
Umbral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

The keyboard actually uses 2 USB connections. I assume 1 is for the keyboard, and the other is for the built in hub...tricky!
Ranter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umbral wrote:
The keyboard actually uses 2 USB connections. I assume 1 is for the keyboard, and the other is for the built in hub...tricky!

Very tricksy, but maybe not enough. It's getting 2 x 500ma (one ampere @ 5 volts), but if it has two downstream ports they could conceivably draw 500ma each. This would leave the keyboard starving for more electrons.

I had a USB hub like that once, it had 4 downstream ports and on the upstream side it connected to 2 USB ports. It did not work very well until I connected it to a 5 volt wall wart.

Still, for most applications it likely will work out. Not all USB devices require power from the port, and many that do don't need the full 500ma limit.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: